Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:06 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
There is a difference between dogs and cats on the one hand and pigs and cows on the other.

Human beings and cats and dogs, but, particularly dogs, formed an important partnership tens of thousands of years ago.

I advocate humane care and treatment of all animals, and I have farmed both pigs and cattle that ultimately ended up on the table as meals.

Pigs are crazy intelligent. But, pigs do not generally help humans (except as ham and bacon) the way dogs and to a lesser extent cats do. When pigs start sacrificing themselves to save/rescue humans I might start looking at them as more than a future meal.
I do not really see a difference. Cows/Ox have been very useful for humans, too, for example in farming, pulling heavy equipment.

What do on the other hand cats are helping humans? I have never seen a cat doing anything useful actually. They can not even defend my home, nor are they used as rescue animals or drug animals. There is no way a cat would sacrify itself to save a human.

On the other hand, I am not sure if a pig would not be able to do so. It is intelligent enough, and it seems that just nobody tried to teach them some useful stuff. For example there are truffle pigs, searching for truffles in the earth. Also, in theory they can be used to detect drugs in cars or houses, they are just not as agile and vivid as a dog, that can quickly jump around a car to find the heroin in the trunk.

The difference people are making between pigs/cows and dogs/cats are pure cutural differences, not logical differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I do not really see a difference. Cows/Ox have been very useful for humans, too, for example in farming, pulling heavy equipment.
Yes. I've acknowledged that, already.

Quote:
What do on the other hand cats are helping humans? I have never seen a cat doing anything useful actually. They can not even defend my home, nor are they used as rescue animals or drug animals. There is no way a cat would sacrify itself to save a human.
Well, I have stated several times that I am speaking particularly of dogs.

But, cats too have been known to rescue their humans:

Cat saves boy from dog attack in California

Brave Family Cat Saves 5-Year-Old Boy From Bullies

Cat saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning

Cat saves family from fire by biting owner’s arm

Experience: my cat saved me from a fire

Family saved from devastating house fire by Simba the cat who woke them up

Hero Cat Saves Family From Fire

Hero cat rescues baby dumped in street by climbing in box to keep it warm in freezing conditions

Cat saves Houston-area woman from pit bull attack

Cat Tries To Save Owner From Attempted Theft

Google and you will find scores of similar stories.

Quote:
On the other hand, I am not sure if a pig would not be able to do so. It is intelligent enough, and it seems that just nobody tried to teach them some useful stuff. For example there are truffle pigs, searching for truffles in the earth. Also, in theory they can be used to detect drugs in cars or houses, they are just not as agile and vivid as a dog, that can quickly jump around a car to find the heroin in the trunk.
Pigs are very smart. And a quick Google will result in some stories of pet pigs saving their owners.

However, these incidents are far more rare than instances of dogs and even cats saving their people. You may be on to something, thinking that perhaps they just need to be taught. I don't know. I raised pigs and they never impressed me with caring for me like a dog or even a cat might.

Quote:
The difference people are making between pigs/cows and dogs/cats are pure cutural differences, not logical differences.
I think its more than pure cultural reasons. There is no denying that cats and dogs can and for thousands of years have bonded with humans. It may be possible for pigs to bond in a similar way. But, we do not have thousands of years of experience with pigs other than as a food source.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times
Quote:

Pigs are very smart. And a quick Google will result in some stories of pet pigs saving their owners.

However, these incidents are far more rare than instances of dogs and even cats saving their people. You may be on to something, thinking that perhaps they just need to be taught. I don't know. I raised pigs and they never impressed me with caring for me like a dog or even a cat might.

I think its more than pure cultural reasons. There is no denying that cats and dogs can and for thousands of years have bonded with humans. It may be possible for pigs to bond in a similar way. But, we do not have thousands of years of experience with pigs other than as a food source.
Of course instances of dogs and cats saving people are more common than similar stories about pigs, who the hell has a wild pig running around the neighborhood, that could defend playing children from dogs?

