U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,633,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
My guide recounted how, as a child, he and his family gathered around the empty rice storage container crying from hunger. He replied that the positives to QOL brought by rapid development from capitalism outweighed the negative effects on traditional culture. Once they have achieved a certain level of basic QOL (food, shelter, infrastructure, etc) he stated, they will focus more on trying to retain the cultural aspects.
So, I guess from his perspective, it was a trade-off he was willing to take.

But will economic 'progress' be something that can be controlled, or will it become a runaway train that runs over everything that impedes its continuing growth, including traditional culture?
Interesting stories.

Same for Korea. My gf still knows the stories of her parents and grandparents, when Korea basically had nothing to eat, North Korea was richer than South Korea, and overall the country was one of the poorest countries in the whole world, poorer than Philppines etc and people literally had to eat dirt to survive.

Still older people have malformation due to malnutrition, then they were sent to other countries as coal miners or workers to get foreign money and to prepare the development of their homecountry. What happened then was the miracle of the han river. And now those older people findthemselves in one of the most modern and rich high-tech countries in the world and sometimes do not understand what is happening around them. Does anyone wants to go back to poverty? Certainly not, but every development process comes at a price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 AM

1,151 posts, read 951,420 times
South Korea is a place that has changed amazingly ... but also, perhaps, has lost some of the things that emigrants miss.

In the period between WWI and the Korean war, my dad served as a US Army medic there. His duties included giving medical exams to Korean men applying for jobs. Apparently, most of the local people then had intestinal parasites (spread by the use of human waste to fertilize crops) and syphilis was also very common.

Visiting Korea in 90s, it didn't seem like the place that my dad described. Every place I saw was very nice, new and orderly; the streets full of brand-new cars built in Korea. People looking healthy, well-dressed, and good-looking. The image of prosperity. The only thing that I found similar to my dad's experience was that it was the coldest urban place I'd been in winter.

Also in the 90s, I had an older Korean friend at work. He wished that in retirement he could re-experience the Korea of his childhood, but that it didn't exist anymore, at least in South Korea. He said it might still exist in the North, however. He's an eccentric guy (which is one of his endearing qualities), but not so much that he went to live there. He stayed in the US. :-)

Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 4,116 times
My parents are both from Taiwan; when I was younger, I used to frequent their night markets. That is what I miss the most.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:45 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuproductions View Post
My parents are both from Taiwan; when I was younger, I used to frequent their night markets. That is what I miss the most.
Well that's certainly something I would not miss at all.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 4,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well that's certainly something I would not miss at all.
Why is that?
I haven't been to one since I've been back last (nearly a decade ago). I had pretty fond memories of it at the time, but maybe times have changed?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:32 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I just got back from a week in Yunnan and it is very beautiful there, clean air, and good weather. But we will be moving to my wife's hometown which is in Henan. Pretty bad pollution there and it's one of the poorer regions of China. The weather is not very good, but very similar to Kansas which is where I am from. We own a restaurant and I used to have a landscaping company here (Kansas), we will be opening a business in her town, some sort of Western themed coffee shop, restaurant, or maybe a bar aimed at locals, as there are almost no foreigners there. I don't know the tier system, but I imagine it's at the bottom... I've also been to Shanghai, Beijing, Hainan, and a little bit around Jiangsu. But most of the time I've been in Henan.
I lived in Lawrence, KS too. Americans think it's in the middle of no where but I think life there is quite nice.
Henan is also in central China but is densely populated.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,641,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I lived in Lawrence, KS too. Americans think it's in the middle of no where but I think life there is quite nice.
Henan is also in central China but is densely populated.
Yes, quality of life here is pretty good, but it also gets bashed a lot by Americans. I live very close to Lawrence. Haha, yes Henan is very populated, but it reminds me of Kansas in some ways. Similar climate and the food is actually more similar then a lot of people would ever think. Lots of bread, heavy meat dishes, potatoes, etc.
馒头 (man tou, steamed bread) is awesome and I much prefer it to rice or noodles.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuproductions View Post
Why is that?
I haven't been to one since I've been back last (nearly a decade ago). I had pretty fond memories of it at the time, but maybe times have changed?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
They are too crowded.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM

660 posts, read 584,354 times
Family Mart in China has good baozi....Don't underestimate the baozi at FamilyMart. haha.

Seems like many of the things I liked 15 or more years ago in China are changing. I use to love the street food, but in big cities many of them are being removed now, or you can't trust the cleanliness of the vendors. I wonder if it was always like that or when I was in my 20's living in China I just didn't realize it or care.

Because food costs have increased so much over the years in China, lots of food vendors cheat and put really bad ingredients in the food, or re-use oil and other things to save on costs. Really kills something that I use to really like about China.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:06 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
I mostly miss the wide varieties of breakfast in China.

In Canada, I actually had milk and cereal for 8 years. In France for the past 7 months, I almost have croissant or pain au chocholat every single day. Yes, I know there are more choices, eggs, sausage, etc, (pancakes are disgusting) but none of those interest me. I am general flexible with food and don't have to eat Chinese every day, but I am sick of western breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia