U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:55 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Obviously, due to greed, profit and hidden agendas, the our tap water are far much worse now than it was before.

Segregation was between the late 1800's to 1950. America didn't decide to poison our tap water supply until 1954 with the introduction of Sodium Fluoride.

Not to mentions our tap contains runoff from fertilizer and pesticides, plus many other contaminants. But yeah, enjoy your tap. I'll drink my filtered water.
I think you are going a little too far. I originally wasn't going to reply because it's off topic. But I suppose I'll reply one time. There are polluted water sources in the US and that is exactly why water treatment plants exist. Do they get 100% of contaminants, of course not, and I don't agree with all the chemicals/minerals they add to the water either. But the vast majority of tap water in the US is safe to drink. Meaning there is low risk of getting sick from it. Most countries around the world don't treat water at all, and I promise their water sources aren't cleaner then ours.

I would never argue that the US has the best tap water in the world, but the list of cleanest tap water countries in the world was a little silly, they ranked Italy high because of the amount of public fountains for example. Most European countries also add sodium fluoride to their drinking water. I was surprised to read China has started adding sodium fluoride to their water as well, so you are actually wrong that they don't.

Both the World Health Organization and the World Dental Association support adding sodium fluoride to drinking water. The CDC even lists it as one of the top 10 public health achievements of the 20th century.

Last, most of your state, California, doesn't actually add fluoride, because it's naturally in the water.

Tap water is not worse then it was in the past, especially in the cities where there have been pollution problems for the last 100 years. All types of pollution are on the decline and have been for 50 years. I think people often forget how bad pollution was in cities and farms in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 02:23 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,634,457 times
Do we need fluoride in water since all toothpaste has it nowadays?

Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM

6,577 posts, read 3,632,918 times
The fear is so great that Coke and Pepsi are able to sell tap water put through their filters for a higher price than gasoline. And that is with a practically free alternative available. The bottlers will say anything to keep that market

Old 03-11-2017, 10:02 PM

600 posts, read 360,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The fear is so great that Coke and Pepsi are able to sell tap water put through their filters for a higher price than gasoline. And that is with a practically free alternative available. The bottlers will say anything to keep that market
The bottlers don't say anything other than "pure or filtered water". That's all they say.

People do their own research and make their own decisions. And the sales prove that people don't want any of the crap that they put in tap water.

If they can provide pure clean water out of the tap like they should, that would be awesome.

But then, the cleaning industries would lose billions of dollars. Imagine washing a car w/o having to dry it because there will be no spots. Same with your bathroom. No calcium or hard water stains.

Taking a shower and your skin and hair is softer. That would be bad for the cosmetic / lotion industries.

Heck, no need to treat tap water for aquariums.

The water filter industries would go bankrupt.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:06 PM

1,019 posts, read 895,825 times
As a road warrior, I never rely on tap water every where I go except for the Netherlands, but if only there is a convenience store nearby, I would still rather buy bottled water.

Tap water here in Phoenix tastes salty but safe to drink, I still buy bottled water though. Not for me but for my small kids.

When I was living in the Philippines (province in the south Manila, we drink water directly from the supply since our house then does not have a water supply system. Though there is a faucet in every other corner where people queue with their empty containers. It is free. As a kid, I do not recall having bad stomach by drinking water from the faucet.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 AM

102 posts, read 48,375 times
Many people in Mainland China buy distilled water instead of drinking tap water.

Hong Kong people usually drink boiled or filtered tap water.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:22 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,163,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
The US didn't even make the Top 19 list of countries with the cleanest water.
https://www.triphobo.com/blog/countr...t-of-tap-water

I live in CA, and everyone I know has a Reverse Osmosis System. Bottle water are also the Top selling drinks in America. How can that be if our Tap water are considered "the best in the world". lol

In the US, our water are contaminated with Sodium Fluoride (a poison) which they buy in bulk from China where these toxic waste are taken away from Aluminum Manufacturing plant and sold to America.

China doesn't even pollute their own water with this stuff. Not sure why we're paying China to poison our own water supply with it. Unless it done on purpose to ruin our health and teeth.

The actual substance that is good for our teeth are the Naturally occurring Calcium Fluoride.

And our water just doesn't have fluoride. It also contains, aluminum, chloride, arsenic, nitrate, lead, etc etc.

Your misunderstanding of the science is astounding. Not surprising given your reliance on a travel blog as some seat of authority.
Read an actual hydrology & hygiene journal. And understand the difference better fluoride ions and the final product which is the salt, calcium fluoride. Calcium fluoride is an insoluble salt. It would be entirely useless to put it in drinking water. Sodium fluoride dissolves instantly in water leaving Na+ ions and Fl- ions. Na+ ions are already your body's main extracellular cation. The Fl- ions must be free in order to interact with Calcium and phosphate ions to remineralize teeth.

And yes the water piped to houses contains chloride - because it kills cholera, dysentery and typhoid among other things. Treatment of drinking water to kill microbes was one of the greatest advances in human public health. Western countries discovered this over 100 yrs ago.

Every halfwit conspiracy theorist fancies their own science knowledge nowadays. The masses prefer the latest control theory - fluoride in the water, poison in the vaccines, chemicals in the contrails.

Reverse osmosis systems are not very efficient - they produce huge waste streams for what they provide. They have become a problem in cities where the water facilities are poor and people in hi-income houses use them at the disadvantage of the non-users (like New Delhi). They also demineralize the water - when animals, including humans, naturally get part of their mineral content from their drinking water.
here's an actual study from the world heath organization, not some blog's top ten guesses:
http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_...entschap12.pdf

Old 08-02-2017, 02:16 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Older people in China never drink cold water. They will boil it, and if it becomes cold they will boil again.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:15 AM

102 posts, read 48,375 times
Most asians in Asia do not have the habit of drinking water straight from taps.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:30 PM

276 posts, read 204,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
Most asians in Asia do not have the habit of drinking water straight from taps.
For good reason! It can be toxic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia