Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I think you guys are not aware of some things, the election this Sept is for the President , not for the government and the ruling party. We have 2 different mandatory elections that Sg citizens have to vote, the general election which the government and ruling party is elected, and another is the Presidential election which the head of state is elected.

For your info, the President of Singapore is independent of involvement in any of Singapore's political parties, he is not a member and will not be someone who is a member of any Singapore politicial party.
Thank you for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
When you compare Taiwan to the best of Europe, USA, Australia, yes it still is in the stone ages. Compared Asia it's pretty advanced.
what kind of western-centric nonesense.

The US and Australia are in the stone age in many aspects, particularly public infrastruture.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

The US and Australia are in the stone age in many aspects, particularly public infrastruture.
Not really. It's a fair assessment. One simply doesn't see the same amount of bull**** in real progressive, advanced countries.

The US might suck real bad in some aspects (terrible healthcare system, violent crimes, public transportation, awful conditions for the poor etc.), but Australia is good or the best in almost every single way. You can't expect such a huge and sparse country to have good public transportation.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:29 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
So, the leader of Singapore is the Prime Minister? I heard Germany also has a similar political structure.
Yes the leader is the Prime Minister with the President as the Head of State.

If I am not wrong it is like Uk, the Govt and Prime MInister runs the country and the queen is the head of state but in the case of Singapore the head is the President

Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Singapore is one of the least democratic countries on earth, it is just that they have money and civilisation and therefore usually nobody cares. Right before every election there are some smaller parties coming out to pretend that there is a choice. lol. Right after the election they disappear again.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:13 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

How is Australia's infrastructure in the stone age?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Singapore is one of the least democratic countries on earth, it is just that they have money and civilisation and therefore usually nobody cares. Right before every election there are some smaller parties coming out to pretend that there is a choice. lol. Right after the election they disappear again.
how is it different from every time there is a small third party in the US that pretends it has a chance?

Two parties is probably a bit better than one, but not by much. Not to mention the two candidates are not selected by American voters, but are forced upon voters by the elites of the two parties. I just don't see how much more "democratic" this is.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:48 PM

280 posts, read 339,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How is Australia's infrastructure in the stone age?

It's not, it's not state of the art either but, cmon, when we this spread out in Australia, it is almost futile and economic to do so. If we ever were to build a maglev or bullet train from Sydney to Melbourne, it's still at least a 4-5 journey at best assuming max speed of 250km/hr is reach for most of the journey.

Mass transportation only works for countries where it is densely packed like Asia...even then most are running on heavy government subsidies and even loses! Countries like China and Japan and to some lesser extent South Korea are able to absorb losses as they can actually sell the technology to others, not so in Australia.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
It's not, it's not state of the art either but, cmon, when we this spread out in Australia, it is almost futile and economic to do so. If we ever were to build a maglev or bullet train from Sydney to Melbourne, it's still at least a 4-5 journey at best assuming max speed of 250km/hr is reach for most of the journey.

Mass transportation only works for countries where it is densely packed like Asia...even then most are running on heavy government subsidies and even loses! Countries like China and Japan and to some lesser extent South Korea are able to absorb losses as they can actually sell the technology to others, not so in Australia.
You are right.

But what frustrates is me whenever we talk about lack of great infrastructure in US/Australia, people are very understanding about the density and other specific circumstances. However, when talking about politics, you guys rarely consider the history and culture of Asia and act as if the western way is the only right way.

Singapore is doing fine with the de facto one party system. It is transparent, efficient and less corrupt than almost all western governments. Why change it?

I have no rush in being dramatic change to China's authoritarian government either. You guys don't know China's history and its people. If it adopts a full western democracy next year, the country will slump into chaos and the economic grow will stop or even go backwards. Or maybe it is what the west wants to see so that no country may rise to challenge it, or compete for world resources.

double standard?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:53 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
Quote:
You are right.

If it adopts a full western democracy next year, the country will slump into chaos and the economic grow will stop or even go backwards. Or maybe it is what the west wants to see so that no country may rise to challenge it, or compete for world resources.

double standard?
I'd rather see a democratic china with a free press so I can know if my bao has cardboard in it or my milk is contaminated, and i can vote for my mayor.

If red china is run by xenophobic facist han that live in canada with an inferiority complex left over from losses from opium wars and the boxer rebellion and have a center kingdom mentality, then maybe china should be split up into 3 kingdoms called wei, wu, and shu. It would make nationalistic communist han more manageable.

Red china can't even keep its vassal state, north korea, in check. Mao said power is with in a gun. Well, north korea has the gun. To koreans, japan is a the enemy of hundreds years but china is the enemy of thousands. I'm sure north korean missiles can reach Beijing if they can reach japan.

free tibet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia