U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2017, 12:45 AM
 
569 posts, read 373,104 times
Reputation: 275

Advertisements

Hong Kong was ceased to the then British Crown permantely. The Opium War(s) were waged in the British Royal House's name.


The Northern portions of the lands, ?Junglong (spelling?) was leased for about ?100 years. The reason for the leasing was the Junglong areas were very dirty and "uncultured", that effected the living standards of Hong Kong.


The problem for the British was that Hong Kong leaping from a small expandable trade post to the international trade hub for Asia Pacifics even to the S. Indian Ocean, and the island could not sustain itself without the leased lands.


And it is not the Chinese' natures to sign anything. So, you guess the result.


To reply your question, Hong Kong has been managed like Singapore. The Chinese are Chinese afterall. The Western ideals of the invisible governments don't exsit in China. Sorry kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
The Western ideals of the invisible governments don't exsit in China. Sorry kids.
Western Invisible governments? humm, not sure where the west you are referring to, but I am sure the French, among many other western countries, won't agree. It is more of an anglo-saxon "ideal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2017, 02:48 AM
 
569 posts, read 373,104 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby2016 View Post
I know that when the British colonized Hong Kong, it was a lease with China allowing England to do whatever they want to it for a certain amount of time, which was over 100 years.

However, they never bought the island from China. I wonder why they decided to lease it instead of buying the island from China.

Also, China lost the opium war to England, and the deal was that if China loses, Hong Kong will belong to the British.

As I know, the British was using Hong Kong as a trading port for opium and other products to bring into China. When China saw what the opium was doing to the people, they wanted stop the import, but England refused which resulted in an opium war.

I wonder if Hong Kong has been given a same status like Singapore, can they survive?
As far as I understood, it was Hong Kong island(s) had been given away. It was to give the island as Macuc for their permament settlement, or the bases, for those matters. But the British were interested in the trades, so, of course, the shores were given, too. It was like: please stay in your home and stop bugging me.


The 70% or more of today's Hong Kong was the New Territory namely for that timely time in the lease. The inhabitants' bad habits bugged the brits in Koolowng too much. Therefore, the leasing of 99-100 years for the land was signed. The leasing name was the New Territrory from China.


Ok, I finally found a compitable font. Let's continue. But, of course, the Chinese would never give away the lands. It was like you would never give away your porch for your neighbour to set up the BQQ store(s). Anyway, not to the Brits. Therefore, the result that you knew these days.


So, this question of yours is out the question from me. Thank you.


But that is just me. So, Thank you again.

Last edited by CPPU12345; 02-23-2017 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: to answer the OP's question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2017, 03:07 AM
 
569 posts, read 373,104 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Western Invisible governments? humm, not sure where the west you are referring to, but I am sure the French, among many other western countries, won't agree. It is more of an anglo-saxon "ideal".
Yeah, and when King Athaur returns, what will you dooooooooo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2017, 03:20 AM
 
569 posts, read 373,104 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by laptoprecycleservices View Post
no idea which one is good.. because now visit there....
It was before the '97, I was there twice. Once entry and once to board the aircraft for the departure. The place looked orderly to me, not what their movies suggested.


I have no ideas what it is like there now. I know they do some constructions, airports, the harbour and probably something more . I mean the constructions. Don't take me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Mendocino, CA
858 posts, read 554,048 times
Reputation: 561
Like many have said, HK island and Kowloon was given to the British permanently. Here is how they all got returned to China:

During the 80's when the return of New Territory was being negotiated, Deng Xiao Ping demanded HK island and Kowloon must be given back to China together with New Territory, and threatened to use force to take them if the British did not agree. Understanding Britain could not defend HK island and Kowloon, Thatcher relented on this and instead sought to maximize Britain's economic interest in Hong Kong after the handover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2017, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Like many have said, HK island and Kowloon was given to the British permanently. Here is how they all got returned to China:

During the 80's when the return of New Territory was being negotiated, Deng Xiao Ping demanded HK island and Kowloon must be given back to China together with New Territory, and threatened to use force to take them if the British did not agree. Understanding Britain could not defend HK island and Kowloon, Thatcher relented on this and instead sought to maximize Britain's economic interest in Hong Kong after the handover.
What were some of things that Thatcher did to maximize Britain's economic interest in Hong Kong after the handover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2017, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,806 posts, read 808,088 times
Reputation: 1840
Why not? There are even smaller countries in the world.

But you need to be aware that Singapore and Hong Kong are totally different.

Singapore is an authoritarian state with very little press freedom and quite some Sharia law. However, the dictator of Singapore made some good decisions to boost the economy, making Singapore the only developed country that is very politically oppressive.

If Hong Kong were granted independence, it would probably look like Taiwan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Reputation: 9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Why not? There are even smaller countries in the world.

But you need to be aware that Singapore and Hong Kong are totally different.

Singapore is an authoritarian state with very little press freedom and quite some Sharia law. However, the dictator of Singapore made some good decisions to boost the economy, making Singapore the only developed country that is very politically oppressive.

If Hong Kong were granted independence, it would probably look like Taiwan.

Singapore isn't under Sharia Law. It's not even an Islamic state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
1,806 posts, read 808,088 times
Reputation: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Singapore isn't under Sharia Law. It's not even an Islamic state.
Singapore is half Islamic state, half North Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top