U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Not even a competition to start with.

Korea hardly has any "natural beauty" to speak of. Its cultural offerings are pretty underwhelming too compared with Japan.

I don't know why we compare these two countries. Just because they are the few developed Asian countries doesn't mean they are comparable in terms of natural beauty. If you compare Japan with Thailand or Malaysia that might make a bit of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:07 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,630,790 times
Well I cannot agree to people saying the Korean landscape is boring or blend, and there is no natural beauty. I mean there are no Grand Canyons or Yellowstones or whatever, but the landscape overall is beautiful.

Jeju island has nice coasts, rocks, waterfalls, vulcanoes, and the mainland has many scenic mountains, coasts, lakes, many small islands etc. as well. And of course the country is rich in culture, good food and experiences.

Some places to name:

Juwangsan national park
Bukhansan mountain
Jirisan national park
Deogyusan national park with possibilities for skiing
Dadohae maritime nationall park with many nice islands
Gagoedo area

The Korean islands are also beautiful. 33 beautiful islands to visit in Korea | CNN Travel

If you count in North Korea, of course one has to mention Paektusan mountain and the Orang area as well.

I just have the feeling that Koreans are really bad at marketing for their nice areas and its really unknown and underrated.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 543,801 times
Japan is better in presenting and preserving than the way China does.

For example, Kyoto/Nara is imitating Xian (Chang'an in Tang era). But present day Kyoto/Nara looks more like Chang'an 1,400 years ago than Xian is.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:39 PM

2,324 posts, read 1,459,925 times
China in yu opinion. Much more diverse in terms of landscape.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:18 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well I cannot agree to people saying the Korean landscape is boring or blend, and there is no natural beauty. I mean there are no Grand Canyons or Yellowstones or whatever, but the landscape overall is beautiful.

Jeju island has nice coasts, rocks, waterfalls, vulcanoes, and the mainland has many scenic mountains, coasts, lakes, many small islands etc. as well. And of course the country is rich in culture, good food and experiences.

Some places to name:

Juwangsan national park
Bukhansan mountain
Jirisan national park
Deogyusan national park with possibilities for skiing
Dadohae maritime nationall park with many nice islands
Gagoedo area

The Korean islands are also beautiful. 33 beautiful islands to visit in Korea | CNN Travel

If you count in North Korea, of course one has to mention Paektusan mountain and the Orang area as well.

I just have the feeling that Koreans are really bad at marketing for their nice areas and its really unknown and underrated.
Every country has some pretty places to be/look at, but when the highest peak is barely 2000m on altitude, it's pretty weak. Obviously not the Netherlands or Belgium kind of bland, but not terribly wonderous either. It'd probably be impressive in Europe, but not in Asia.

Besides you're comparing Korea with Japan, Japan is an archipelago, they have way more islands than Korea does.

Last edited by Greysholic; 04-05-2017 at 03:26 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 05:41 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,630,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Every country has some pretty places to be/look at, but when the highest peak is barely 2000m on altitude, it's pretty weak. Obviously not the Netherlands or Belgium kind of bland, but not terribly wonderous either. It'd probably be impressive in Europe, but not in Asia.

Besides you're comparing Korea with Japan, Japan is an archipelago, they have way more islands than Korea does.
Yeah, I agree that its not the number 1 country in the world for scenery for sure. Probably also far behind Japan. But words like "bland" or "lacking any natural beauty" are just not apropriate in my point of view. The country is scenic and beautiful, but behind its neighbors.

Plus, I am not sure if one can say that countries with mountains less than 2000m are in general weak. Fujiyama is much more prominent of course, even iconic. Paektusan mountain in North Korea is like 2.700m and it is also great, however not really acessible from a touristic point of view, except with guided tours.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:28 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Japan is about 4 times the size of South Korea and is an Archipelago that runs from the frigid North to the subtropical areas of Taiwan. I'm not understanding how the comparison is even a fair one.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:

The landscape overall in Korea is beautiful in the sense that all countries are beautiful?

I have no intention to talk down on Korea as the country is doing great, but beautiful landscape and tourist attractions are really not its strength (like Singapore).

Last edited by botticelli; 04-05-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Japan is about 4 times the size of South Korea and is an Archipelago that runs from the frigid North to the subtropical areas of Taiwan. I'm not understanding how the comparison is even a fair one.
It is not so much about the size in fact.

Switzerland is half of its size and is a beautiful country. Austria too. Korea is just boring.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:35 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Yeah, I agree that its not the number 1 country in the world for scenery for sure. Probably also far behind Japan. But words like "bland" or "lacking any natural beauty" are just not apropriate in my point of view. The country is scenic and beautiful, but behind its neighbors.

Plus, I am not sure if one can say that countries with mountains less than 2000m are in general weak. Fujiyama is much more prominent of course, even iconic. Paektusan mountain in North Korea is like 2.700m and it is also great, however not really acessible from a touristic point of view, except with guided tours.
I'm not saying that Korea is the blandest country in the world, I'm just saying that it's not in the same league as Japan, which is the object of comparison here. It's not just the highest peak, Korea's beaches are pretty normal as well, as are the forests, wildlife etc. It's just not overly special.

And <2000m is indeed pretty weak. Taiwan is 1/3 the size of Korea and we have almost 300 peaks that are over 3000m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or