U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,277,811 times

Advertisements

Which Asia country police force is not trustworthy and you have no faith in ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 09:49 PM

6,786 posts, read 5,144,365 times
No. Not that I think they'd shoot me or anything, but they usually do not respect the protection of privacy, often conduct illegal searches etc. They are really discriminating as well (usually towards the poor/SE Asians), and they are usually pretty corrupt, like the rich people could easily walk away from their dirty work. If there's any case of police brutality, they usually don't get prosecuted either, though there have been cases in which the cops got indicted for shooting red-handed offenders.

They also turn a blind eye on most of the traffic infractions, especially in the south. Seriously the south is like ****ing no man's land, with scooters violating traffic safety laws all the time, as if the police doesn't exist. The north isn't that much better either, the scooters are always piling up on the sidewalks, which people are just very used to.

Just an all around pathetic situation.

Last edited by Greysholic; 03-28-2017 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 10:10 PM

6,731 posts, read 6,626,785 times
Asian cops (including Chinese ones) are often more corrupt than in western countries, but on the other hand they are less likely to go extreme.

In many Asian countries, you can see people loudly argue with policemen or even grab and scratch them. In America, they are very likely to get shot by doing so.

Last edited by Bettafish; 03-28-2017 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,277,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Asian cops (including Chinese ones) are often more corrupt than in western countries, but on the other hand they less likely to go extreme.

In many Asian countries, you can see people loudly argue with policemen or even grab and scratch them
. In America, they are very likely to get shot by doing so.
In Singapore, we dont mess around with Sg police....

I am curious and wonder if anyone can tell me more about the Hong Kong Police.. Are they respected ? Do the public fear them or mess around with the Hong Kong police ?

Last edited by singaporelady; 03-28-2017 at 10:54 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 PM

662 posts, read 588,942 times
Police in Mainland China are pretty bad and lack good training as well as a pro-active attitude. Things have gotten better with the police in the big cities, but the smaller cities almost every police officer is corrupt and will accept bribes. Its really the environment and very difficult to change.

Police in China do not actively try and prevent crime from happening, nor do they patrol the streets and ride around looking for crime like they do in North America or other Western developed countries. They have some reports and paperwork to complete, but for the most part they hang out in the police station waiting for emergency calls to respond to a crime or accident.

I have no confidence at all of the police in China protecting me, let alone treating me fairly if something happened. Also, locals are judged in a much higher regard, then if your from another outside province. Also wealthy have much more leverage then poor people have, but it depends on the individual or situation.

On the positive, training is getting better, and the response time of the police officers to respond to reports of crime or accidents has improve greatly, even in small cities. However the gap between China police and police from say North America is still huge.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 PM

662 posts, read 588,942 times
Also, last week my wife called 110 emergency hotline to report something here in Guangzhou, and they had to put her on hold for 3 minutes. That's pretty bad.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 AM

3,156 posts, read 2,713,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Also, last week my wife called 110 emergency hotline to report something here in Guangzhou, and they had to put her on hold for 3 minutes. That's pretty bad.
I have heard a lot worse from for instance Sweden. I have some experience with Chinese police in the cities. They are cold towards strangers, but that is just how chinese society function. If you get to know them, which you should, then they are quite nice and helpful.

I don't trust the Chinese police to do a good job, but at least they try. I have no experience with this, but Chinese locals tell me that if you report a serious crime such as rape, and have evidence, they will take it quite seriously. If you do that in my home country, you have to wait up to a year for them to start the investigation, and then they might drop the case because they do not have the resources to verify the evidence or you cannot prove that you didn't want to get drugged.

Quote:
Police in China do not actively try and prevent crime from happening, nor do they patrol the streets and ride around looking for crime like they do in North America or other Western developed countries. They have some reports and paperwork to complete, but for the most part they hang out in the police station waiting for emergency calls to respond to a crime or accident.
That may be true in America, but not in other western developed countries. And to be fair, the most important thing is that you can make an emergency call, and they actually will come.

Last edited by Camlon; 03-30-2017 at 06:21 AM..

Old 03-30-2017, 07:11 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,652,198 times
Police in China can be complicated. On one hand, many are corrupt and accept bribes, but on the other hand, I would trust police to keep me safe. But then you throw in the Chinese legal system which is a complete mess. I do not trust the legal system there at all. Wealthy have a huge advantage over poor, locals have a huge advantage over foreigners or non-local Chinese. It is not a fair or equal system at all. If you are not a wealthy foreigner, don't ever get into legal trouble. Also, connections with Chinese government officials or police are used constantly in legal disputes. If you are a foreigner in China definitely try to make some friends with police and government officials. Take them out to eat, drink with them, buy them some baijiu.

It's nothing like the US. Sure the US has some problems, but I trust our legal system and police far more then I ever would in China.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:26 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,090,065 times
:d no

Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,652,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
That may be true in America, but not in other western developed countries. And to be fair, the most important thing is that you can make an emergency call, and they actually will come.
Not all western countries are the same or equal when it comes to police or the legal system, but most are far better then what you will find in Asia, or most parts of the world.

The crime rate statistics for most Asian countries are complete bs, serious crimes like murder and rape are low in places like China, but theft is incredibly prevalent. Not just pickpocketing, but motorcycle and car theft are very common. The police simply don't report them. Also police will not normally get involved in domestic disputes, even if one person has gotten beaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or