That is basically what I mean with culture. Many cultures have a common history with cats and dogs, others may not have. For some cultures, cows are holy, for others some other animals may be. It is just how we learned it.

However, I think the main reason that people are not eating dogs and cats in bigger numbers worldwide is that they just don't taste that good and there are better alternatives to raise animals that are relatively peaceful and consume relatively cheap food (crops). As for many predators, cat or dog meat is not very delicious and they consume meat as their main food source. If we anyways had that much meat, we don't need to raise them for meat production, unless they are much more delicious than any other kind of meat.

What I hate to see is people slaughtering wild animal for no reasons, such as sharks, turtles, dolphins... but if they are raised for meat production I do not care if its a dog or a pig.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:11 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Quote:
Of course instances of dogs and cats saving people are more common than similar stories about pigs, who the hell has a wild pig running around the neighborhood, that could defend playing children from dogs?
The Chinese have been raising pigs for a looooong time.

The character 家 (jia) first appeared over 3,000 years ago on Shang Dynasty (c.16th century-11th century BC) bronzes. At that time, it was just a drawing that depicted a house with a pig inside it.

And yet, the Chinese and pigs, despite commonly living in such close proximity for such a long time, never developed the bond that other humans and dogs developed.

Quote:
What I hate to see is people slaughtering wild animal for no reasons, such as sharks, turtles, dolphins...
Agree.

Quote:
...but if they are raised for meat production I do not care if its a dog or a pig.
Disagree.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
What makes cats & dogs more important that other animals though? I get that people are up in arms b/c people have dogs & cats as pets and in other countries, people eat them... but in other parts of the world, people have cows, pigs, all kinds of other animals as pets... so why is it ok for us to eat those animals but the Asians can't eat ours?

Americans have guinea pigs as pets but Peruvians eat them? So guinea pig is ok to eat but cat & dog are not?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:35 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
The first...after Hong Kong?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:

That is basically what I mean with culture. Many cultures have a common history with cats and dogs, others may not have. For some cultures, cows are holy, for others some other animals may be. It is just how we learned it.

However, I think the main reason that people are not eating dogs and cats in bigger numbers worldwide is that they just don't taste that good and there are better alternatives to raise animals that are relatively peaceful and consume relatively cheap food (crops). As for many predators, cat or dog meat is not very delicious and they consume meat as their main food source. If we anyways had that much meat, we don't need to raise them for meat production, unless they are much more delicious than any other kind of meat.

What I hate to see is people slaughtering wild animal for no reasons, such as sharks, turtles, dolphins... but if they are raised for meat production I do not care if its a dog or a pig.
yep.

Humans do not really eat that many dogs because they don't provide enough protein. Cats probably taste horrible.

People have the right to be against eating any sort of animial, but don't make it a morality thing. It is cultural.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:

Don't think there is a reason: humans rarely train a pig to do anything. Even the smartest dogs need to be trained.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
No thoughts about how cultural bias could lead to neglect over exploring the theory that animal domestication actually started with eating dogs & cats which may be why they are so ubiquitous in so many societies, even those that have now frown on such practices?

Last edited by kovert; 08-20-2019 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-21-2019, 12:06 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,042,944 times
More food for thought (no pun intended).

Quote:
Would you eat rabbit? Even those who regularly consume meat from chickens, sheep and pigs will often balk at the thought of eating a cuddly little bunny rabbit. But what’s the difference? Why do we see some animals as furry friends and others as fair game to chop up and eat?

Yes, dogs are smart and friendly – but so are pigs. Researchers from Cambridge University found pigs are as smart as three-year-old humans. They can play computer games and recognise people they met several years ago. They develop trust and empathy like we, and dogs, do. Few people relish the thought of any animals being slaughtered so it’s normal for those who eat meat to try to justify it. Just as westerners get angry about people in Asia eating dogs and cats, many Indians get outraged by westerners eating cows. People shake their heads in disbelief at guinea pigs and alpacas being served up in South America.

The Guardian: Offended by Koreans eating dog? I trust you’ve never had a bacon butty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia