U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 AM

25 posts, read 43,438 times

Advertisements

I read many facts about China's air pollution problems but also many expats stay there long term (because they like living there).
Is the air really bad that requires you to wear masks when outside?? Does wearing masks help?
How bad is it in Shanghai and Chengdu compare to other cities in China?
Is it worth living there for the benefit of living in a big expat metro city even with their air problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 03:39 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,611,101 times
Chengdu is pretty bad in winter, better in summer.
Shanghai is better than Chengdu.

Most people don't wear masks. In fact before the 2010s nobody had considered it a big deal although it had been as bad as now.
It more or less depends on what you are used to and how you perceive it. I studied in Beijing and never used a mask.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:47 PM

6,776 posts, read 5,126,284 times
Wearing normal masks helps for larger pollutants such as dust or sand, but they are useless for microscope ones.

I heard that N95 could filter more pollutants. You can try that out.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:36 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Wearing normal masks helps for larger pollutants such as dust or sand, but they are useless for microscope ones.

I heard that N95 could filter more pollutants. You can try that out.
Highly recommend people buy masks from 3M, they're one of the view that are certified by the US government

Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM

18,558 posts, read 9,592,797 times
I worked in Shanghai around 2005-2006 and it didn't seem that bad. I've heard Chengdu s much worse and Beijing is also worse than Shanghai. I think if you're going to live in China, Shanghai is a good choice.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Chengdu's location in a basin prevents poluted air to be dissipated. Plus, it is a city of more than 10 million people with the highest car ownership in China.

Between Shanghai and Chengdu, air pollution shouldn't be a big concern because neither is far better than the other. I like Chengdu very much. Shanghai, not so much.

If as an expat you only expect in a large Chinese city for a few years, I think it will be fine and no need to be overly concern about it. If you want to live there for long (10 years+), then maybe you should consider air quality a bit more.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:26 PM

55 posts, read 33,028 times
Yes many expats live in China, not really an ideal place from the traditional western point of view though.

A few days ago I talked to a Guangdong Chinese girl, she said she doesn't care about air pollution as her hometown in Guangdong, somewhere near the coast, does not suffer much from air pollution. And she have no interest in moving to Beijing, Shanghai or Chengdu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencrew View Post
I read many facts about China's air pollution problems but also many expats stay there long term (because they like living there).
Is the air really bad that requires you to wear masks when outside?? Does wearing masks help?
How bad is it in Shanghai and Chengdu compare to other cities in China?
Is it worth living there for the benefit of living in a big expat metro city even with their air problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or