U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 03:22 AM

262 posts, read 154,774 times

Advertisements

Can you get one without paying for flight or get a fully-refundable flight without raising eye browns. I am thinking about applying Chinese visa as US citizen that can qualify for 10 year visa, but I do not want to book a flight before knowing if I get a visa for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,353,429 times
The Chinese consulate doesn't require a flight ticket (unlike the US or European ones).

I have applied for Chinese visa several times and it was always easy. Compare with the US policy, which requires a shi$t load of forms, all sorts of bank statement and employment letters, the Chinese authorities only require a 2 page form and 3 or 4 supporting documents, none of which involves the bank, and everything can be completed within half an hour. And unlike the US visa offices who doesn't allow you to bring even a bag or a cellphone as if you are entering a prison, you can walk into a Chinese visa office like into a mall.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The Chinese consulate doesn't require a flight ticket (unlike the US or European ones).

I have applied for Chinese visa several times and it was always easy. Compare with the US policy, which requires a shi$t load of forms, all sorts of bank statement and employment letters, the Chinese authorities only require a 2 page form and 3 or 4 supporting documents, none of which involves the bank, and everything can be completed within half an hour. And unlike the US visa offices who doesn't allow you to bring even a bag or a cellphone as if you are entering a prison, you can walk into a Chinese visa office like into a mall.
Was it in the US? I heard few years ago all they requires was hotel booking but later started asking for flight bookings.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:19 AM

6,742 posts, read 6,664,296 times
There is no definite answer. If you do things in the normal way, they are much more likely to do things in the normal way too. Otherwise they may ask for something else.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:21 PM

1,151 posts, read 962,715 times
I'm a US citizen and 2 months ago applied for a China tourist visa via the consulate in Houston. For an earlier trip, I dealt directly with the Chinese consulate in Houston in order to get a visa. Didn't have any problem. For my latest trip, I didn't have much lead time to prepare, so I used a local agency as an intermediary, in the hopes of saving time.

The agency thought I had a good chance of getting a 10-year, multiple-entry visa. However, I wound up getting a 6-month visa that allowed 2 entries. That was fine, except that I expect I will want to travel to China again in the next 10 years, so it would have been more convenient to receive the 10-year visa, especially since the cost to me would be the same. The agency admitted they were puzzled that I wasn't granted the 10-year visa. I was going strictly for tourism (and spending money there) and not planning to work or conduct business. Consequently, I wondered if the reason might have to do with uncertainty over the changes in the US government administration.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Oh, and the agency said I only needed to demonstrate that I had a hotel reservation in China, not a return flight reservation.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
Oh, and the agency said I only needed to demonstrate that I had a hotel reservation in China, not a return flight reservation.
I know US government imposed on 10 year US B1/B2 tourist visas to Chinese an ESTA like travel authorization called EVUS that they are required to fill every 2 years. There is no fee for that though.

Did you apply as a US citizen? Did you choose "other" and put the 10 year visa in the application when you were applying?

Old 02-19-2017, 12:29 PM

I did apply as a US citizen.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your 2nd question with certainty, since I don't have a copy of the finalized application as submitted by the agency to the consulate. However, I remember that the agency rep told me that the consulate would make the decision as to the type of visa to be granted. When I picked up my passport with visa included, a different agency rep told me he was surprised they didn't grant a 10-year visa and didn't know why.

Next time I apply, I'll be careful to specifically request that kind of visa. Which, for now, I suppose means checking the "Other" box in the field for "Intended number of entries", which I think you're referring to.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I did apply as a US citizen.

Next time I apply, I'll be careful to specifically request that kind of visa. Which, for now, I suppose means checking the "Other" box in the field for "Intended number of entries", which I think you're referring to.
Yes, I was referring to that since China has not yet updated its application for visa since they started granting 10-year visas.

Old 02-19-2017, 03:41 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,684,751 times
Do the agency ask for hotel or flight booking?. I want to have Chinese visa prior to booking my flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or