U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 06:14 PM

22,136 posts, read 23,648,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
NAIA, as an airport, is fine. Tons of great restaurants in there.

It's no more crowded than anywhere else.

The downside is the taxi touts outside of the terminal, but the airport itself is fine.
The taxi touts are super aggressive. You can build whatever you want, but they really made my airport experiences pretty terrible.

Indonesia, or at least Jakarta versus Manila, definitely seemed more developed and much less seedy. A lot of the overall metrics such as homicide rates, Human Development Index, inequality-adjusted human development index, nominal GDP per capita, and GDP per capita by purchasing power parity all favor Indonesia. However, all except the last two don't favor Indonesia by that much, so I think for countries this populous, it's going to be a lot more about region to region comparisons rather than country to country since I'm sure there's a lot of overlapping areas that have similar degrees of development.

That being said, it does seem like Indonesia is moving in the right direction more than the Philippines are. Certainly, their respective presidents make for an interesting comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:38 PM

621 posts, read 382,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The taxi touts are super aggressive. You can build whatever you want, but they really made my airport experiences pretty terrible.

Indonesia, or at least Jakarta versus Manila, definitely seemed more developed and much less seedy. A lot of the overall metrics such as homicide rates, Human Development Index, inequality-adjusted human development index, nominal GDP per capita, and GDP per capita by purchasing power parity all favor Indonesia. However, all except the last two don't favor Indonesia by that much, so I think for countries this populous, it's going to be a lot more about region to region comparisons rather than country to country since I'm sure there's a lot of overlapping areas that have similar degrees of development.

That being said, it does seem like Indonesia is moving in the right direction more than the Philippines are. Certainly, their respective presidents make for an interesting comparison.

With how your semantics are structured you seem to be bittergourd with Phils and Manila. No wonder.

A poor system can be changed faster than poor infrastructure which can take years.

Check this video about NAIAs improvements, you got more riding options, more orderly private & normal taxis and UBE premium buses now:

https://youtu.be/r_g4KmxM2N0

https://youtu.be/VruZgyDfrKE

https://youtu.be/Vga0Pt1i5Zc

Old 10-26-2017, 05:47 AM

13 posts, read 5,800 times
Development of LRT Palembang, South Sumatera
It will be among the first non-capital city to have urban train system in Southeast Asia

Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 AM

13 posts, read 5,800 times
Development of modern integrated city of Meikarta, Cikarang, West Java

progress

Orange County:

Courtesy of @nurcahyaswastika

Meikarta:

Courtesy of @nurcahyaswastika

Courtesy of @gitafitriadewi

Courtesy of @pramramon

Courtesy of @atung_rocksiders045

Old 10-26-2017, 07:52 AM

22,136 posts, read 23,648,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
With how your semantics are structured you seem to be bittergourd with Phils and Manila. No wonder.

A poor system can be changed faster than poor infrastructure which can take years.

Check this video about NAIAs improvements, you got more riding options, more orderly private & normal taxis and UBE premium buses now:

https://youtu.be/r_g4KmxM2N0

https://youtu.be/VruZgyDfrKE

https://youtu.be/Vga0Pt1i5Zc
You misunderstand. The way the phrasing works is that it’s an emphasis on needing to reel in how aggressive the taxi touts are. They are crazy aggressive against foreigners. That is a statement not about the quality of the airport itself, but of the experience and the lack of any sort of enforced rule or regulation on this.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yeah, so much corruption at the airport.

That's what surprised me about Duterte. He talks about his aggressive anti-corruption campaign, and you'd think he would start with the highly visible airport corruption that hits up every foreigner and local alike, the moment they hit the airport.

I stopped in Manila for a few days back a few months ago, and no changes whatsoever. I'll be back again in December, and see if it has changed yet again.

You have layers upon layers upon layers of official-looking people all over the airport, and before the taxi stands; all trying to rip off foreigners with incredibly overpriced taxis. It seems SO EASY to legislate or enforce, and particularly desirable if you were Duterte to focus on something so VISIBLE.

But, it's ignored.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 AM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
Quote:
Yeah, so much corruption at the airport.

That's what surprised me about Duterte. He talks about his aggressive anti-corruption campaign, and you'd think he would start with the highly visible airport corruption that hits up every foreigner and local alike, the moment they hit the airport.

I stopped in Manila for a few days back a few months ago, and no changes whatsoever. I'll be back again in December, and see if it has changed yet again.

You have layers upon layers upon layers of official-looking people all over the airport, and before the taxi stands; all trying to rip off foreigners with incredibly overpriced taxis. It seems SO EASY to legislate or enforce, and particularly desirable if you were Duterte to focus on something so VISIBLE.

But, it's ignored.
Before seeing a taxi you have to clear customs. And from what I understand that was the first target of President Duterte, getting rid of the bullet scam and other uniformed officials graft.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:09 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,154,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Before seeing a taxi you have to clear customs. And from what I understand that was the first target of President Duterte, getting rid of the bullet scam and other uniformed officials graft.
I looked up the dates I was there...August 26-28, 2016.

Duterte's term began June 30, 2016.

I'll be back in Manila again in December, it'll be interesting to see if that has indeed been cleaned up. It wasn't cleaned up within the first two months anyways. But, that was just over a year ago now.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:01 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

that had been fixed I think. so now, as long as you don't have illegal in your baggage, I submit you don't have a problem with the airport customs, immigration and police.

it is outside that's the problem. the accredited taxis have scumbags in their midst and these are the problems.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:04 PM

621 posts, read 382,346 times
Quote:
I looked up the dates I was there...August 26-28, 2016.

Duterte's term began June 30, 2016.

I'll be back in Manila again in December, it'll be interesting to see if that has indeed been cleaned up. It wasn't cleaned up within the first two months anyways. But, that was just over a year ago now.
The bullet scam has already been fixed including the aggressive taxis as shown on the youtube videos I posted unless it has came back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or