U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:29 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Also for the record, American BBQ is easily available in Seoul (although not as widespread), and it is just as good as here in the US.
"Good" is subjective. For example, practically all Chinese would argue KFC is way tastier in China than in the US, although it is an American thing. Koreans probably would think the same about American BBQ.

I personally prefer Asian styled bbq, because the American version usually is very plain in the taste, and what you do is just to blush a layer of sauce once it is done, which is far from as tasty as marinated meat, typical of Korean style BBQ. Most of sauces are not tasty either, often overly sweet (honey this and that) or too strong. Asian people in general don't like the idea of cooking a large chunk of plain meat and put sauce on it afterwards. They want the spice to be in very fiber of the meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,129,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
South Koreans have so much wealth they practically eat BBQ every week but not North Koreans.
Well it's not like BBQ is particularly fancy.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 PM

22,169 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
"Good" is subjective. For example, practically all Chinese would argue KFC is way tastier in China than in the US, although it is an American thing. Koreans probably would think the same about American BBQ.

I personally prefer Asian styled bbq, because the American version usually is very plain in the taste, and what you do is just to blush a layer of sauce once it is done, which is far from as tasty as marinated meat, typical of Korean style BBQ. Most of sauces are not tasty either, often overly sweet (honey this and that) or too strong. Asian people in general don't like the idea of cooking a large chunk of plain meat and put sauce on it afterwards. They want the spice to be in very fiber of the meat.
KFC is sort of the garbage fast version of fried chicken in the US. Since it's actually a dish native to the area, KFC's whole point is basically to undercut in price through mass production so it's not going to be particularly good in the US. Really good southern style fried chicken in the US at an actually good place is a massive step up. Though in my experience, irrespective of how it's cooked, the average chicken meat from a grocery store in the US is usually a noticeable step down in taste to the average chicken meat from a grocery store in lots of East Asia (or maybe the world).

I believe what you're talking about with American style bbq is actually different from what they're eating in the video. It sounds like what you're thinking about is something like a pseudo Kansas-style bbq since you're talking about strong and sweet sauces but without much taste in the meat. That's usually a sweet, thick sauce poured over everything and shouldn't properly be called barbecue because the meat is simply grilled. Barbecue is actually supposed to be a long smoking process, in some varieties with a very strong spice rub, that is very slowly cooked with the smoke for hours upon hours and sauces in most regions aren't slathered on in large quantities and are only sometimes sweet though more often vinegary and spicy. The sauces are also usually used for a light dip, similar to sauces in Korean barbecue, rather than coming drenched over the whole thing.

What you're thinking of when it comes to American barbecue is quite different from what would be considered real barbecue and this video is definitely a variant of real barbecue rather than the sort of commercially expedient version you're talking about.

Both videos are super interesting, but the North Korean much more so. It's unfortunate that there weren't more questions personally regarding the people in the South Korean video or a wider spectrum of people.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-19-2017 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I believe what you're talking about with American style bbq is actually different from what they're eating in the video. It sounds like what you're thinking about is something like a pseudo Kansas-style bbq since you're talking about strong and sweet sauces but without much taste in the meat. That's usually a sweet, thick sauce poured over everything and shouldn't properly be called barbecue because the meat is simply grilled. Barbecue is actually supposed to be a long smoking process, in some varieties with a very strong spice rub, that is very slowly cooked with the smoke for hours upon hours and sauces in most regions aren't slathered on in large quantities and are only sometimes sweet though more often vinegary and spicy. The sauces are also usually used for a light dip, similar to sauces in Korean barbecue, rather than coming drenched over the whole thing.

What you're thinking of when it comes to American barbecue is quite different from what would be considered real barbecue and this video is definitely a variant of real barbecue rather than the sort of commercially expedient version you're talking about.
Thanks for explaining this. That was exactly what I was wondering. Good to know American BBQ is more than just some grilled meat covered with thick layers of sweet sauce afterwards. That was indeed my experience.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:29 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

KFC is basically like McDonalds. It is garbage, the lowest of the low.

If Chinese have a higher opinion of KFC than Americans do, it is because they have never tried American BBQ, etc.

American BBQ actually IS marinated deeply in the sauces. Maybe look on youtube for BBQ contests and cookoffs, and on and on. They'll talk about how many days it is marinated, and the sauces, and get heavily into the details.

I understand why you'd have the wrong concept though, as I've lived in Asia for a very long time (and I'm also an American). But, in Asia, when they try to make american foods, they often copy the worst of the worst - i.e. mcdonalds or kfc.....so, it is almost impossible to get anything authentic in Asia.

In all the time I've lived in Asia, I only found authentic American food once, and it was in Tokyo, and they had a menu of 100s of American foods from all the different regions, including various Texas and Southern BBQ's....I was really impressed.

But, yeah, in general, American BBQ is Asia, is almost completely absent or ignored, except for the strange horrible KFC-like copies, which are not authentic at all.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 AM

22,169 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Garbage is a bit harsh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or