U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Reputation: 3063

Advertisements

Usually I rather opt out for modern progressive wealthy enough rather than too traditional or unconventional. Vibrant fun sufficient with enough nightlife or Independent cafes even. Ample paid work opportunities, especially to foreign expatriates. Including for my own professional wisdom knowledge technical switching from Website Developing of Computers to Architect Of Buildings.


First Tier Of Classification System: Shanghai China, Saigon Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam, Hong Kong, Seoul South Korea, Taipei Taiwan, Tokyo Japan, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Bangkok Thailand, Hanoi Vietnam

West Of India Dividing Line: Dubai UAE, Doha Qatar, Manama Bahrain, Kuwait City Kuwait, Baku Azerbaijan

Second Tier: Phuket Thailand, Georgetown Malaysia, Hoi An Vietnam, Busan South Korea, Kaohsiung Taiwan, Taichung Taiwan, Kyoto Japan

Abu Dhabi UAE, Almaty Kazakhstan, Astana Kazakhstan

Final Third Tier: Harbin Heilongjiang China, Kunming Yunnan Province, Jakarta Indonesia

Muscat Oman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2017, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Usually I rather opt out for modern progressive wealthy enough rather than too traditional or unconventional. Vibrant fun sufficient with enough nightlife or Independent cafes even. Ample paid work opportunities, especially to foreign expatriates. Including for my own professional wisdom knowledge technical switching from Website Developing of Computers to Architect Of Buildings.


First Tier Of Classification System: Shanghai China, Saigon Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam, Hong Kong, Seoul South Korea, Taipei Taiwan, Tokyo Japan, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Bangkok Thailand, Hanoi Vietnam

West Of India Dividing Line: Dubai UAE, Doha Qatar, Manama Bahrain, Kuwait City Kuwait, Baku Azerbaijan

Second Tier: Phuket Thailand, Georgetown Malaysia, Hoi An Vietnam, Busan South Korea, Kaohsiung Taiwan, Taichung Taiwan, Kyoto Japan

Abu Dhabi UAE, Almaty Kazakhstan, Astana Kazakhstan

Final Third Tier: Harbin Heilongjiang China, Kunming Yunnan Province, Jakarta Indonesia

Muscat Oman
Lots of these places are located on islands, not mainland Asia.

And I feel like a broken record but Taichung and Kaohsiung are both terrible places. Taipei is slightly better (only because of the public transportation and less air pollution) but not much.

Last edited by Greysholic; 02-07-2017 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Reputation: 3342
I've only been to mainland China. But I was super impressed with Shanghai. Most of the other cities were so-so, and I didn't care for Beijing.

My favorite major cities in Asia are Shanghai, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo, Singapore, and Seoul in no particular order. The Petronas Towers are some of my favorite buildings in the world.

I lived in Shanghai for 3 months and loved it. It's a great combination of Chinese and Western culture. It's also an easy place for English speakers to live.

Hong Kong has always been one of my favorite cities and I would like to visit it someday.

Seoul has more recently entered into my favorite cities. I watch a lot of Korean tv shows and the city is very beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 02:11 PM
 
76 posts, read 39,773 times
Reputation: 99
I don't understand OP's concept of "mainland Asia". Please clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2017, 02:27 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
12,572 posts, read 15,041,157 times
Reputation: 12118
Favorite cities in Asia: Hong Kong, Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, and Seoul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Orange County, CA, USA
451 posts, read 1,078,886 times
Reputation: 357
I also am confused with the OP using the term "Mainland Asia." Does that mean continential Asia? If so then cities like Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, Jakarta and a few others should not be included as they are on islands (e.g., Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia) and not on "Mainland Asia."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 PM
 
47 posts, read 26,325 times
Reputation: 23
Lhasa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 PM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've only been to mainland China. But I was super impressed with Shanghai. Most of the other cities were so-so, and I didn't care for Beijing.

My favorite major cities in Asia are Shanghai, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Tokyo, Singapore, and Seoul in no particular order. The Petronas Towers are some of my favorite buildings in the world.

I lived in Shanghai for 3 months and loved it. It's a great combination of Chinese and Western culture. It's also an easy place for English speakers to live.

Hong Kong has always been one of my favorite cities and I would like to visit it someday.

Seoul has more recently entered into my favorite cities. I watch a lot of Korean tv shows and the city is very beautiful.
Are there other mainland Chinese cities having a proper twin replication to Shanghai? Quite unique even with all of those numerous megalopolis major cities around. Much more modern than those traditional versions. http://2012books.lardbucket.org/book...0f3910c96e.jpg

“There are now over 160 cities in China with a population of over 1 million, according to China Today. Mega-cities like Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou have served as the engines of this growth, creating jobs and wealth” China's urban explosion: A 21st century challenge - CNN.com

A beginning list of all 160 of those one million+ people Chinese cities: Shanghai 24.5 million, Beijing 21.5, Guangzhou 20,800,654: Guangdong, Chongqing 18,384,000, Chengdu 17,677,122: Sichuan, Tianjin 15.500,000, Shenzhen 12,357,938: Guangdong, Harbin 12 million people: Heilongjiang, Wuhan 10,670,000: Hubei, Suzhou 10,349,090: Jiangsu(Wow up to 10 Chinese cities with more than 10 million each for the urban area!), Hangzhou 9,018,000: Zhejiang, Xi’an 8,627,500: Saanxi, Shenyang 8,255,921: Liaoning, Dongguan 8,220,937: Guangdong, Nanjing 8,216,000: Jiangsu, Foshan 7,197,394: Guangdong, Jinan 7,067,900: Shandong, Wenzhou 6,642,592: Zhejiang, Qingdao 6,188: Shandong,100, Quanzhou 6,107,475: Fujian, Shantou 5,346,708 million people: Guangdong, Changsha 5,288,800 million: Hunan(Woah, 22 Chinese cities with more than 5 million people each), Zhengzhou 4,253,627: Henan, Dalian 4,087,733: Liaoning, Kunming 3,583,429: Yunnan, Wuxi 3,542,319: Jiangsu, Xiamen 3,531,347: Fujian, Changchun 3.5 million people: Jilan, Ningbo 3,491,597: Zhejiang, Nanning 3,437,171: Guanqxi, Taiyuan 3,426,522: Shaanxi, Hefei 3,352,076: Anhui, Changzhou 3.3 million: Jiangsu, Tangshan 3.1-3.2 million people: Hebei, Zhongshan 3.1 million: Guangdong, Xuzhou 3,053,778: Jiangsu, Guiyang 3,037,159: Guizhou, Urumqi 3,029,372: Xinjiang, Zibo 2,980,800: Shangdong, Shijuazhuang 2,861,784: Hebei, Fuzhou 2,707,294: Fujian, Huai’an 2,633,420: Jiangsu, Linyi 2.6 million: Shangdong, Lanzhou 2,492,325: Gansu, Yangzhou: 2.4 million people: Jiangsu, Nanchang: 2,357,838: Jiangxi, Huizhou: 2,344,507: Guangdong, Nantong: 2,273,326: Jiangsu, Xiangyang: 2,199,689: Hubei! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._built-up_area

First city name, Population amount, and finally Province name when applicable. Only highlighting in bold when I knew the existence of the city before current research.

Remarkable if Shanghai, and Hong Kong are the only Chinese cities that you really admire. Outside of China, more easy to decipher with areas of Malaysia, Japan, Singapore, South Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 PM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lots of these places are located on islands, not mainland Asia.

And I feel like a broken record but Taichung and Kaohsiung are both terrible places. Taipei is slightly better (only because of the public transportation and less air pollution) but not much.
There is obscure identity occurring around the Mainland Asia label. Especially when going north or west of India. All of those islands are already belonging to the Continent without any hesitation. Especially around the Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan, etc.

Hmm, endless wonder why you are disparaging your own homeland. You have to remember what to be grateful of where you live.

Kaohsiung, and Taichung have millions of people in each, and are massive world class cities:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1705/...883082f6_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7348/...40af0751_b.jpg

https://pix6.agoda.net/hotelImages/3...jpg?s=1024x768

http://www.a-sscc2014.org/contents/i.../tpc/85sky.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/13/travel...-livable-city/

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 02-23-2017 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,114 posts, read 23,634,230 times
Reputation: 11606
By mainland Asia, do we just mean Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top