U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:59 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,252,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
NYC has much higher per capita GDP than any of these cities you mentioned, maybe except Zurich.
You are the one who prefer the GDP number.

BTW, I lived in Geneva for some time. The living standards are so so. Geneva would rank higher than all of these cities you mentioned, except Zurich or Vienna
None of them have a GDP per capita as low as Hangzhou's. They are solidly within range to be called "developed." And I wasn't referring to living standards when using GDP per capita, I was referring to economic strength, which is not to same as GDP per capita or living standards. I pointed out GDP per capita in reference to Hangzhou to show that not only is it not an economic powerhouse but also that it is doing poorly when taking into consideration how populous it is. What do you want to discuss, economic powerhouses or living standards? Because I thought the premise of the thread was the former, not the latter.

Like I said before, give actual evidence or data that living standards are better, not your opinion of what you liked more. I could prefer living in Khartoum over Munich because it has superior living standards, in my opinion, but that doesn't make it fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 09:31 AM

1,940 posts, read 938,455 times
Quote:
Number of billionaires is a good measure of wealth and global power for each city.
here is the ranking for Asian cities from Forbes based on the number of billionnaires

1. Hongkong
2. Beijing
3. Shanghai
4. Seoul
5. Shenzhen
6. Singapore
7. Hangzhou
8. Taibei
9. Tokyo
10. Bangkok
11. Guangzhou
Just a small correction. India is in Asia and the number of billionaires in Mumbai (41) makes it occupy the number 6 spot in the Forbes rankings, between Beijing and Shanghai on your list. But in your blind pro Chinese gung ho mentality, you conveniently left it out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryansal.../#937cd2936772

Old 03-23-2017, 09:36 AM

6,773 posts, read 5,121,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
But in your blind pro Chinese gung ho mentality, you conveniently left it out.

Excellent lol.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 AM

22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Just a small correction. India is in Asia and the number of billionaires in Mumbai (41) makes it occupy the number 6 spot in the Forbes rankings, between Beijing and Shanghai on your list. But in your blind pro Chinese gung ho mentality, you conveniently left it out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryansal.../#937cd2936772
He does seem really gung ho about China, but it's not really a great showing for India with just Mumbai on the list. Are there other South Asian cities that rank well?

Anyhow, none of these rankings change the fact that Beijing sort of blows.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:20 AM

1,940 posts, read 938,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
He does seem really gung ho about China, but it's not really a great showing for India with just Mumbai on the list. Are there other South Asian cities that rank well?

Anyhow, none of these rankings change the fact that Beijing sort of blows.
I am not disagreeing with you. Other than Mumbai, and Delhi with a distant 20th place no other city makes it. But if the OP had included both then Mumbai has would have kicked out Guangzhou out of the 10th place on his list since both Delhi and Guangzhou were tied for 20th place.

India's rankings on this list sucks, no doubt about it. But does not mean that it is OK to leave out a city to make the Chinese rankings look rosier than it is.

I don't eny Chinese achievements. But having seen Mumbai with obscene wealth next to utter poverty I am not sure what these rankings mean in real life. Maybe it would have been better if Mumbai had less billionaires but the median income of the city was much better and those in slums are not in those any more.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 AM

3,572 posts, read 1,025,335 times
Tokyo is the best.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:04 AM

4 posts, read 1,915 times
You must bring UAE into your consideration.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:58 AM

26 posts, read 12,014 times
Quote:
I don't know who would pronounce Taipei. In Mandarin, it is pronounced Taibei.
HI,Dude

Some city's name is not based on Pinyin

It's...........rather than
Hong Kong.....Xiang Gang
Harbin.......... Ha'erbin
Urumqi..........Wulumuqi
Lhasa............Lasa

Tsingtao Beer...........Qingdao Beer
Tsinghua University....Qinghua University

FYR

Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammodels View Post
You must bring UAE into your consideration.
UAE is a country, not a city.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 PM

9,602 posts, read 2,652,213 times
Japanese cities (all of them) are far better than anything Chinese cities can offer in development, cleanliness, transportation, food, people, tech, and entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or