U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:44 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,229,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
On that front I agree with you. I despise those who are cruel to animals, any animal, and dogs and cats are no different.

Westerners can look down anyone they want based on their value, but Asians on the other hand also look down upon westerners for other things. For example, many Asians really despise the fact that in many western countries adult children do not take the responsibility of taking care of their senior parents (by taking care of, it often means living with them and looking after them on a daily basis). So you can't say who is right and who is wrong. There is no universal value.

Among western countries it varies too. Americans think it is cruel for the French to force feed ducks to make fois gras, but most French people think it is no big deal. Vegatarians also think it is inhuman to eat meat at all.

Animal cruelty as I said is a separate matter and you guys always mix the two by making it one. Most westerners simply criticize dog eating in general, even the dog was killed mercifully (like how cows are killed in the west), and i say, that's Hypocricy. People on the other side of planet has no responsibility to consider how westerns feel about dogs and cats. Nobody is forcing them to eat, but don't judge others for that (again, assuming no unnececary cruelty involved).

Westerner's are very different in how they look after senior parents I've seen this first hand I work in the medical field and used to interact with the elderly years ago in the USA. I hate to generalize but I definitely noticed some patterns the worst in general were those who were entirely culturally American(regardless if they were white, black or brown) by far the most selfish. I did notice however notice a significant difference with some with USA southern roots. The most involved supportive children were some Asian groups, Southern Europeans, and Latin Americans but all that was pretty much null and void if they were not connected to their culture of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 04:31 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Westerner's are very different in how they look after senior parents I've seen this first hand I work in the medical field and used to interact with the elderly years ago in the USA. I hate to generalize but I definitely noticed some patterns the worst in general were those who were entirely culturally American(regardless if they were white, black or brown) by far the most selfish. I did notice however notice a significant difference with some with USA southern roots. The most involved supportive children were some Asian groups, Southern Europeans, and Latin Americans but all that was pretty much null and void if they were not connected to their culture of origin.
That's probably true. The Southern Europeans have very tight family ties. My Greek friend who is in her 50s told me that her married son calls her very frequently, several times a week, just to check on her mother. It is unimagible in the pure American/Anglo culture.

Western "Experts" are often concerned about the aging Chinese population, too many elder for too few young people blah blah. They don't seem to understand th culture where most of the responsibility of taking care of the old people fall on the family, not on unknown tax payers. Especially in small cities or the country side, if parents don't live with one of their children, the children will be harshly criticized and face a lot of social pressure, because it is considered cruel and selfish. Yet you rarely see the Chinese pointing fingers at Americans for this difference.

This news talks about "attitude change" as if it were a step toward the right direction. I just can't agree with. People should be allowed to eat dogs and cats like other animals, as long as the animals were killed in a humane manner. This "ban" is sensiless. just because you function more like western country doesn't mean you are getting any better.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 AM

17,370 posts, read 21,218,356 times
They keep raising the fines, jail and prison terms for abuse of cats and dogs in this country, and they stop by a grab a hamburger or McRibs at McDonald's on their way home from work!

But isn't World History chock-full of similar ironies?

Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 AM

21 posts, read 16,714 times
They should have just banned animal cruelty in general.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:46 AM

6,771 posts, read 5,114,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqoots View Post
It is already banned. They added this provision only because the dog and cat lovers keep pushing it, dog and cat meat never had any market.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqoots View Post
it is pretty clear the legislation has nothing to do with animal cruelty. It is about what people can eat and what they can't.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:09 AM

4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFelfDbkzm4

Old 04-21-2017, 12:30 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,630,790 times
As a westerner who has tried dog meat in Asia, I have to say that I do not see something wrong with eating that kind of meat. I mean, I do not like it. It is just not delicious to me. But people eating dogs for me is not much different than eating pigs, cows, rabbits or chickens.

The only thing that I hate is the living conditions of that animals, because some Asians think that dogs have to be beaten up before killing, to make the meat delicious or whatever. Somebody told me that due to the hormons of fear etc. the meat would become better.

I love to eat meat. But I think animals eaten should be treated respectfully and carefully.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times
Reminds me of a vet story from vietnam

sailor was stationed there, all his mates said not to eat the hamburger. When asked about it, they asked him in the time that he's been here, has he seen a cow?

He ate it anyways and said it wasn't too bad

Old 05-05-2017, 01:40 PM

5,180 posts, read 4,672,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The logic is quite simple here: if one can eat pigs, cows and chicken without guilt, so can others eat cats and dogs. just because some peope think cats and dogs are "cute" and "are people's friends" because their own culture doesn't give them the right to denounce others for consuming them.

As I mentioned before, where is your concience when you eat your steak when a billion Hinduists consider

Last word: if you think one can't eat a certain animal, it is only because you are not hungry enough.
Not going to get into the morality debate, but this line of debate does bring up something which is often overlooked especially when it comes to archaeology & domestication.

Its unclear when cats were domesticated but at least dogs go back between 10,000- 50,000 years ago.

This is often overlooked & flat out ignored in debates about domestication of plants & animals.

Could it be because of some cultural taboos?

I wonder because some academics seem to elude to biological or very strong differences between humans who used domesticates & those that did not, almost as if the 2 were distinct species.

Cats & dogs are just so ubiquitous in human societies around the world almost like spears, bows & arrows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or