U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 11:05 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,089,102 times

Advertisements

maybe its not about culture but the inconvenience of going to the train station when you live in the suburbs of LA, say you live in San Bernardino or Irvine. compared that with airports, practically every county have airports so getting there is not that much of a hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:03 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Culture is most certainly part of it. Trains will never be extremely popular in the US like I said I know people that won't use public transportation to go to work, even though they have the option to. People in the US like their cars and trucks it's partially a status symbol for many people and people spend a lot of money on them.

If there was large demand for it, it would have happened by now. Also you would have to factor in the cost of the private land between Los Angeles and San Fran. would you be willing to have your taxes raised to pay for it? Nothing is free. People just don't care enough about trains in the U.S. they see flying as the main alternative to cars/trucks. Like I said the U.S. already has Amtrak anyway and a lot of people don't even use it.
I get what you mean, but it is only because Americans never get the luxury to enjoy the convenience and comfort of high speed trains. You call this culture, fine, I call it lack of experience.

Amtrak? You can't seriously compare Amtrak to a modern train system. Amtrak is like train systems crawling from the 1980s and never advanced. Good some pictures of high speed trains in France, Japan and China. Amtrak is a dinosaur, incredibly slow and outdated.

My mother took the Via train in Canada once, and asked me "why is this train so old, slow and uncomfortable". I had to tell her Canada was stuck in the 1980s when it comes to train transportation.

Of course there is a demand, especially in coastal California or Northeast. The problem is the lack of political will. Serious about fighting climate change? Start with this. Otherwise, it is all empty talk.

Another reason is Americans are not willing to pay for it. They can give up their cheap gas price that is unseen in the rest of the western world. Of course infrastructure sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or