U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 08:59 PM

9,792 posts, read 13,402,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Japan occupied Taiwan for about the same time, and look at what Taiwan is now. Yeah, it must have been other people's fault!

At least they speak English... what do you mean? That's an "achievement"? Not sure why a country is "better off" by speaking English. Well, at least the Haitians all speak French.
As far as English goes, of course it's an advantage to speak the closest thing to a global lingua franca. They still speak their own language too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 AM

4,548 posts, read 3,131,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You know that around these parts, validating or even mentioning that there are people of Chinese descent who have an identity anything other than Chinese first and foremost, or that there is anything positive to be had from association with the West will result in a swift and emotional rebuke.
if you disagree with the red nationalists living in western countries on this board, they want to immediately send you to a labor reeducation camp.

free exchange of ideas?! What's that?!

dear leader says obey!

Old 01-16-2017, 01:42 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,820,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The Philippines belonged to the US.
Americans butchered just as many Filipinos as the Japanese did in WWII when the Philippines were under America's "benevolent" and "enlightened" rule. Some Filipinos like Duterte remember this fact quite well which is why he is such a huge fan of America. Ironically, as much as Americans criticize the Japanese for supposedly forgetting its atrocities in WWII, almost no one in America remembers the atrocities that occurred during the Philippines-American War and its subsequent occupation and it is hardly more than a footnote when teaching US history in high school.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:56 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,315,662 times
Quote:
As far as English goes, of course it's an advantage to speak the closest thing to a global lingua franca. They still speak their own language too...
where is your evidence?

I don't see that English speaking countries are more successful than non-English speaking ones.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:02 AM

9,792 posts, read 13,402,098 times
Quote:
where is your evidence?
English is widely regarded as such. Do you disagree with this? If so, what do you propose is more of a global lingua franca at this time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca
Quote:
The use of lingua francas has existed since antiquity. Latin and Koine Greek were the lingua francas of the Roman Empire and the Hellenistic culture. Akkadian and then Aramaic remained the common languages of a large part of Western Asia from several earlier empires.[10][11] Examples of lingua francas remain numerous and exist on every continent. The most obvious example as of the early 21st century is English. There are many other lingua francas in particular regions, such as French, Spanish, Urdu, Hindi, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin, and Swahili.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis..._lingua_franca
English - the universal language on the Internet?
https://www.altalang.com/beyond-word...-franca-today/

Quote:
I don't see that English speaking countries are more successful than non-English speaking ones.
My statement had nothing to do with the levels of attainment of English speaking countries, but one way or the other... of course you don't. You've made your dislike of Anglosphere nations abundantly clear.

My point remains the same: how is speaking the currently most widely-used global lingua franca not advantageous?

Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Americans butchered just as many Filipinos as the Japanese did in WWII when the Philippines were under America's "benevolent" and "enlightened" rule. Some Filipinos like Duterte remember this fact quite well which is why he is such a huge fan of America. Ironically, as much as Americans criticize the Japanese for supposedly forgetting its atrocities in WWII, almost no one in America remembers the atrocities that occurred during the Philippines-American War and its subsequent occupation and it is hardly more than a footnote when teaching US history in high school.
They were mostly moros so its ok. Moros are jihadists and they continually cause problems in the phillipines.

Quote:
You've made your dislike of Anglosphere nations abundantly clear.
Yet he comfortable lives in the anglosphere and enjoys its clean air.

In other news:

China's Zhou Youguang, father of Pinyin writing system, dies aged 111 - BBC News

They had to use roman characters to teach the han mandarin....the irony

Old 01-16-2017, 10:56 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,315,662 times
Quote:
English is widely regarded as such. Do you disagree with this? If so, what do you propose is more of a global lingua franca at this time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_franca

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis..._lingua_franca
English - the universal language on the Internet?
https://www.altalang.com/beyond-word...-franca-today/

My statement had nothing to do with the levels of attainment of English speaking countries, but one way or the other... of course you don't. You've made your dislike of Anglosphere nations abundantly clear.

My point remains the same: how is speaking the currently most widely-used global lingua franca not advantageous?
No, no one disputes that English is the lingua franca. I am not crazy and I never said it is not.

But in your post you obvious implied that the benefit of American occupation is bringing in English, and I disputed that. Speaking English gives no advantage whatsoever, otherwise, the UK would be a lot more advanced than France or Germany.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I am not crazy

Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,274,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
I wonder if the British never gave up Hong Kong and if it was still a British Colony, how would things be like?

I also wonder if it became under the control of the USA, I wonder how different things would have been including in the cultural and international aspects? Especially with USA being a international super power and the most influential internationally. This would be very interesting.
Hong Kong, in feel, for any tourist, is still the same. I was in Hong Kong before the turnover, and it still had it's different law system, it's own currency, it's own laws, etc. separate from China.

The only things that have changed are 1) British can't easily just move to HK and work anywhere like they could before - i.e. they have to do paperwork now, and 2) Beijing is directly influencing the politics of Hong Kong now.

Everything else is basically the same.

What if the U.S. had power in Hong Kong? Hong Kong would favor American English over British ENnglish, there would probably be some bizarre gun debate (the Philippines was an American colony, and tons of the gun politics and more of the u.s. violence), etc.

In general, people also look at Philippines vs. Malaysia/Singapore, etc...and the gun violence stats are significantly higher, and also the British legacy is that more of their colonies are interested in literature/higher arts/etc...where places like the Philippines are more into tv-watching, dramas, lower common denomintor stuff - i.e. more like the U.S. in that regard. (I'm not saying that today's British aren't tv-watching and lower educated like the U.S.), but that has academically shown up in a lot of colonialism comparison literature.

In short, I'm an American myself, but Hong Kong is better off with the British over American influences.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:50 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,209,576 times
Quote:
No, no one disputes that English is the lingua franca. I am not crazy and I never said it is not.

But in your post you obvious implied that the benefit of American occupation is bringing in English, and I disputed that. Speaking English gives no advantage whatsoever, otherwise, the UK would be a lot more advanced than France or Germany.
Logic fail. And also, those two countries have a very rate of speaking English as a second language. Moreover, of the top 10 economies in the world, 3 have English has the primary language (or 4 if you consider the actual business communication in India). Of the others, there is no other language occurs even twice. English is decidedly advantageous - how can it not be advantageous to speak the effective lingua franca?

Your usual silly jingoism is showing. Hadn't you better go watch Flowers of the Motherland?

(or to soothe your brow let me say English is the lingua franca for historical reasons, not because it is inherently better than any other language - it isn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or