U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM

949 posts, read 611,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Perkins View Post
Hi everyone,
I and my husband will have a 3 week trip to South East Asia this July, get started from Vietnam to Cambodia, Laos, Thailand if have enough time. Mostly we travel by public transportation and some time we can rent private car if possible. Have anyone had experience with transportation in SEA, how to book tickets or rent cars? Which reliable agents you use? And is my driving license applicable there?

Thank you in advance!
When I travel, I prefer to spend more time in one country and explore it more in-depth, than race through multiple countries within a short period of time. I feel I get a richer, deeper experience.

For example, Vietnam is a long country, north to south. As with similarly large countries, there are noticeable (as well as more nuanced) differences between the three major regions: North (centered around Hanoi), Central (centered around Hue), and South (Saigon). You also have differences between the interior highlands and the coastal regions.

In addition to the obvious geographical differences in Vietnam, there are also differences in each major region's history, food, accents, and local culture.

So if you want to thoroughly experience all of this, versus just a few highlights, I'd recommend at least 2 weeks for Vietnam, and maybe a week for Thailand. Btw, you can visit easily visit Angor Wat from HCMC via various local tour companies.

As for transportation, for long distances I would either fly or use rail. Driving is not recommended.

Last edited by mingna; 05-26-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 06:15 AM

949 posts, read 611,943 times
If you want to optimize your time in Vietnam, I'd suggest booking a private, customized tour. Once you arrive in either Hanoi or HCMC, they will include flights to each of the major cities (as well as Danang, Nha Trang, etc), a driver, guide and local transportation throughout the region. This will enable you to explore the major cities, make day trips to the surrounding areas, as well as overnight trips to areas like Sapa or Ha Long Bay.

The price will be higher for just two persons, but this will allow you the independence to see more of the country in a short period of time, minus the stress of arranging everything independently, especially if you do not speak the local language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia