U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,630,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Mmmmm....as for Korea, around Pusan National University and outside of CBD and trains, it was not very clean, dirty in some areas -way more than Paris yes yes-. I m not talking about Hong Kong or Manilla. And korean have a very bad habit to spit, it's quite disturbing...
Japan is incredible, definitely an amazing country when it comes to cleanliness !

Food in korea...too much spicy for me, outside of bibimpap (don't remember the name haha), korean bbq and outdark chicken and beer, I didn't find something funny or exellent to eat. Korean don't have the food culture, not like Japan or Europe.
Too much rules is just boring at the end. I climbed Jirisan peak and Halasan peak and damn...in a national park they build these path with wood and instead of being in the nature you climb a giant wooden stairs, very boring
I was disappointed and felt trap while I love to walk freely in Alps without anyone around.

For safety, no discussion possible, they are far ahead without a doubt.
From my experience it is rather Chinese that are spitting frequently, Korean rather less. But of course everywhere there are people who behave strange.

Well, Korean food is quite different. There is a huge food culture, but is just not for everyone as it is spicy and offers many tastes unknown to Western mouths. Other than BBQ, chicken and Bibimbap I also love Bulgogi, Galbi, Octopus dishes, Kimbap (kind of sushi roll but with meat or other ingredients inside), Deobbokki or Korean desserts. Also the many sides and choices of a traditional breakfast including interesting vegetables that one would rather not found in Europe.

Regarding wilderness, it is true. The country is just too densely populated and does not offer the huge national parks like the USA. And, to protect wilderness comparable to the US National Park Service, its not that you can just walk around where you want to. They tend to prepare as much as possible, as Korean usually live in huge cities and are not familiar with nature. Sounds strange, but most never even planted a tree in their life.

And for me, safety and public order and behaviour ist an important part of the experience. I do not want to take care of all belongings at all times when I am home or also in a foreign city.

I also like the fact that it is very unlikely that you get cheated by vendors, cab drivers, tourist scam, any other business, because people are very honest. It is not like China where they try to cheat on tourists everytime and you have to negotiate about everything, because people are very selfish and try to benefit from the fact that you are a foreigner and not familiar with prices, language or local offers. they won't expect any tip and still deliver great and friendly service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:54 AM

1,788 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
From my experience it is rather Chinese that are spitting frequently, Korean rather less. But of course everywhere there are people who behave strange.

Well, Korean food is quite different. There is a huge food culture, but is just not for everyone as it is spicy and offers many tastes unknown to Western mouths. Other than BBQ, chicken and Bibimbap I also love Bulgogi, Galbi, Octopus dishes, Kimbap (kind of sushi roll but with meat or other ingredients inside), Deobbokki or Korean desserts. Also the many sides and choices of a traditional breakfast including interesting vegetables that one would rather not found in Europe.

Regarding wilderness, it is true. The country is just too densely populated and does not offer the huge national parks like the USA. And, to protect wilderness comparable to the US National Park Service, its not that you can just walk around where you want to. They tend to prepare as much as possible, as Korean usually live in huge cities and are not familiar with nature. Sounds strange, but most never even planted a tree in their life.

And for me, safety and public order and behaviour ist an important part of the experience. I do not want to take care of all belongings at all times when I am home or also in a foreign city.

I also like the fact that it is very unlikely that you get cheated by vendors, cab drivers, tourist scam, any other business, because people are very honest. It is not like China where they try to cheat on tourists everytime and you have to negotiate about everything, because people are very selfish and try to benefit from the fact that you are a foreigner and not familiar with prices, language or local offers. they won't expect any tip and still deliver great and friendly service.
My friends and me got trapped by a cab. He went to Ulsan National University instead of Pusan National University. Dude tried to trap us because we were exhausted and dizzy after a long night. But we showed our student PNU card so no mistakes possible for a korean....we had to pay A LOT.
In Europe and Usa you have to be carefull yes, but it's fine if you are not very naive. I went to a lot of places, like Napoli, and nothing happened. I got trapped in Manila but a cab for an airport transfer...

So because of that i m carefull haha.

In Japan, the level is just incredibly high...Japan is REALLY safe, thats impressive, even weird!^^

Old 05-16-2017, 07:53 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Interesting. That is exactly what I love about Asia. Even though there is not necessairly a written rule, Japanese and Korean people just behave properly and do not litter everywhere, bother and harass other people, and have no intention to be criminal at all. I also love the food.
Being rich and completely homogeneous is the key for their safety. Also in Asia, violence is considered uncouth, and street begging or even receiving social welfare is considered humiliating.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Being rich and completely homogeneous is the key for their safety. Also in Asia, violence is considered uncouth, and street begging or even receiving social welfare is considered humiliating.
Homogeneous, because they aren't richer than West Europe at all...
It's very cultural, they have a collective vision of the society, while in Europe it's the individual first...
But I stopped idealize these countries after my student exchange there. For safety, it's not a debate, but they have many other problems and the way of life there is just no for me, even for me in Paris were it's busy too...

It's just a personal experience, for travel, i would come back there tomorrow if i could . Living there is not a touristic trip, it's totally different ofc...

Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
It's very cultural, they have a collective vision of the society, while in Europe it's the individual first...
But I stopped idealize these countries after my student exchange there. For safety, it's not a debate, but they have many other problems and the way of life there is just no for me, even for me in Paris were it's busy too...

It's just a personal experience, for travel, i would come back there tomorrow if i could . Living there is not a touristic trip, it's totally different ofc...
of course no reason to idealize. The entire East Asia has a workaholic culture with pretty bad quality of life, and their cities are all pretty ugly, can't even start to compare with europe.

I am not saying they are richer than west Europe. Only that being rich AND homogeneous contribute to the high level of safety. Being homogeneous alone is not enough because poverty always gives rises to crime.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:43 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Homogeneous and/or diversity has nothing to do with safety and crime. It's all about culture. Otherwise why is Singapore, possibly the most diverse place on the planet also the safest city on the planet. There are also many very homogeneous places like Russia, Eastern Europe, African countries, and select Latin countries that are very dangerous.

Also more people have died from violent wars in Asia then anywhere else on the planet, maybe all the other continents combined.

Last, most Asian countries have strong social welfare programs, they simply aren't as wealthy countries, so they can't give out as much benefits. Many of the developed Asian countries have cracked down on begging and have made it a crime, that's the main reason it's not as common now.

Asian countries benefit, imo, is their cultures, which are not all equal. They do despise asking for handouts, violence, begging, etc, but I've seen it first hand a lot more then I've seen it in the US.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:44 AM

1,800 posts, read 803,616 times
Quote:

Collectivism/Individualism division is overstated. People are the same, it's human nature to take care of oneself before everybody else. But living in a highly organized civilization requires compromise.

Apart from superficial differences, Asian culture isn't fundamentally different from Western culture. A typical affluent middle-class American neighborhood is just as safe as Japan.

We all know why Paris became the Detroit in Europe.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:50 AM

1,800 posts, read 803,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Homogeneous and/or diversity has nothing to do with safety and crime. It's all about culture. Otherwise why is Singapore, possibly the most diverse place on the planet also the safest city on the planet. There are also many very homogeneous places like Russia, Eastern Europe, African countries, and select Latin countries that are very dangerous.

Also more people have died from violent wars in Asia then anywhere else on the planet, maybe all the other continents combined.

Last, most Asian countries have strong social welfare programs, they simply aren't as wealthy countries, so they can't give out as much benefits. Many of the developed Asian countries have cracked down on begging and have made it a crime, that's the main reason it's not as common now.

Asian countries benefit, imo, is their cultures, which are not all equal. They do despise asking for handouts, violence, begging, etc, but I've seen it first hand a lot more then I've seen it in the US.
So what's the cultural difference between Oakland, CA and Mountain View, CA? And how does the cultural difference contribute to safety and crime in this scenario?

Old 05-16-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Collectivism/Individualism division is overstated. People are the same, it's human nature to take care of oneself before everybody else. But living in a highly organized civilization requires compromise.

Apart from superficial differences, Asian culture isn't fundamentally different from Western culture. A typical affluent middle-class American neighborhood is just as safe as Japan.

We all know why Paris became the Detroit in Europe.
I ll not start a stat war against trolls. In 1994, 256 ppl were killed in Paris, 90 in 2013.
From 2012 to 2015, homicide rate is 2.77/100 000.
Wait, isn't it 43.6/100 000 in Detroit, like, 15,5 times higher than Paris?

"A typical affluent middle-class American neighborhood".
Homicide rate in terrible suburbs of Paris in 2015:
Seine Saint Denis (the "hell hole ghetto" ) : 1.98
Val de Marne : 1.75
Hauts de Seine: 1.18
Essonne : 1.12
Yvelines : 0.76

some ref: South Korea = 0.7, USA = 3.9.

In fact the place with the highest homicide rate by far is Corsica with a rate higher than 6.

I'll stop because it's off topic.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Homogeneous and/or diversity has nothing to do with safety and crime. It's all about culture. Otherwise why is Singapore, possibly the most diverse place on the planet also the safest city on the planet.
Singapore is 75% Chinese, with 22% Malays and Indians. Since when it is "the most diverse place on the planet"? There are a negligible population that are not East Asian or South Asian. There are so many cities that are more diverse than Singapore.

Quote:
There are also many very homogeneous places like Russia, Eastern Europe, African countries, and select Latin countries that are very dangerous.
Why can't you read my post before refuting. WHich of these homogenous countries you described are rich? Where did I say homogeneity itself is sufficient. I said being rich AND homogenous, didn't I?

Quote:

maybe because the place called "Asia" has more people than all the other continents combined? Most, if not all the most ancient countries are in Asia, with longer history, of course there were more wars?

Plus we are talking about crimes here. How does that have anything to do with wars? These are two completely different things.

You really should think a bit more before rushing to disgree with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia