U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2017, 06:31 PM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
Reputation: 3342

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
And <2000m is indeed pretty weak. Taiwan is 1/3 the size of Korea and we have almost 300 peaks that are over 3000m.
Wow, that's impressive that Taiwan packs so much on that little island. I looked it up and it's true, 286 mountains in Taiwan are over 3,000 meters. For the size, Taiwan has a lot of ecological diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2017, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Reputation: 4555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Wow, that's impressive that Taiwan packs so much on that little island. I looked it up and it's true, 286 mountains in Taiwan are over 3,000 meters. For the size, Taiwan has a lot of ecological diversity.
I guess it's fun if you like hiking. I don't lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2017, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,348 posts, read 543,801 times
Reputation: 1102
Korea's scenery lies on its outlying islands. Jeju is comparable to Hawaii or Bali. Its close little island Udo is also worth a visit. Ulleungdo, a very remote island, has a well-built walkway surrounding the island.

China should be compared with U.S. instead of Japan in term of scenery given the wide variation of weather and landscape in both countries. For example, Yellowstone can be matched with HuangShan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 AM
 
2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is not so much about the size in fact.

Switzerland is half of its size and is a beautiful country. Austria too. Korea is just boring.
I think Switzerland is less interesting then Italy, mostly because Italy is larger and stretches further into different climate zones which make it geographically more interesting to me with Mountains in the north to the Mediterranean islands.

I also prefer South Korea to Switzerland since it has both snow topped mountains and subtropical islands.

Your point is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2017, 07:57 AM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
Reputation: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Korea's scenery lies on its outlying islands. Jeju is comparable to Hawaii or Bali. Its close little island Udo is also worth a visit. Ulleungdo, a very remote island, has a well-built walkway surrounding the island.

China should be compared with U.S. instead of Japan in term of scenery given the wide variation of weather and landscape in both countries. For example, Yellowstone can be matched with HuangShan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I think Switzerland is less interesting then Italy, mostly because Italy is larger and stretches further into different climate zones which make it geographically more interesting to me with Mountains in the north to the Mediterranean islands.

I also prefer South Korea to Switzerland since it has both snow topped mountains and subtropical islands.

Your point is moot.
What part of Korea is subtropical or like Hawaii/Bali? Jeju gets fairly cold during the winter time and it snows there occasionally right? I thought it was more famous for its hot springs. Surely the water temperature is quite cold there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 AM
 
2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
What part of Korea is subtropical or like Hawaii/Bali? Jeju gets fairly cold during the winter time and it snows there occasionally right? I thought it was more famous for its hot springs. Surely the water temperature is quite cold there?
Jeju has a humid subtropical climate according to wiki.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM
 
4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
Reputation: 3342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Jeju has a humid subtropical climate according to wiki.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_City
Thanks. That's an interesting climate. The water temperature changes over 13 degrees centigrade over 4 months. I bet it's packed during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM
 
6,722 posts, read 6,597,578 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Jeju has a humid subtropical climate according to wiki.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_City
It's much colder than Hawaii in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2017, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,348 posts, read 543,801 times
Reputation: 1102
What Jeju, Bali and Hawaii share in common is their myth, not their weather.

Last time when I sailed to Jeju during late spring, the island was wrapped with a layer of fog. It is reminiscent of the legend that the first maritime expedition of first emperor of Qin which claimed to have discovered three small islands off the East Sea where the angels live.

Jeju might probably be what they have encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's much colder than Hawaii in winter.
I didn't say it was wasnt. I just said it is subtropical which is the correct climate.

Imo, anywhere that grows oranges naturally is "tropical".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top