U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:31 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times

Advertisements

As an American this is something that I find hard getting used to, not having drinkable water come out of the faucet. Which countries in Asia have drinkable water from the faucet? Perhaps there are certain cities or provinces in some countries that have drinkable water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,119,529 times
I thought the tap water in Japan would be perfect then last month in Kyoto the water tasted pretty bad so I bought bottled water instead.

I heard that some crazy people drink tap water in Taiwan but I strongly advise against it.

Last edited by Greysholic; 03-07-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 03-07-2017, 08:48 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,437,047 times
The Philippines has water you can drink in the major cities such as Cagayan de Oro City, Cebu City, Makati to name a few. If the city has a water treatment plant, then the water is drinkable but then comes the problem of what type of pipes did they use to build the house or building, in our condo in Cebu City, when we leave for long periods of time, the water comes out rusty for a few minutes when we turn it back on, thus while the water itself is safe to drink, the pipes it goes through make the water into something that I would not drink without filtering it first.

Now as for bottled water in some of these countries, who says that it is filtered correctly, I seriously doubt it since that water usually comes from the taps and then gets filtered via a machine, so how often do they change the filter in that machine...

Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
The Philippines has water you can drink in the major cities such as Cagayan de Oro City, Cebu City, Makati to name a few. If the city has a water treatment plant, then the water is drinkable but then comes the problem of what type of pipes did they use to build the house or building, in our condo in Cebu City, when we leave for long periods of time, the water comes out rusty for a few minutes when we turn it back on, thus while the water itself is safe to drink, the pipes it goes through make the water into something that I would not drink without filtering it first.

Now as for bottled water in some of these countries, who says that it is filtered correctly, I seriously doubt it since that water usually comes from the taps and then gets filtered via a machine, so how often do they change the filter in that machine...
Not trying to be rude but the Philippines is definitely one of those (many) countries where I would never even consider driking from the tap, not even in 7 stars beach resorts. I probably wouldn't want to brush my teeth with it either.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:55 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,437,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Not trying to be rude but the Philippines is definitely one of those (many) countries where I would never even consider driking from the tap, not even in 7 stars beach resorts. I probably wouldn't want to brush my teeth with it either.
but I suspect that you do not live here, I do, so who might know better... I and many westerners do drink tap water in many places within the Philippines and my wife and I do brush our teeth with tap water and do drink tap water in Cebu City, Cagayan de Oro and Makati in homes and hotels and never got sick, yet insinuating "the Philippines" as if it is all the same, is like insinuating that the US is all the same, I would not drink the water in many parts of the US either.

Quote:
How long is the Philippines?
The Philippines occupies an area that stretches for 1,850 kilometers (1,150 mi) from about the fifth to the twentieth parallels north latitude. The total land area is slightly more than 300,000 square kilometers (115,831 sq mi).

The Philippines is an archipelago that consists of 7,641 islands[1] with a total land area of 301,780 square kilometers (116,518 sq mi).[2][not in citation given][3] The 11 largest islands contain 95% of the total land area. The largest of these islands is Luzon at about 105,000 square kilometers (40,541 sq mi). The next largest island is Mindanao at about 95,000 square kilometers (36,680 sq mi). The archipelago is around 800 kilometers (500 mi) from the Asian mainland and is located between Taiwan and Borneo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...he_Philippines
Quote:
Water supply is the process of providing water in a systematic way through installed pumps and pipe lines. Before water is provided to a specific area, it undegoes a process called sanitation to ensure that the quality of water received is safe for human consumption. The Philippines’ water supply system dates back to 1946 after the country achieved its independence. Government agencies, local institutions, non-government organizations, and other corporations are primarily in charge in the operation and administration of water supply and sanitation in the country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_...he_Philippines
Now with all that written, there is no way I would drink the water while out in the provinces or while in small towns within the Philippines and I do try to filter the water anyway and I do that in Florida too...

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 03-08-2017 at 12:11 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 12:19 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,271,551 times
Tap water is safe to drink in Singapore

Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,637,007 times
I always boil water before drinking, in the US or abroad.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:23 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,165,304 times
I wouldn't call American water drinkable either. I never drink water out of the faucet, anywhere in the world. I use a filter, or bottled if I'm not at home

Old 03-08-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I wouldn't call American water drinkable either. I never drink water out of the faucet, anywhere in the world. I use a filter, or bottled if I'm not at home
Well tap water in places like the Netherlands, Austria, Sweden etc. tastes exactly the same as bottled water. I thought Japan would be like that, I guess it was just that specific hotel, or there's some regional inconsistencies.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:00 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The difference is almost all water in the US is treated and filtered, whereas many other countries do not. I have a water purifier at my home in the US, but that's not going to be enough in some countries where the water needs to be boiled.

Here in China I installed a real filtration system in my home and boil the water. If I'm not home I always drink bottled water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia