U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:19 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
That's true as far as cleanliness of trash, but when cost of labor is compared it makes sense why. Chinese cities can employ 10+ street cleaners for every one in say NYC. Chinese cities also have their volunteer armies which is a great idea as well. I wish that could catch on in developed countries.
yea, there is always a catch when China does anything good. Being cleaner - because labour is so cheap; to be able to build 10 subways in 5 years - because lack of democracy.

Maybe westerners should ask for less for doing something as low skilled as sweeping the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 03:13 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,395,520 times
I think this has started to change in recent years, but I remember people in India having no qualms littering when I visited 15 years ago. You'd see garbage everywhere in some areas. I also remember seeing street/slum kids and the occasional adult urinating/defecating in public as well. This also might have improved for the better since supposedly there are more public toilets available now. Then you have the issue of animals running around everywhere. Those three things along with the corruption, bureaucratic ineptitude, and the wretched state of public education are things that make me face palm the most about the country that I was born in. I've never been to China, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't have as much litter or animals running about as India.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:46 AM

1,011 posts, read 627,358 times
maybe you should question why it costs so much to hire a clean in any of these global cities.
I heard some subway employees in NYC can make 200k dollars in overtime. and those poor subway riders who spend 3 dollars each ride have to put up with delays, filthy trains, ect. What a corrupt system.

Quote:
That's true as far as cleanliness of trash, but when cost of labor is compared it makes sense why. Chinese cities can employ 10+ street cleaners for every one in say NYC. Chinese cities also have their volunteer armies which is a great idea as well. I wish that could catch on in developed countries.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I think this has started to change in recent years, but I remember people in India having no qualms littering when I visited 15 years ago. You'd see garbage everywhere in some areas. I also remember seeing street/slum kids and the occasional adult urinating/defecating in public as well. This also might have improved for the better since supposedly there are more public toilets available now. Then you have the issue of animals running around everywhere. Those three things along with the corruption, bureaucratic ineptitude, and the wretched state of public education are things that make me face palm the most about the country that I was born in. I've never been to China, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't have as much litter or animals running about as India.
not just animals. Monkeys, elephants, even peacocks!

Old 05-03-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
maybe you should question why it costs so much to hire a clean in any of these global cities.
I heard some subway employees in NYC can make 200k dollars in overtime. and those poor subway riders who spend 3 dollars each ride have to put up with delays, filthy trains, ect. What a corrupt system.
Toronto for example is planning to build a new subway line, located in the most sparsely populated area of the city, with ONE SINGE stop, for a price tag of $3.5 billion.

I am sure those union workers and bosses are well paid. Yet taxpayers have to pay so much for so little nonsense.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:29 PM

basically, the quality of those developed cities is a joke. Somehow, people there are making negative comments about chinese cities.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
Quote:
basically, the quality of those developed cities is a joke. Somehow, people there are making negative comments about chinese cities.
It's hard to take your comments seriously when you say things like "...quality of those developed cities is a joke..."

You are bashing "developed cities" while complaining about other people doing the same to Chinese cities, stop and think about that for a moment.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to speculate on rumours about wages. But, calling NYC corrupt because of that is ridiculous. I did find the average snow removal employee makes about $15.20 an hour in NYC as of 2015, which comes to $44,700. Not a lot for NYC.

I looked it up and Chinese street cleaners make about $150/month, $2,200/year as of 2015. That seems more corrupt to me, how is anyone supposed to live on that somewhere like Shanghai?

Old 05-03-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
yea, there is always a catch when China does anything good. Being cleaner - because labour is so cheap; to be able to build 10 subways in 5 years - because lack of democracy.

Maybe westerners should ask for less for doing something as low skilled as sweeping the street.
Yeah. I agree. But China should take advantage of the low labor costs and build as much as possible now, which it seems like they are doing. Eventually those labor costs will raise and it's good to have a well developed infrastructure before it gets ridiculously expensive. Just like your Toronto example.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM

i am fine with a cleaner making 44k a year. but a lot of cleaners in NYC subways can make more than 100k a year. No wonder NYC subway is the most expensive and still the worst. Do you know that NYc spent more than 50 billion to build 2 miles of subway? for that money, China can build 100 miles.
How can NYC compete in the future when infrastructure costs so much?

Quote:
I'm not going to speculate on rumours about wages. But, calling NYC corrupt because of that is ridiculous. I did find the average snow removal employee makes about $15.20 an hour in NYC as of 2015, which comes to $44,700. Not a lot for NYC.

I looked it up and Chinese street cleaners make about $150/month, $2,200/year as of 2015. That seems more corrupt to me, how is anyone supposed to live on that somewhere like Shanghai?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or