U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 12:01 PM

1,356 posts, read 546,239 times

Advertisements

The litmus test for drinking water is to try taste their Tofu.

If the water quality is good, the Tofu made locally will be of excellent quality. The Tofu made in Japan and Hawaii are both exceptionally good.

Most of the water in Hawaii comes from the underground aquifers which are supposedly very clean and pure. But many people still buy bottled water. However, it was revealed that many bottled water companies get their water from the tap. So why waste the money?

I really hesitate drinking tap water in India as a fellow poster recommended. Many articles have been written about the water supply in New Delhi being contaminated by the sewage system. I know a friend who just used the tap water for tooth brushing and she got diarrhea for many days afterwards.

But actually many areas of Hawaii are not served by the water system, neither are they served by the sewage system. So that is why there is the outbreak of Rat Lung Worm disease. On this aspect, it is as backward as the developing countries.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 12-19-2017 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,547,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It's actually based on data collected by the CDC. They only noted countries that are 100% safe. Any questionable countries i.e. Russia or Mexico were not given a 100% safe rating.
Hinkley, California and west Michigan should take the US out of the graphic then, if in fact a country must have 100% safe water.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:40 PM

2,507 posts, read 2,269,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Hinkley, California and west Michigan should take the US out of the graphic then, if in fact a country must have 100% safe water.
Well then you drink tap water from wherever Russia or Mexico. I'll get bottled water as recommended. I know plenty of people who have drank from tap in Mexico and were just fine but also know plenty of folks who got sick. I need to be able to enjoy my trip without risking it.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:27 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,547,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Well then you drink tap water from wherever Russia or Mexico. I'll get bottled water as recommended. I know plenty of people who have drank from tap in Mexico and were just fine but also know plenty of folks who got sick. I need to be able to enjoy my trip without risking it.
It's not all about Mexico or Russia, there are countries with better water than the US which aren't represented in the graphic such as:

Latvia, Colombia and Costa Rica. In fact my skin & hair have never been healthier since I was in Bogota thanks to the pure water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
The US didn't even make the Top 19 list of countries with the cleanest water.
https://www.triphobo.com/blog/countr...t-of-tap-water
As a previous member posted the US isn't even in the top 19 with the cleanest water.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:48 PM

2,507 posts, read 2,269,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It's not all about Mexico or Russia, there are countries with better water than the US which aren't represented in the graphic such as:

Latvia, Colombia and Costa Rica. In fact my skin & hair have never been healthier since I was in Bogota thanks to the pure water.

As a previous member posted the US isn't even in the top 19 with the cleanest water.
I'm still not risking it if it's not recommended. I'm neither a local or a long stay resident. If I have a week to visit and travel then I have no time to be potentially sick.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:38 PM

1,378 posts, read 633,983 times
Interesting Hong Kong, which is part of China is listed as a place with water safe to drink. Virtually no local drinks the water from the tap there. The water supply comes mostly from the mainland as the SAR have almost no local sources of water except for saltwater, and desalination could not provide that much water for the people.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:11 AM

3,656 posts, read 3,519,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
Translation: I like spending money on something that is no healthier or safer than the nearly free option. (not to mention the unnecessary plastic bottle and where it ends up) :-/

There are numerous scientific studies that show tap water to perfectly safe in the US (and other countries, of course) and that most bottled water is no healthier or safer (and in some cases even less safe).

I got a container like this and I fill 5 gallons from grocery shop-RO filtered or whatever they say. At around 30 cents per gallon, $1.50 can last 5-6 days.
I also keep a crate of sam's choice drinking water bottles - around 2.50 dollars for 12 or sometimes 16 bottles in Car-not a bad deal.
Not very expensive-better then chlorine smelly white fumey drinking water coming from taps.
I put plastic waste for recycling - it is upto the authorities to make recycling more efficient.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:58 AM

4,389 posts, read 1,666,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interesting Hong Kong, which is part of China is listed as a place with water safe to drink. Virtually no local drinks the water from the tap there. The water supply comes mostly from the mainland as the SAR have almost no local sources of water except for saltwater, and desalination could not provide that much water for the people.
I asked a very well educated Hong Kong scientist about the water. He explained that the old plumbing contained a lot of lead and other heavy metals, so people have been (wisely) cautioned not to drink a great deal of it over a lifetime. But it is purified, so there is no danger of communicable diseased from it. I pointed out that boiling water does not reduce the heavy metals, and he laughed and said in fact, boiling it increases the concentration of the metals. The I asked if his family boils their water. He laughed again and said "Yes".

Like rat-boards, which rats can easily jump over, traditions die hard.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 546,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Actually there are dozens of reservoirs in Hong Kong. One of them, the Plover Cove Reservoir, was made by turning a sea inlet into a reservoir in early 1960s. By then, it was a major engineering feat by world standard.

In fact, unlike other major cities like Shanghai and Beijing and Guangzhou, Hong Kong is ironically facing a water glut and not a water shortage. HK government entered into a inflexible long term contract with a company in Guangdong (which is listed in HK stock exchange) for a fixed volume of water supplied to Hong Kong every year. But due to the the frequent torrential rain experienced in Hong Kong in recent years, the reservoirs have been always near full or even overflowing.

So a lot of water from Guangdong were in fact dumped into the ocean directly from the pipe. But HK taxpayers still have to pay for it. And the rate is quite high as compared with what Malaysia sells to Singapore.

The desalinization plant was dismantled. Recently there is a new proposal to rebuild another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia