U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,194,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post

so sad. poor doggies. only in a survival situation would i eat one
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM

5,250 posts, read 4,725,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
so sad. poor doggies. only in a survival situation would i eat one

Some countries & cultures eat bugs & other creepy crawlers, even snails & slugs.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:54 PM

22,580 posts, read 24,060,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
If you could read carefully, I said that dogs in particular help their owners often. There are countless tales of dogs (and some of cats) alerting families to fires and other dangers and of dogs sacrificing themselves for their humans. In addition to this are all of the service dogs who work on farms, ranches, rescue, military and police, and for the disabled.

You are being purposefully obtuse.

Cattle have in the past helped on farms. But, this is less so today and increasingly less so. But, even acknowledging such help, it must be admitted (if you can be honest) that the type of help differs and that there is not the same type of emotional bond between humans and cows that exists between humans and dogs (and cats).

Not really.

As I posted, the movement to eradicate eating dogs and cats in Taiwan was started and maintained by locals. You basically scream Westerners are bullies all the time. Its like your race card.
I'm not against a dog and cat ban at all, but will say that my grandparents grew up on farms and definitely had a strong emotional bond with their cattle who helped them move things and till the land and greatly respected their cattle as friends and helpers. They never came around to eating beef whatsoever despite the massive rise in beef consumption around them during their lifetimes, and even when their cattle were too old to work, they did not slaughter the cattle but let them rest out their last days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I do not really see a difference. Cows/Ox have been very useful for humans, too, for example in farming, pulling heavy equipment.

What do on the other hand cats are helping humans? I have never seen a cat doing anything useful actually. They can not even defend my home, nor are they used as rescue animals or drug animals. There is no way a cat would sacrify itself to save a human.

On the other hand, I am not sure if a pig would not be able to do so. It is intelligent enough, and it seems that just nobody tried to teach them some useful stuff. For example there are truffle pigs, searching for truffles in the earth. Also, in theory they can be used to detect drugs in cars or houses, they are just not as agile and vivid as a dog, that can quickly jump around a car to find the heroin in the trunk.

The difference people are making between pigs/cows and dogs/cats are pure cutural differences, not logical differences.
Cats like to eat vermin which human settlement created plenty of, so that sort of worked out.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:56 PM

12,909 posts, read 6,638,921 times
You know, I think its a slippery slope to judge people for eating a certain animal if you won't judge the consumption of all animals. One persons's cat is another person's chicken. Personally, I do draw the line at those animals which are known to have saved human behinds/lives, to include cats, dogs, dolphins, etc. But that's a personal choice.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:18 PM

22,580 posts, read 24,060,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You know, I think its a slippery slope to judge people for eating a certain animal if you won't judge the consumption of all animals. One persons's cat is another person's chicken. Personally, I do draw the line at those animals which are known to have saved human behinds/lives, to include cats, dogs, dolphins, etc. But that's a personal choice.
What slope are you sliding down? People can certainly judge other peopleís personal choices. Thatís pretty universal.

Old Today, 03:30 AM

4,776 posts, read 3,678,515 times
It’s not what you eat because in nature, animals kill each other to eat and survive. We need to eat too. But our humanity means that we can understand and empathize with the other, and so we need to answer our own humanity and be humane in the way we treat these animals which are destined to be our food. So as technology and science progress we should make it so the ways we grow and raise and then slaughter them are as quick, humane and involve the lease amount of fear and pain as possible. We are doing this not just for the sake of the butchered animals but also for our own humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or