U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 05:41 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,703,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
China has the best returns, but its so tough to time the market and everything is already expensive. When you factor in the risks of the real estate market, I would avoid China, in my personal opinion.
I agree, but I will rather say "China had the best return". The recent increase in house prices is caused by household debt surging from 28% to 43%. This may sound low compared to around 50 - 120% in western countries. But in China the wage share of GDP is low, and a lot of people do not have access to credit. If you adjust for this, then China household debt is just as high as western countries.

China debt rise is a one trick pony, and won't happen again. In fact it is likely the price will drop again. If that happens, I wouldn't want to invest anywhere in Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 09:00 PM

6,066 posts, read 10,844,519 times
I couldn’t believe how affordable Doha Qatar is when technically being the number one most wealthiest country on this entire Planet according to average annual income. Much more to people’s own desire towards cost of living compared to Switzerland, Norway, Singapore, San Francisco. Those other Persian Gulf cities of Manama Bahrain, Kuwait City Kuwait are rather identical to Doha. Even Baku Azerbaijan is trying to copy this region around Dubai in their own unique ways. Such as the Khazar Islands.

Can you believe Azerbaijan might have the tallest building in this World within a few years-one decade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazar_Islands

“Avesta, the company responsible for the islands' development, is constructing the city to house 1 million residents, contain 150 schools, 50 hospitals and daycare centers, numerous parks, shopping malls, cultural centers, university campuses, a Formula 1 quality racetrack, and the Azerbaijan Tower (expected to be the tallest in the world).[2][3][5] The $2 billion tower is to be the centerpiece of the Khazar Islands,[6] a $100 billion city of 41 artificial islands that will spread 3,000 hectares over the Caspian Sea”

“The president of the Avesta Group of Companies, Ibrahim Ibrahimov, told reporters that American, Turkish, Arab and Chinese investors have already showed their interest in the project that will be, in his words, like a "new Venice".”

“The project is scheduled to be completed between 2020 and 2025.”

Busan South Korea, Fukuoka Kyushu Japan, Kunming Yunnan, Harbin Heilongjiang China, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Jakarta Indonesia, Saigon, Hanoi, Hoi An Vietnam, Georgetown Malaysia, Phuket Thailand, Taipei Taiwan are other trendy emerging thriving real estate real zones of fortune.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-14-2017 at 09:09 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 PM

653 posts, read 540,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Is there another city that is just at the verge of taking off, and can deliver what China real estate delivered in the past 15 years? (looks like about 25% return annually)

There has been some talks about Vietnam being the next "world's factory", is HCMC it?

Or I notice Foxconn is opening plants in India's Chennai. Is that a sign?

Is Chambodia up and coming? Are they in that investment sweet spot yet?

Of course China could still be it; but the prices are just so high already.... They are even higher than US. Can they continue to rise at such high pace?

What else are there?
Chongqing

Penang

Malacca

Song-do

Old 04-19-2017, 04:09 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,703,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I couldn’t believe how affordable Doha Qatar is when technically being the number one most wealthiest country on this entire Planet according to average annual income. Much more to people’s own desire towards cost of living compared to Switzerland, Norway, Singapore, San Francisco. Those other Persian Gulf cities of Manama Bahrain, Kuwait City Kuwait are rather identical to Doha. Even Baku Azerbaijan is trying to copy this region around Dubai in their own unique ways. Such as the Khazar Islands.
Dubai and Doha are not that cheap, as you can see below. Maybe it feels cheap, because some things are really cheap due to underpaid migrant workers.

Local Purchasing Power:
Dubai: 108
Copenhagen: 102
Doha: 101
Stockholm: 95
Oslo: 95

Net Income
Dubai: $3,327
Oslo: $3,184
Doha: $2,984
Copenhagen: $2,943
Stockholm: $2,542

Source: Numbeo.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM

19 posts, read 21,566 times
I live throughout asia and generally speaking every country has had rapid price appreciation for the last 10 years... anything a foreigner would want to live in is priced at a premium. It makes zero sense to buy something to generate rental income anywhere, you'll be upside down from the start. With the new glut everywhere, unloading a pre-owned property isn't going to happen unless it's at a deep discount.

The best one can hope for when buying is that the rapid appreciation continues well into the future and then unload before the building starts aging significantly (happens quick here). otherwise known as risky speculation.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 PM

992 posts, read 577,974 times
I think India's economy will expand massively in the next 2 decades. Try for a tier 2 city that will blow up, like many provincial capitals in China.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM

2,010 posts, read 1,191,405 times
Luxury condos are running 500-700 USD PSF in Bangkok. Half of Singapore, and one fifth of Hong Kong prices, where many of the buyers are coming from. Yields are only 3%, which is better than the 2% in the even more premium markets, but buyers are looming for appreciation. Land prices in prime Bangkok are sky high. OTOH, I was just looking at a 17th floor studio 600 meters from a new Skytrain stop for about 12,000 USD. LOL. Something for everyone.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Why is the studio so cheap? What's the tradeoff?

Old 04-27-2017, 01:07 AM

2,010 posts, read 1,191,405 times
Older building, 10 km from Central Business district. The BTS Station is Samrong...google will map it for you. Might get a lot of air traffic, too. It is an NPA..non performing asset....so that also means a discount. I will have a look next month. They say land costs are running 60% of condo project costs in Bangkok you will play dearly for a prime location. BTS stations don't seem to bring huge appreciation on the outskirts, like they do in the CBD. It is actually expensive to ride for working class Thais, who are mainly the ones living out there. It will get more desirable as the city continues to grow.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:48 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Ah I gotcha. 60% is insane and technically you can't even own the land haha. Yeah I remember the Skytrain being a few USD and I figured everyone on board was either an expat, a tourist, or relatively wealthy.

Is there any chance to airbnb these condos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or