U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 07:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 546,239 times

Advertisements

Having been on Shinkansen many many times, this year I boarded China's high speed railroad for the first time.

Some comparisons:

(1) Security:

Passengers on China's have to go through name matching on ticket and x-ray screening on heavy luggage. Japan's passengers ride Shinkansen as they ride other trains.

(2) Convenience:

In connecting with other modes of transportation, Shinkansen fares better since its platform is just one of dozen platforms at major hubs. China's high speed railway station is independent and isolated from others. Even for changing to subway, passengers have to drag their luggage for a long walk. And many stations are far from the city center.

(3) Order:

Surprisingly while other regular train stations in China are always in a mess, High Speed rail station in China is very orderly. Passengers line up properly and don't need to fight to get inside the train.

(4) Sanitary:

Though bathrooms in Shinkansen are still cleaner, bathrooms in China's High Speed train are reasonably clean. Passengers are quite well-behaved and not much littering. Train staff constantly sweep the floor.

(5) Design:

That is where China stands out. Each passenger train has designated area for luggage parking. On Shinkansen the only space you can park your baggage is at the rear of the last row of seat and that is usually taken. Moreover, the overhead compartment in China's is transparent that passengers will not leave anything behind. There is also a panel which shows the speed of train while there is none on Shinkansen.

(6) Safety:

Shinkansen has almost a perfect record while China had a major accident so far. But statistically wise both are much safer than Amtrak or those commuter trains running in U.S.

(7) Speed:

Shinkansen runs up to 320 km while the train I rode in China had been up to 310 km. Both are fast and steady.

(8) Amenities:

There are much more eateries and shops in Japan's train station than China's High Speed Rail station. Moreover, price is more reasonable in Japan while those eateries at Chinese station charge exorbitant price. Train attendants in Shinkansen walk around selling bento while China's lack same kind of service. There is dining compartment but it is fully seated by passengers (at least on the train that I boarded).

(9) Technology:

Shinkansen now runs through the undersea tunnel of Tsugaru Strait and reaches Hokkaido. So far China's High Speed Railroad is still above ground.

(10) Punctuality:

Both trains depart at the exact minute per scheduled time. Very punctual.

I would conclude both systems of China and Japan offer leisure and speedy ride. Price wise, China's is much more affordable.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 04-04-2017 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 AM

26 posts, read 11,995 times
Thank you, As a Chinese citizen, I am very glad that you like our High Speed Railway system.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:04 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Very balanced assessment.

The shinkansei is indeed way too expensive!

Old 04-06-2017, 03:50 AM

26 posts, read 11,995 times
On Chinese HSR there are attendents selling meals

Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,638,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Dragon View Post
On Chinese HSR there are attendents selling meals
Actually I remember there being more room then that on the high speed train. The seats were very comfortable and could swivel around 180 degrees.

I've ridden the high speed train twice and the Shanghai Maglev twice. I had no idea the Shanghai Maglev can hit 431km until I was looking it up.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Actually I remember there being more room then that on the high speed train. The seats were very comfortable and could swivel around 180 degrees.

I've ridden the high speed train twice and the Shanghai Maglev twice. I had no idea the Shanghai Maglev can hit 431km until I was looking it up.
The Maglev is a huge white elephant for shanghai. Expensive but not that useful. It is more toursty than serving as a means of transportation.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:25 AM

276 posts, read 204,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The Maglev is a huge white elephant for shanghai. Expensive but not that useful. It is more toursty than serving as a means of transportation.
At the time, it was provided a platform in which China displayed to the world that it could afford the best technology as at the time, maglev was only a concept that was never used in reality for such a distance. Surely the Chinese have also mastered the technology enough by now as well? Expensive learning experience.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
At the time, it was provided a platform in which China displayed to the world that it could afford the best technology as at the time, maglev was only a concept that was never used in reality for such a distance. Surely the Chinese have also mastered the technology enough by now as well? Expensive learning experience.
I met a lady from Munich a couple of weeks ago, and she said the technology was originally used to serve Munich (to the airport or something), but the Germans decided it was too expensive and let China to have it. Funnily, she was kind of sad Munich didn't adopt it. But I think Germany probably made the right choice.

There is a plan to have a Shanghai-Hangzhou maglev, but nothing concrete due to the price. The existing high speed train probably makes it more competitive at all.

It was an expensive experiment, and in order to advance technology you have to pay the price.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:40 PM

345 posts, read 154,743 times
We recently took the high speed train from Beijing to Xi'an. Highest speed was about 305 kph. Since there were 3 of us we booked 2nd class so we could have 3 seats across together. Luggage had to be left at the rear of the compartment. Small overhead area for small bags. Seating was a little tight. Overall the journey was fine but the food was pretty awful.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 AM

32,071 posts, read 32,974,848 times
I took the Chinese high speed trains quite a few times during my 2 working stints in China. I found them to be very efficient. My own only issue was that some Chinese person sat in my assigned seat on one of the trips and that was frustrating trying to get them out of my seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or