U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:01 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't dispute the numbers, but there is probably a difference between going to HK for just leisure, and arriving at the HK airport for the purpose of leisure. For example two of my friends will fly to Geneva airport next weekend but they will visit south France, not Switzerland whatsoever.
They only include overnight stays in this report. Accomodation is one of the indicators.

Quote:
In the stats, I just don't think the number of people who visit HK (and HK alone) is almost half of those who visit the entire China.
The 26.7 million figure include visitors from China, so the number is inflated. The number without Chinese visitors is about 9 million, still one of the most popular cities in the world, but not too over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 01:12 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,351,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is despite the fact that China requires a visa from citizens of almost every developed country, the people who have the most money and interest to travel, while Japan does not. If China offers a unilateral visa free policy to Europe and North America like Thailand does, the statistics would be significantly higher.

PS: HK's artificially high number is largely due to its status as of the global financial centre. I bet most of the arrivals are not associated with pure leisure tourism.
And on that note... Aren't we always saying that Shanghai has eclipsed and crushed HK as a global finance center?

Seriously though... BJ, SZ, SH, GZ are all global commerce and industry hubs now, and i would expect that significant numbers of the people traveling to China are doing so for business, as well.

I also wonder what the impact of the foreign-dwelling Chinese returning to visit for Spring Festival is on China's tourism numbers.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:51 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
And on that note... Aren't we always saying that Shanghai has eclipsed and crushed HK as a global finance center?

Seriously though... BJ, SZ, SH, GZ are all global commerce and industry hubs now, and i would expect that significant numbers of the people traveling to China are doing so for business, as well.

I also wonder what the impact of the foreign-dwelling Chinese returning to visit for Spring Festival is on China's tourism numbers.
At least I am not in the illusion that Shanghai has replaced HK. Shanghai is rising rapidly and HK is declining. That is true. China still has a highly controlled capital market so it is impossible for Shanghai to serve as a key global financial centre. Trust me, I am not a blind nationalist.

Let's put in this way, the Dubai airport receives more international passengers than any cities in the world. Does that mean Dubai is actually visited by the largest number of people? HK is #3, ahead of Paris. Yeah, more people visited HK than France....

one would have to be very very naive to think that way. I would say such statistics shows ONLY how busy those airports are, and absolutely NOTHING more.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:17 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
They only include overnight stays in this report. Accomodation is one of the indicators.

The 26.7 million figure include visitors from China, so the number is inflated. The number without Chinese visitors is about 9 million, still one of the most popular cities in the world, but not too over the top.
Fair enough. On page 2, it says the number is 8.4 million, compared with 6.1 million for Shanghai and about 4 million for Beijing. That makes a whole lot of common sense.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:51 PM

9,578 posts, read 2,644,001 times
Default Does Japan or South Korea have the most beautiful natural scenery

I did a thread of Japan and China but these two countries seem closer together in terms of size and diversity. Include the benefits of ancient shrines and temples to the scenery, which country has better preserved history?

Old 04-02-2017, 04:55 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,596 times
Well most temples and shrines in Korea are re-built because almost everything was destroyed during the Korean war. Therefore, overall not that much preserved history, unfortunately.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:30 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,161,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well most temples and shrines in Korea are re-built because almost everything was destroyed during the Korean war. Therefore, overall not that much preserved history, unfortunately.
It's the same as Japan lots of earthquakes mean old old structures don't have much a chance to stand for so long. Just because it's rebuilt doesn't mean it's not historical, the significance is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I did a thread of Japan and China but these two countries seem closer together in terms of size and diversity. Include the benefits of ancient shrines and temples to the scenery, which country has better preserved history?
Both are beautiful in their own right. Period

Old 04-02-2017, 05:40 PM

2,324 posts, read 1,460,496 times
Japan hands down

Old 04-03-2017, 06:46 PM

276 posts, read 204,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Japan hands down

For sure...I'm not sure if I'm being biased but Japan with a better developed economy and overall smoother culture seems to preserve their culture ad traditions with well modern society and development.

Is it me or I just love the simplicity of the Zen and clean type of style that Japan displays?

Old 04-03-2017, 10:15 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,118,153 times
Korea's landscape is pretty bland in comparison to Japan...or should I say it's just bland in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or