Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times

Advertisements

And Matt makes a valid point that in you are even legal at your school, that doesn't make working as a tutor legal. Immigration also did a still g operation a few years ago...all who applied were detained. Like what I have said in Thailand...I may be willing to work in a good environment for less money. I am not willing to jump through bureaucratic hoops like a circus animal. And I think in both Chin and Thailand, the schools never get in trouble for using illegals....guess who does get in trouble? Go get a fake degree so you can work for us....we will even tell you where to get it. How about six months in prison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:41 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,344 times
Ruth4Truth.........There are plenty of parents willing to pay 200 to 300 RMB per hour in mid to large size cities in China. Maybe you taught or tutored in small towns "for the experience" but there are hundreds of teachers tutoring on the side, and its perfectly legal.

Hal Roach......If you don't know something about a subject, its best to not make comments and scare a young man who's trying to get info for a possible job in China. Nobody is rounding up foreigners and putting them in jail here in China. There are examples of illegal schools, or schools that don't offer their foreign teachers work visas and residence permits (you need both, but apply for them at the same time) but most educational institutions are legit.

Geez....Yeah, the police in China are going to come knock at your door because your tutoring kids on the side...HAHA. Some amazing comments from people on this topic.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:31 PM

It is a big country, you obviously don't know the whole story. Are you saying it is OK to go on a tourist visa? Would you like to see the link about the Canadians going to prison for the fake degrees, or the deportations of illegal teachers from China?

Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
It is a big country, you obviously don't know the whole story. Are you saying it is OK to go on a tourist visa? Would you like to see the link about the Canadians going to prison for the fake degrees, or the deportations of illegal teachers from China?
I don't think he is talking about or recommending working on a tourist visa. I think he was talking about tutoring on the side. The government isn't likely to care about tutoring on the side, but I honestly don't know if it is legal or not. It probably depends if one is tutoring at one of those English teaching/tutoring schools vs doing it for friends/colleagues/etc.

My wife's school, SIAS University in Henan did have a police raid on the foreign teachers while she was there. They deported over a dozen teachers for various reasons like wrong visa and evangelizing during class. That was about 8 years ago and they have gotten more strict since then.

EDIT: I'm not trying to scare you out of teaching in China, it can be very rewarding and I personally love China. Just use common sense and know there are some things the Chinese government really doesn't like. Stay away from politics and religion while teaching, get the right visa, and you should be fine.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 PM

Of course, from when this post started, I said he needs to make sure the school he works for applies for a work permit for him. Hal go back and read.

I'm saying nobody, esp the local government in China cares if your tutoring on the side.

If your working in China and don't have a work visa, of course things can go bad and you should be deported or face certain consequences. Loser English teachers who don't have a degree or aren't qualified to be teachers are the ones who get deported, mostly because they overstay their visa. The original poster is a recent university graduate and considering taking a job in China teaching. Don't lump him into the unqualified minority of foreigners in China that get deported each year.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Of course, from when this post started, I said he needs to make sure the school he works for applies for a work permit for him. Hal go back and read.

I'm saying nobody, esp the local government in China cares if your tutoring on the side.

If your working in China and don't have a work visa, of course things can go bad and you should be deported or face certain consequences. Loser English teachers who don't have a degree or aren't qualified to be teachers are the ones who get deported, mostly because they overstay their visa. The original poster is a recent university graduate and considering taking a job in China teaching. Don't lump him into the unqualified minority of foreigners in China that get deported each year.
I hoped you looked behind yourself, Jake, you sure did back pedal fast.

China Foreign Teacher News, Updates, & Scam Alerts: Almost 3,000 foreign employees arrested and deported from China in 2016 - Almost 90% were foreign English TEFL & ESL teachers who accepted illegal jobs from blacklisted agents.

Sting operations, bounties, fines, and jail. 90% of foreign workers arrested were English teachers. Their quota is 5000 arrests for 2017. Mostly in Shanghai and Beijing.

But, yes, if you don't go unless you have a Z Visa in your hand, there is a good chance things will be a lot better than working in US schools. I live a thirty minute walk to the Chinese Consulate, and a 75 minute flight to Kunming. Guess how many foreigners have obtained work visas there?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I hoped you looked behind yourself, Jake, you sure did back pedal fast.
Hal, I've been following this thread from the beginning and the appearance isn't that Jake backpedaled, but rather that you jumped into the middle of the thread and didnt have any idea what the original context was.

That said, I think your back and forth is somewhat helpful to others who may be reading.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:26 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyLost View Post
I would definitely say this is more of an experience booster. I recently just graduated and felt like this would be a good opportunity to gain work experience. Good jobs are uber competitive or scarce in the U.S. so I considered this as an option.
Good that you're doing your homework, but I definitely hope you go for it. Sounds like you are a good fit. I wish I'd done what you're doing when I graduated a decade ago.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:56 PM

Agreed. It should be a great experience EternallyLost. I did it 16 years ago taking a summer teaching job in China and it changed my life. You really get a feel for the world and how different people and places can be outside your home country. Lots can happen and you never know what doors will open up for you, or whom you will meet when your young and living in Asia. Best of luck and if you ever need any help or have questions about living in China, shoot me a private message and I'll give you your contact info. Best of Luck dude! Go for it.....

Old 05-26-2017, 12:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Chengdu has a lot of expats now. Some of them speak fluent Sichuan dialect and you can see them in some TV shows.
(The different between Sichuan dialect and standard Mandarin is like American English vs Jamaican English)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia