Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times

Advertisements

Good List...........Another one is Hotels. I think the hotels, esp high end hotels are MUCH nicer in Asia compared to the U.S. Also the selections are much better in Asia. You can get a great 5 star hotel in HK, BJ, Shanghai for 200 to 300 USD. Hotels in the U.S. you basically have two choices, 150 bucks for a bare Marriott or Hilton with its no frills amenities, or a 400 to 500 USD a night Ritz or 4 Seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:16 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Sadly, for me, it's not so much what I miss, but the way it is developing, I think in my home country (Vietnam), Ho Chi Minh City is just becoming an increasingly a concrete jungle with even MORE apartments growing up.

It's funny, I'm proud it's developing since my first visit in 1995 - pretty much a underdeveloped shack at that stage. At the same time, a lot of the cultural aspects is gone, weird as it sounds I don't so much mind the jostling, pushing and whole thousands of motorbikes on the road in relentless heat.

The more developed and cleaned up a city becomes, the more boring, rep taped city it becomes, hence, just like any rubber stamped city.
I was in Vietnam this past November and I loved it.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
My mother is 1.78 and my father is 1.84, i'm 1.90 and not even had 20 liters of milk in my entire life.
That's not really relevant. Its the ancestral relationship to it over the past 200 yrs or so. What did they do?

Old 05-13-2017, 12:11 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
After 6 months in S.Korea, the ultra tight safety (I mean, you can forget your phone in the street and 1 day after coming back and nothing moved) and sometimes clean trains (like compare to the -horrible- RER in Paris). Else I miss nothing at all...specially the food (except japanese sushis haha), design of cities , ultra busy streets, rules absolutely everywhere (I mean too much)...
I could never live in Asia, impossible...at least not in SK or Japan. After visiting Hong kong too, that's one of the biggest no-no ever. So China probably never ^^

Old 05-14-2017, 07:58 PM

1,002 posts, read 905,851 times
Vietnam is a place that reminds me a lot,this country is rich but still lacks many things, which is very different from my country especially the place tourism.I missed vietnam especially nature and the people there .

Old 05-15-2017, 12:51 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
"Ho Chi Minh City is just becoming an increasingly a concrete jungle with even MORE apartments growing up."

If you go visit the central part of Vietnam, like the ancient capital Hue and the city Hoi An a little bit south, much of the cultural heritage has been preserved.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:58 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
"Else I miss nothing at all...specially the food (except japanese sushis haha), design of cities , ultra busy streets,"

Actually Seoul is more or less like an American city. The entire city was almost leveled during the Korean War (the city had been changed hand three times). So after the armistice, the city was rebuilt from scratch. So there is 10-lane wide boulevard in Seoul which is common in American metropolis, but was non-existent in other Asian city, nor existed in pre-1950 Seoul.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
"Else I miss nothing at all...specially the food (except japanese sushis haha), design of cities , ultra busy streets,"

Actually Seoul is more or less like an American city. The entire city was almost leveled during the Korean War (the city had been changed hand three times). So after the armistice, the city was rebuilt from scratch. So there is 10-lane wide boulevard in Seoul which is common in American metropolis, but was non-existent in other Asian city, nor existed in pre-1950 Seoul.
I saw Seoul, Busan, Jeju, Fukuoka, Tokyo, Manilla and Hong-Kong... And I maintain what I'm saying

Old 05-16-2017, 02:40 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
After 6 months in S.Korea, the ultra tight safety (I mean, you can forget your phone in the street and 1 day after coming back and nothing moved) and sometimes clean trains (like compare to the -horrible- RER in Paris). Else I miss nothing at all...specially the food (except japanese sushis haha), design of cities , ultra busy streets, rules absolutely everywhere (I mean too much)...
I could never live in Asia, impossible...at least not in SK or Japan. After visiting Hong kong too, that's one of the biggest no-no ever. So China probably never ^^
Interesting. That is exactly what I love about Asia. Even though there is not necessairly a written rule, Japanese and Korean people just behave properly and do not litter everywhere, bother and harass other people, and have no intention to be criminal at all. I also love the food.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Interesting. That is exactly what I love about Asia. Even though there is not necessairly a written rule, Japanese and Korean people just behave properly and do not litter everywhere, bother and harass other people, and have no intention to be criminal at all. I also love the food.
Mmmmm....as for Korea, around Pusan National University and outside of CBD and trains, it was not very clean, dirty in some areas -way more than Paris yes yes-. I m not talking about Hong Kong or Manilla. And korean have a very bad habit to spit, it's quite disturbing...
Japan is incredible, definitely an amazing country when it comes to cleanliness !

Food in korea...too much spicy for me, outside of bibimpap (don't remember the name haha), korean bbq and outdark chicken and beer, I didn't find something funny or exellent to eat. Korean don't have the food culture, not like Japan or Europe.
Too much rules is just boring at the end. I climbed Jirisan peak and Halasan peak and damn...in a national park they build these path with wood and instead of being in the nature you climb a giant wooden stairs, very boring
I was disappointed and felt trap while I love to walk freely in Alps without anyone around.

For safety, no discussion possible, they are far ahead without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia