U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:37 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,637,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well tap water in places like the Netherlands, Austria, Sweden etc. tastes exactly the same as bottled water. I thought Japan would be like that, I guess it was just that specific hotel, or there's some regional inconsistencies.
I don't think we can detect contaminants based on taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:18 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I don't think we can detect contaminants based on taste.
Contamination is just the basics, I need it to not taste weird to drink it.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:03 AM

451 posts, read 1,079,587 times
I honestly cannot think of a country where I would drink their tap water without boiling it or filtering it. I live in the US and don't drink water from the tap directly.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well tap water in places like the Netherlands, Austria, Sweden etc. tastes exactly the same as bottled water. I thought Japan would be like that, I guess it was just that specific hotel, or there's some regional inconsistencies.
You think so? I was in Spain, Germany, and the UK and the water tasted like chlorine. It's nasty. And Japan is the same. I've been told in Japan not to drink the tap water, get bottled

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 03-08-2017 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times
There is always some risk drinking water anywhere, even bottled water or filtered water. My question was which countries for the most part are safe to drink from, not which water tastes weird. Even filtered water will taste different from different places, but that doesn't mean it's contaminated.

I found a list online that says South Korea, Japan, Singapore, and Hong Kong are the only countries with safe drinking water. Other countries with drinkable water are Australia, New Zealand, Israel, and Brunei in Asia. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some cities and provinces with treated water, like a previous poster said about the Philippines.

Here in the US about 90% of tap water is drinkable, but there are some rural areas, especially in the southwest, that do not meet EPA standards. Here in Kansas we get a report (mailed to us) on our water quality annually, I assume they do that everywhere.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 781,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You think so? I was in Spain, Germany, and the UK and the water tasted like chlorine. It's nasty. And Japan is the same. I've been told in Japan not to drink the tap water, get bottled
I live in Germany for 44 years now. I have never encounter chlorinated tap water in Germany. As far as I know drinking water in Germany is never chlorinated until there is an unusual germ load caused by an accident or something like that.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
tap water in the Philippines is drinkable if its from the MWSS (a govt agency). compared with tap water in California, the tap water in the Philippines is just like spring water, like they have in Hawaii. don't know but tap water in California is just like coming from a deep well, untreated.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
tap water in the Philippines is drinkable if its from the MWSS (a govt agency). compared with tap water in California, the tap water in the Philippines is just like spring water, like they have in Hawaii. don't know but tap water in California is just like coming from a deep well, untreated.
Most of California's tap water comes from rivers, like the Colorado river and it is treated. California has some of the highest standards for water quality in the world.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:58 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Most of California's tap water comes from rivers, like the Colorado river and it is treated. California has some of the highest standards for water quality in the world.
am not questioning its quality, am questioning its taste. tastes like water being pumped from rusty deepwell. and the minerals present..hard, you need softener

Old 03-08-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
am not questioning its quality, am questioning its taste. tastes like water being pumped from rusty deepwell. and the minerals present..hard, you need softener
That's most likely a plumbing problem from specific buildings. Rusty tasting water typically comes from old water pipes. Minerals are often added to the water in treatment plants, like calcium, which can be removed with a softener, but that doesn't effect the taste or quality. Just adds build up in pipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia