U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:32 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,690,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It is already banned. They added this provision only because the dog and cat lovers keep pushing it, dog and cat meat never had any market.
Did they stop slaughtering snakes and soft-shelled turtles in Taiwan? I found the way they used to do it on Snake Alley (Huaxi Night Market) bordering on animal cruelty. But then again, they're reptiles and maybe no one cares?

Anyway, not sure why there needs to be a ban on dogs and cats. While I've eaten many weird stuff, including snake meat in Taiwan, many years ago. I personally also will not eat dogs and cats. Also no turtles for me. Just do not have the desire to eat these. I ate rabbit meat in Canada though, while my Taiwanese friends with me cringe... Have also eaten deer, kangaroo, ostrich, sandworms, cicadas... OK, I have my own set of limits of what I will or will not eat, but I don't think making laws for these is necessary at all. Just shows lawmakers probably have nothing better to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:38 PM

6,830 posts, read 5,196,577 times
The snake alley still exists I think, but Idk if they are as popular as they were. I've never been there and I have no intention of going at all. That area is such a ****ing dump.

It's more justifiable to ban the consumption of dog and cat meat given that they are mostly companion animals, while kangaroo, ostrich, deer etc. aren't.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:51 AM

2,648 posts, read 4,108,134 times
I'm happy to hear this. Yes all animals should be treated as humanely as possible. Snakes, reptiles yes all. While we can get moralistic about what animals should and should not be consumed most people don't agree with wanton cruelty which still exists in a lot of countries. I've seen some pictures of that meat fair in China that I wish I could unsee. Someone put them up on Facebook and I found it extremely upsetting. As people have more access to technology and countries become more modern I hope these cruel practices will all be stopped.

I've never really liked meat much but stopped eating it completely about 6 years ago. We don't need meat to survive at all but people like it too much. Anyway good on Taiwan.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,650,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I'm happy to hear this. Yes all animals should be treated as humanely as possible. Snakes, reptiles yes all. While we can get moralistic about what animals should and should not be consumed most people don't agree with wanton cruelty which still exists in a lot of countries. I've seen some pictures of that meat fair in China that I wish I could unsee. Someone put them up on Facebook and I found it extremely upsetting. As people have more access to technology and countries become more modern I hope these cruel practices will all be stopped.
I fully agree but as long as meat is part of the human nutrition (and I absolutely like to eat meat), and animals are treated with respect and without cruelty, it does not really matter WHICH animals are eaten, does it? It is rather the standard of breeding (enough space per individual animal, quality food, leaving animals their natural habits etc.) and killing animals (with/without anesthesia) that matters.

The most cruel and useless thing is still eating shark-fin soups or rubbish like that. People used to cutt off the shark fins while sharks were alive, and they afterwards were unable to continue swimming and just sunk down to the ocean for a slow death.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post

I've never really liked meat much but stopped eating it completely about 6 years ago. We don't need meat to survive at all but people like it too much. Anyway good on Taiwan.
We need meat to have a better life. If you don't eat meat, that's your choice, but don't make it sound like it is a better choice.
I almost never have a meal without meat. It is indispensable.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I fully agree but as long as meat is part of the human nutrition (and I absolutely like to eat meat), and animals are treated with respect and without cruelty, it does not really matter WHICH animals are eaten, does it? It is rather the standard of breeding (enough space per individual animal, quality food, leaving animals their natural habits etc.) and killing animals (with/without anesthesia) that matters.

The most cruel and useless thing is still eating shark-fin soups or rubbish like that. People used to cutt off the shark fins while sharks were alive, and they afterwards were unable to continue swimming and just sunk down to the ocean for a slow death.
Agree, but what does it have anything to do with Taiwan banning cat meat?

Sorry to sound offensive but this entire thread is about banning consumption of a certain type of animal meat. It has absolutely nothing to do with animal cruelty - I think most of us agree it is bad.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,650,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Agree, but what does it have anything to do with Taiwan banning cat meat?

Sorry to sound offensive but this entire thread is about banning consumption of a certain type of animal meat. It has absolutely nothing to do with animal cruelty - I think most of us agree it is bad.
I was specifically referring to Bernie20.

In general, I do not see any difference between dog, cat, pork, beef, fish or any other meat in terms of ethics or whatever. There is just meat that I prefer eating (beef, pork) and those I do not like to eat, but maybe other people do like it. Banning certain kind of meats may only make sense for health concerns (e.g. contamination issues or general health issues regarding certain animals).

Old 05-08-2017, 08:48 PM

6,830 posts, read 5,196,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
We need meat to have a better life. If you don't eat meat, that's your choice, but don't make it sound like it is a better choice.
I almost never have a meal without meat. It is indispensable.
Plenty of the healthiest people are vegetarian so I don't know what you mean by we need meat to have a better life.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Plenty of the healthiest people are vegetarian so I don't know what you mean by we need meat to have a better life.
That's their choice. I (and billions of others) have ours.

A better life doesn't just mean a "healthier" life. It means a happier life. A more satisfying life. I don't want my life all about health and constantly obsessed with what "not to eat".

Plus, there is absolutely no evidence showing vegetarians are healthier, or live longer.

As I said, being vegetarian is a personal choice, but do not make it sound like it is a noble one, as if meat eaters do something wrong and are selfish. It is simply a personal preference and nothing more than that. Humans have been eating meat for milions of years and we don't feel sorry for that.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I was specifically referring to Bernie20.

In general, I do not see any difference between dog, cat, pork, beef, fish or any other meat in terms of ethics or whatever. There is just meat that I prefer eating (beef, pork) and those I do not like to eat, but maybe other people do like it. Banning certain kind of meats may only make sense for health concerns (e.g. contamination issues or general health issues regarding certain animals).
100% agree.

I argued many times that the fact Hindus considering cattle sacred didn't prevent Cwesterners from eating it, yet every time, nobody cares to respond, instead many constantly claim it is wrong to eat dogs and cats (imply because we westerners consider them as pets and family).

If westerners can't and won't give up steak because of someone else's religion, why should the rest of the world give up eating cats/dogs just because a bunch of western countries have the luxury to have them as pets?

So banning dog/cat meat has nothing to do with "progress". It is just something a country chooses to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or