U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 PM

5,098 posts, read 2,743,062 times

Advertisements

Epcot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 01:44 AM

1,563 posts, read 821,836 times
"Futuristic" seems to be a title that Tokyo held in the 80s-2000s. Other cities have caught up with video screens on buildings, automated bathrooms, etc.
And consumer electronics in 2017 boils down to extremely specialized equipment, TV/stereo, home electronics like kitchen/laundry/etc, video games, and phones/tablets. The days of crazy proprietary electronics you can only buy in Asia died off with the advent of Apple/Android.

I just think the best standard of living in Asia is more modernized and accessible to at least the middle classes than many Western cities.
Japan, Korea, China/Hong Kong, Singapore, etc have sights and buildings that "old world" Europe and the 19-20th century relics of the USA could only wish for.

In short, Asia isn't really futuristic anymore to me, just "modern."

Old 07-12-2017, 03:30 PM

361 posts, read 227,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've lived in both countries for many years, Seoul and Osaka.

Seoul doesn't feel futuristic at all. It's a very 'lived-in' kind of place....I can't recall anywhere in Seoul that feels futuristic.

Of the two, Tokyo feels more futuristic. Mostly because more technology like outdoor escalators, little gadgets in the bathroom, stuff like that.
Well, then you must have lived in Seoul quite a while back. Because Seoul has really developed a lot over the years. I used to go to Seoul every summer when I was a kid, with my mother, because we had relatives living in Seoul and other parts of Korea.

A lot of the old apartments are being torn down and being re-built.

The subway transportation system of Seoul is excellent, IMHO.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:42 PM

955 posts, read 1,544,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Well, then you must have lived in Seoul quite a while back. Because Seoul has really developed a lot over the years. I used to go to Seoul every summer when I was a kid, with my mother, because we had relatives living in Seoul and other parts of Korea.

A lot of the old apartments are being torn down and being re-built.

The subway transportation system of Seoul is excellent, IMHO.
Even better than Tokyo's? I am not a huge fan of the "full" screen doors on the platform edge. Due to a lack of enough space, there's almost no way to escape once you get stuck. The doors often malfunction when accidents happen.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,638,226 times
I visited Seoul last week for the first time. There were a few areas that struck me as looking futuristic. The area around Seoul Station, for example, featured those huge video screens and projections onto the faces of buildings that seem to figure in any movie set in a major city in the future. But overall, Seoul didn't seem appreciably futuristic to me. What struck me about it is how well-designed it is from a transportation perspective. The main streets are wide, well marked, and well maintained. The signage is excellent, better than the United States, and the fact that most of it is in English (as well as Korean) was a definite bonus for me. The subway system is not in the least bit futuristic looking, but it was spotlessly clean (as was the city as a whole) and easy to use; it did its job and it did it well.

Seoul may not seem all that futuristic, not to me at least; but it struck me as being very livable.

I've never been to Tokyo so I can't comment on that.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,638,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Even better than Tokyo's? I am not a huge fan of the "full" screen doors on the platform edge. Due to a lack of enough space, there's almost no way to escape once you get stuck. The doors often malfunction when accidents happen.
Those platform screens have their pros and cons. On the plus side, they ensure that people can't fall or jump or get pushed from the platform onto the tracks. And they make it easier to provide climate-control to the station, since you don't need to heat or cool the entire tunnel as well as the station itself. (Not that it mattered much in Seoul; the stations had air conditioning, but it was turned to the lowest setting and it was still pretty toasty in there.) On the downside, though, I could easily see how someone could get trapped in-between the platform doors and the train doors. Unlike an elevator, there is a definite gap between the two sets of doors. And in most subway systems, the train operator looks back after closing the doors to make sure no one is stuck in them before departing the station; I have no idea how they do that with the platform screens.

I'd be curious to know what the rate of accidents is, between screened and non-screened platforms.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:33 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I visited Seoul last week for the first time. There were a few areas that struck me as looking futuristic. The area around Seoul Station, for example, featured those huge video screens and projections onto the faces of buildings that seem to figure in any movie set in a major city in the future. But overall, Seoul didn't seem appreciably futuristic to me. What struck me about it is how well-designed it is from a transportation perspective. The main streets are wide, well marked, and well maintained. The signage is excellent, better than the United States, and the fact that most of it is in English (as well as Korean) was a definite bonus for me. The subway system is not in the least bit futuristic looking, but it was spotlessly clean (as was the city as a whole) and easy to use; it did its job and it did it well.

Seoul may not seem all that futuristic, not to me at least; but it struck me as being very livable.

I've never been to Tokyo so I can't comment on that.
I was just in Seoul 2 weeks ago. There was a robot at ICN that read my boardingpass and took me to my gate. When entering my friends house, they used a palm reader and no keys. She also started her dishwasher with an app on her phone when we were out and about. We took the high speed train which only a handful of countries have. My cell phone and internet service was lightning fast since they boast the fastest speeds on the world. I was told by a friend the buses are now recharging through a system that is under the ground and I remember the virtual kiosks at the bus stations. Seoul isn't in your face hitech but technology is definitely very ingrained into everyday life from my experience which makes living there seem futuristic compared to here (USA).

Old 07-24-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Beats me, I have never been to Tokyo.

However, Korea's subway system is definitely better than the crappy subway/transportation system here in the Seattle area, and the Los Angeles area.

Korea's subway is also MORE SAFE than me being mugged or assaulted on a subway in NYC or the BART in the Bay Area.

The glass barrier at most of Korea's subway station is to prevent people from falling onto the tracks, or suicidal people from jumping in front of an approaching train.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Those platform screens have their pros and cons. On the plus side, they ensure that people can't fall or jump or get pushed from the platform onto the tracks. And they make it easier to provide climate-control to .....
The platform screens are also placed there to prevent suicidal people from jumping in front of an approaching train.

Due to a stressful lifestyle in Korea's workplace environment where people are trying to out-game each other, many businessmen who fail in life tend to be suicidal and jump in front of approaching subway trains to end their life.

Kind of like what suicidal Japanese businessmen do in Japan's train station.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:16 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,630,790 times
Both Seoul and Tokyo have excellent public transport and its hard to say which one is better, however I found the transport in Tokyo to be more crowded and more difficult to navigate, because there were so many different train operators and lines. In both cities, the transport is clean and reliable, few strange people compared to European cities.

In Seoul it also sometimes takes long times to get where you want, for example from Gangnam to Insadong there is no direct line but a circle line that takes like 45 minutes whatever direction you chose. They were building a new line but I am not sure how far they got.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or