U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:07 AM

621 posts, read 382,847 times

Advertisements

^^

I got you. But what is that to refute the posters comment that Bali is more popular than the entire Phils when in fact it has still 2 million more tourists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 04:54 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
^^

I got you. But what is that to refute the posters comment that Bali is more popular than the entire Phils when in fact it has still 2 million more tourists?
I thought he said Indonesia but still if you look at the size... the Philippines should have way more tourists than just 2 million more than Bali.
Bali is just HALF the size of Panay island.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I thought he said Indonesia but still if you look at the size... the Philippines should have way more tourists than just 2 million more than Bali.
Bali is just HALF the size of Panay island.
Main factor is probably location. Unlike its neighbors it literally has no option to cross borders. For example Malaysia which gets tourists how many, 7million Singaporeans? Wow thats too many and in fact that is more than the actual pop of Singapura. Indonesiahas also borders close to Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia and Australia. No wonder their largest number of tourists are coming from these countries. Same goes with Thailand, only thing is it has more visitors from out of the borders. Heck, even Japan doesn't have as much tourists as Malaysia or Thailand. There maybe some other factors but I consider them minor ones.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:36 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
Quote:
What do you mean Bali better than the Phils? Boracay alone has been consistently on the top list of beach destinations in the world. While the pristine Palawan has been top of the list for 2 consecutive years for Conde Naste. Even Cebu is above Bali.
I really like both Boracay and Palawan, but they have nowhere near the tourist infrastructure of Bali. For one, getting to Palawan is difficult - i.e. Manila to Puerto Princesa and then a long trek north, or direct to El Nido on a propeller plane. Boracay is easier, but most flights also have to go through Manila, with the few international ones being from other major Asian cities...i.e. Hong Kong.

Same situation as always with Philippines, fantastic islands...but not so easy to get to.

Cebu......I like Cebu, as a city. It's not much of a touristic place. THe few beaches are privately-owned resorts. Ayala Mall is good for a shopping mall...a few tourist sites....but basically Cebu is a nice city to live in, especially for a foreigner on a retired income. But a tourist is going to be awed by Bali, and not so awed by Cebu.

I like the Philippines....but Bali is more accessible, easier for a tourist to get to, has an incredible lot to offer (over any single destination in the PHilippines).

That being said, you really wouldn't want that amount of tourists going to either El Nido or BOracay.....

Old 03-03-2017, 05:39 PM

4,517 posts, read 3,099,103 times
unification, democracy and secularization is the key to prosperity to in southeast asia. The people are too divided.

SHould just speak english and fly the flag of garuda on each island.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:11 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,846,014 times
Quote:
I dont think so currently Phils is still better in infrastructure and most indicators including economic growth. But let's see after decades to go.
Quote:
What do you mean Bali better than the Phils? Boracay alone has been consistently on the top list of beach destinations in the world. While the pristine Palawan has been top of the list for 2 consecutive years for Conde Naste. Even Cebu is above Bali.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Bali alone got 5 million tourists in 2016, the entire Phillipines only 2 million more.
Quote:
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
if southeast asia was smart, they would return to their majapahit roots, unite, and secularize; they would extremely be prosperous.
First initial question: Are they culturally identical? Other than all of those islands? Maybe they aren’t even too alien compared to each other somehow for Indonesia versus the Philippines. Outside of Java, and Bali islands, the rest of Indonesia is quite rustic going back decades retro vibes. Are those areas of the Philippines having this extreme variation from Luzon main island to the other zones? What are their history together?

I wonder how their beaches are rivaling those of Thailand! Claiming all of the attention. We all hear of Palawan, and Boracay. Offer to us insight the best beaches of Indonesia. Are they all in Bali?

A lot of them are Australian Oceania tourists expressing their own rites of passage to travel bragging rights. Elite International status. Very trendy act for them to fulfill because Indonesia is relatively nearby on geographic lines. Especially for a quite isolated country. All of those ethnic Australians partying around Bali are quite an audience.

Depends on where you go in Southeast Asia. Cambodia or Laos might fit your own negative stereotypes, yet Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Vietnam are quite the opposite of those derogatory false claims. All encompassing a high IQ, and adequate infrastructure to what people require.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I wonder how their beaches are rivaling those of Thailand! Claiming all of the attention. We all hear of Palawan, and Boracay. Offer to us insight the best beaches of Indonesia. Are they all in Bali?
THere are tons of beautiful beaches throughout Philippines and Indonesia...everywhere.

The issue is tourist infrastructure. Thailand and Bali have fantastic tourist infrastructure that makes them very easily accessible.

As a person who has spent a lot time in the Philippines, as you take ferries, you constantly see gorgeous beaches, and nothing on the map for them....there are also tons of 'the next Boracay' throughout the Philippines...implying that people are speculating people will someday go there, but same issues apply...or often times in the Philippines the gorgeous beaches are all bought up by developers into private-property and you can only access it through the hotel or developer. All kinds of issues...but they definitely have tons and tons of gorgeous beaches in the PHilippines and Indonesia....so much so that when I see photos of Tahiti or Bora-Bora or some other expensive beach paradise....my first thought is you can see the same thing throughout the PHilippines for a fraction of the price....they are just not easy to get to....

In short...Thailand just does it best with tourist infrastructure and economies-of-scale....Bali as well.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I really like both Boracay and Palawan, but they have nowhere near the tourist infrastructure of Bali. For one, getting to Palawan is difficult - i.e. Manila to Puerto Princesa and then a long trek north, or direct to El Nido on a propeller plane. Boracay is easier, but most flights also have to go through Manila, with the few international ones being from other major Asian cities...i.e. Hong Kong.

Same situation as always with Philippines, fantastic islands...but not so easy to get to.

Cebu......I like Cebu, as a city. It's not much of a touristic place. THe few beaches are privately-owned resorts. Ayala Mall is good for a shopping mall...a few tourist sites....but basically Cebu is a nice city to live in, especially for a foreigner on a retired income. But a tourist is going to be awed by Bali, and not so awed by Cebu.

I like the Philippines....but Bali is more accessible, easier for a tourist to get to, has an incredible lot to offer (over any single destination in the PHilippines).

That being said, you really wouldn't want that amount of tourists going to either El Nido or BOracay.....
Maybe what you are referring to is Cebu City or the Cebu Metro. What is being referred to here is Cebu Province. Yes Bali is interesting but not sure it can be more interesting than the whole Cebu Province in general. And how could be Bali more accessible than the 2nd richest and important metro in the Philippines?

Old 03-04-2017, 09:17 AM

6,581 posts, read 3,638,317 times
Quote:
Maybe what you are referring to is Cebu City or the Cebu Metro. What is being referred to here is Cebu Province. Yes Bali is interesting but not sure it can be more interesting than the whole Cebu Province in general. And how could be Bali more accessible than the 2nd richest and important metro in the Philippines?
I guess island to island some think it is easier to get around Bali than Cebu after you land? Then from a tourist standpoint does the Hindu culture look more different from their homes than a Catholic culture thus serves as a lure?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I like Cebu, but Bali is significantly more interesting than Cebu.

People don't fly to Cebu to explore Cebu Island. They usually high-tail it for Bohol after a few days of shopping malls and discovering that Cebu's Mactan Island beaches aren't that interesting.

Some people make their way to Moalboal (the only other potentially interesting place on Cebu Island besides Cebu City)...but is more of a diving place, with inaccessible beach properties, again, much like Mactan Island, that you pay a resort to sit at their property for awhile.

There is Bantayan Island and Malapascua Islands above Cebu City, but unfortunately the roads aren't that good....takes forever to get up there without much to do along the way. Those islands are nice, but they aren't part of Cebu Island, and again, it takes a lot of time to get to them, due to poor touristic infrastructure.

I like Cebu, but it's not that interesting really, and its difficult to recommend it to others as some amazing touristic place to visit. I'd much prefer Bali, Hanoi, Penang, Chiang Mai, Kyoto, Osaka, on and on, etc., etc.

If someone were to visit the Philippines, I would tell them to get out of Cebu after just a couple days....whereas if someone is visiting the Indonesia, it is clearly understood that they should be spending a significant chunk of their Indonesia time in Bali itself. In the Philippines, I would say Palawan, Boracay, Bohol...Cebu Island is what I'd recommend them to fly into, just so they can avoid Manila, if they have a choice between the two cities to enter the Philippines. I would never tell anyone to spend a few weeks on Cebu Island.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 03-04-2017 at 08:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or