U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 962 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I and my husband will have a 3 week trip to South East Asia this July, get started from Vietnam to Cambodia, Laos, Thailand if have enough time. Mostly we travel by public transportation and some time we can rent private car if possible. Have anyone had experience with transportation in SEA, how to book tickets or rent cars? Which reliable agents you use? And is my driving license applicable there?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 09:49 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
I would do 2 countries max. in 3 weeks, you don't want to rush on holiday.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 7,482,370 times
If staying in a city like Bangkok, Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh - I would get a driver if doing a lot of driving in busy areas. If countryside I would be a little bit more comfortable with a rental. I haven't been to Laos or Cambodia - so I can't opine there.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,367,422 times
A year ago, my wife and I travelled to Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam. For Vietnam, we booked tickets in advance on Vietnam Railways here. We took a short daytime trip from Da Nang to Hue. The train was okay. - the scenery was incredible. They have sleepers for longer trips.

I took trains in Thailand a long time ago and they were very nice. Bangkok does have a sky train now but we didn't take it. The taxis were fine.

In Cambodia we just took tuk-tuks around Siem Riep and rented bicylces.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:21 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
A year ago, my wife and I travelled to Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, and Vietnam. For Vietnam, we booked tickets in advance on Vietnam Railways here. We took a short daytime trip from Da Nang to Hue. The train was okay. - the scenery was incredible. They have sleepers for longer trips.

I took trains in Thailand a long time ago and they were very nice. Bangkok does have a sky train now but we didn't take it. The taxis were fine.

In Cambodia we just took tuk-tuks around Siem Riep and rented bicylces.
Hi I did the VNR sleeper train - violette train - from Sapa to Hanoi. Very cool and the beds were pretty comfy. One point of advice: the lady who comes around in the Am with tea & coffee, the tea and coffee is not complimentary. We thought it was complimentary but then she came around later on asking for VND. My boyfriend said the coffee was not very good. They do give you a free bottle of water and a kitkat.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 1,187,082 times
I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I'm going to BKK this week...paid 14 USD total on AirAsia | Book flights online to over 120 destinations! the Train is slow, not cheap, and often late. Enjoy the scenery in the pitch black night. But, you can lay down...for a fourteen hour trip that takes 70 minutes by air. The Green bus is excellent and safe, if you can't book a good airfare. A personal car is about the seventh best way to get around Bangkok. MRT and BTS are excellent and I have even just got on an old city bus for twenty cents and toured around for a while. Up here, people always say rent a scooter, which in reality could be life changing, if not ending. Your insurance will not cover you if you don't have a Thai motorcycle license. Driving is absolutely horrendous. I agree with limiting your travel..the trip around the World is tiring enough...you won't see everything, anyways..pick a handful of places and enjoy. Touristy things can be pretty obnoxious and a bad way to get to know the real scene. Stuff with animals is usually totally idiotic.....get your picture taken with a tranquilized tiger...or some elephants that belong in the wild? Or even worse, visiting the Hilltribe people, who are paid to live without electricity so vanfulls of tourists can come take pictures of them? Borders on human trafiking.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I'm going to BKK this week...paid 14 USD total on AirAsia | Book flights online to over 120 destinations! the Train is slow, not cheap, and often late. Enjoy the scenery in the pitch black night. But, you can lay down...for a fourteen hour trip that takes 70 minutes by air. The Green bus is excellent and safe, if you can't book a good airfare. A personal car is about the seventh best way to get around Bangkok. MRT and BTS are excellent and I have even just got on an old city bus for twenty cents and toured around for a while. Up here, people always say rent a scooter, which in reality could be life changing, if not ending. Your insurance will not cover you if you don't have a Thai motorcycle license. Driving is absolutely horrendous. I agree with limiting your travel..the trip around the World is tiring enough...you won't see everything, anyways..pick a handful of places and enjoy. Touristy things can be pretty obnoxious and a bad way to get to know the real scene. Stuff with animals is usually totally idiotic.....get your picture taken with a tranquilized tiger...or some elephants that belong in the wild? Or even worse, visiting the Hilltribe people, who are paid to live without electricity so vanfulls of tourists can come take pictures of them? Borders on human trafiking.
I did this in Vietnam and it is nothing like how you described. In fact, it was the highlight of our trip.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 PM

Google "Orphanage Tourism,". kind of similar. They say less than half the kids in the orphanages in Cambodia are even orphans...but, there is just too much of a demand by the van operators to bring westerners to the orphanages. They get some good freebies out if it though....people paying to volunteer in elephant camps..another favorite. I have been living here full time three and a half years, and coming here for 19 years...gave my Lonely Planet guide to a used bookstore owner just about 19 years ago. The kind of stuff tourists do is mind boggling. About one British tourist dies every day here, mostly on motorbikes..almost as bad for Australians. People stay at expensive resorts in the North and fall in love with Thai hospitality...too bad they don't quite understand that the people doing almost all the work are Burmese...making about 200 per month.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:05 PM

1,800 posts, read 804,562 times
I traveled a bit in Thailand a few years ago.

The taxi drivers were always trying to rip me off. Make sure they turn on the meter.

To make life easier, I rented a car to get around. My license was perfectly good. The cost is comparable with major U.S cities, or slightly higher.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:08 PM

Your US license is acceptable to the rental car agencies, but not the police...and any kind of insurance company may use that as grounds for a claim denial as has been happening g with those crashing motorcycles. There is always www.gofundme.com for those not doing their diligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia