U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 AM

1,806 posts, read 810,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I took the Chinese high speed trains quite a few times during my 2 working stints in China. I found them to be very efficient. My own only issue was that some Chinese person sat in my assigned seat on one of the trips and that was frustrating trying to get them out of my seat.
I have nothing to complain about Chinese high speed rail except for other passengers.

Some inconsiderate passengers may listen to music without headphones. It's going to be a torture for longer rides(2 hours+).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 PM

1,367 posts, read 549,643 times
Though it is not high speed train, has anyone boarded the Golmud-Lhasa train?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 PM

277 posts, read 205,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I met a lady from Munich a couple of weeks ago, and she said the technology was originally used to serve Munich (to the airport or something), but the Germans decided it was too expensive and let China to have it. Funnily, she was kind of sad Munich didn't adopt it. But I think Germany probably made the right choice.

There is a plan to have a Shanghai-Hangzhou maglev, but nothing concrete due to the price. The existing high speed train probably makes it more competitive at all.

It was an expensive experiment, and in order to advance technology you have to pay the price.
If China cant ramp down prices and absorb technology, no one can.

Having said that I thought China made the right choice on maglev, it was able to provide it an expensive learning experience moving higher up in the tech chain.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,644,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
If China cant ramp down prices and absorb technology, no one can.

Having said that I thought China made the right choice on maglev, it was able to provide it an expensive learning experience moving higher up in the tech chain.
I agree too and China can use that as an advertisement to the world saying if you want a high quality maglev train come to us and we can build it for you. Now if China continues to expand it, that may be a waste.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:47 PM

277 posts, read 205,356 times
Im curious as to what tech the Chinese HST is based on? From what I've heard, they fused tech from Kawasaki (Japan), Alstom (France) and to some lesser degree Bombardier and Siemens of Canada and Germany respectively. How does it stack up on an international scale? Are they 70-80% against the best of the best in the field?

Quite suprisingly I've heard positive feedback mostly on the Chinese HST from friends and here on forums...sounds like a competitive product at Chinese prices?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 PM

117 posts, read 64,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
Im curious as to what tech the Chinese HST is based on? From what I've heard, they fused tech from Kawasaki (Japan), Alstom (France) and to some lesser degree Bombardier and Siemens of Canada and Germany respectively. How does it stack up on an international scale? Are they 70-80% against the best of the best in the field?

Quite suprisingly I've heard positive feedback mostly on the Chinese HST from friends and here on forums...sounds like a competitive product at Chinese prices?

China has developed its own HST for many decades ever since 1970. China's earliest HST was running at 200KM/H (125 mile/hour). In the 2000s, China decided to import foreign-ed parts to improve its HST. They imported parts from Germany and Japan. But they were soon found them to be too expensive to use widely for expansion due to costs associated with license fees and imported parts. In order to cut costs avoiding all the license fees, China shifted its strategy. They resorted to spend $200 millions USD for R&D to develop and continuously improve its own at late 2000s. Basically they have hired 10,000 scientists and engineers from 20 China university and college campus to continuously innovate its own HST.

I think China's next generation HST will be ready by 2020. Its running speed will be around 675 km/h or 375 miles per hour. Not sure about Japan or Germany though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or