U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,315,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
415_s2k makes some great points. China's beauty is often overshadowed by poor infrastructure, poverty, and pollution. Ease of access to foreigners is also difficult compared to Japan.

China is a huge country that Japan probably can't compete with, from Hainan to Tibet and all the mountains and rivers in between. But for the typical western traveler, Japan is likely the better option to visit.

Both countries are very beautiful and one couldn't go wrong visiting either.
very much to the point.

In terms of natural beautify and diversity, of course China beats Japan easily. They are on completely different levels. It is like comparing France or Italy with Iceland. Whoever says Japan offers so much more must be completely insane.

However, I agree that in terms actual traveling experience, Japan is more pleasant, which is why many people strongly prefer Japan over China. I personally don't enjoy travelling in China, because just after seeing the most beautiful scenery, you may have to use a filthy toilet. In China, you also have to deal with so much scam, which I deeply loathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,660,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
very much to the point.

In terms of natural beautify and diversity, of course China beats Japan easily. They are on completely different levels. It is like comparing France or Italy with Iceland. Whoever says Japan offers so much more must be completely insane.

However, I agree that in terms actual traveling experience, Japan is more pleasant, which is why many people strongly prefer Japan over China. I personally don't enjoy travelling in China, because just after seeing the most beautiful scenery, you may have to use a filthy toilet. In China, you also have to deal with so much scam, which I deeply loathe.
I didn't even think about the squat toilets and the filth. I recently got back from a holiday in western Yunnan province and a western toilet could not be found except in our nice hotels. There was a Chinese chain hamburger place we stopped at that had nice toilets.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:17 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,279,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I didn't even think about the squat toilets and the filth. I recently got back from a holiday in western Yunnan province and a western toilet could not be found except in our nice hotels. There was a Chinese chain hamburger place we stopped at that had nice toilets.
Yep.

JAPAN....kills China. In Japan, they really know how to take care of the place. China is probably twenty years behind....

Old 03-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep.

JAPAN....kills China. In Japan, they really know how to take care of the place. China is probably twenty years behind....
no, definitely more than 20 years.

China is still at a stage where putting free toilet paper in public bathrooms is impossible because people keep stealing it.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM

6,797 posts, read 5,160,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep.

Taiwan is 20 years behind Japan, China is probably 50, or more, lol.

Quote:
squat toilets
I saw some of them in Japan like a few weeks ago and was surprised that they were there. I thought they only existed in ****holes like Taiwan.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM

9,792 posts, read 13,402,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

I saw some of them in Japan like a few weeks ago and was surprised that they were there. I thought they only existed in ****holes like Taiwan.
^ and China

I'd say that about 95% of public spaces in China use squatters. Other than Starbucks and high-end restaurants made in the last 5 years, that's what most places use.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:47 AM

6,797 posts, read 5,160,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
^ and China

I'd say that about 95% of public spaces in China use squatters. Other than Starbucks and high-end restaurants made in the last 5 years, that's what most places use.
Most public spaces have sit toilets here, in addition to squat ones next door.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:33 PM

1,027 posts, read 635,928 times
Do you think USA is 100 years behind Japan? Shanghai is at least 50 years ahead of NYC in terms of cleanness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post

Old 03-10-2017, 01:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 635,928 times
Since when we rank cities based on their cleanness? if so, NYC, London, Paris would be the most backward cities in the world

Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
Do you think USA is 100 years behind Japan? Shanghai is at least 50 years ahead of NYC in terms of cleanness
You can pretty much ignore whatever is said about Japan from someone who wishes to be Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or