U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 03:27 PM

32,112 posts, read 33,023,250 times

Advertisements

I believe the tap water in Israel is drinkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,527,125 times
I do not drink water from Tap even in USA. It should be avoided. Cheap options of Bottled water are available- I use them.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,279,425 times

https://www.mappingmegan.com/travele...-the-water-in/

Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 PM

501 posts, read 462,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
I do not drink water from Tap even in USA. It should be avoided. Cheap options of Bottled water are available- I use them.
Translation: I like spending money on something that is no healthier or safer than the nearly free option. (not to mention the unnecessary plastic bottle and where it ends up) :-/

There are numerous scientific studies that show tap water to perfectly safe in the US (and other countries, of course) and that most bottled water is no healthier or safer (and in some cases even less safe).

Old 12-15-2017, 11:53 PM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
In my experience, tapwater is OK to drink in virtually every country in the world, at least in relatively urbanized areas. I've gotten mildly upset tummy a few times, probably from food, and was medicated in Bangladesh for dysentery. Giardia at least once in South America.

Most older Asian cities, people living there don't drink tapwater because of heavy metals, largely from ancient lead plumbing. But that is not an issue for visitors. Tapwater is slightly saline in the horn of Africa, but I drank it without incident in Ethiopia and Somaliland.

If in in a city or town where there are taps, I drink it, unless it is in an obviously flood-prone area and there is a lot of standing water, places like Colombia's Magdalena valley.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:40 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In my experience, tapwater is OK to drink in virtually every country in the world, at least in relatively urbanized areas. I've gotten mildly upset tummy a few times, probably from food, and was medicated in Bangladesh for dysentery. Giardia at least once in South America.

Most older Asian cities, people living there don't drink tapwater because of heavy metals, largely from ancient lead plumbing. But that is not an issue for visitors. Tapwater is slightly saline in the horn of Africa, but I drank it without incident in Ethiopia and Somaliland.

If in in a city or town where there are taps, I drink it, unless it is in an obviously flood-prone area and there is a lot of standing water, places like Colombia's Magdalena valley.
Thats terrible advice. The majority of countries in the world, even urban centers, do not treat tap water and one could get seriously ill from drinking it. Most local people do not drink straight from the tap. Most people boil the water for tea or cooking and drink bottled water. Some countries like the Philippines and China are starting to build water treatment centers, but most water is still dangerous to drink from the tap.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:20 AM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
I did not offer advice ^^^^. I shared my experience.

"Most local people" in the USA do not drink straight from the tap, either. In no way does that imply that it is not safe to drink it.

As I pointed out, people have many reasons for not drinking from the tap. Risk of transmission of communicable diseases is not a significant threat in most population centers in the world that have installed tap water systems.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:19 AM

317 posts, read 238,266 times
Kuwait and UAE have drinkable tap water (mainly processed from desalination plants). But I mainly buy bottled water.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:29 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,553,966 times
Russia doesn't have drinkable tap water? That surprises me.

As for the graphic above, it's illustrated more on perception rather than reality.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:46 AM

2,517 posts, read 2,279,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Russia doesn't have drinkable tap water? That surprises me.

As for the graphic above, it's illustrated more on perception rather than reality.
It's actually based on data collected by the CDC. They only noted countries that are 100% safe. Any questionable countries i.e. Russia or Mexico were not given a 100% safe rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia