U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:07 PM

5 posts, read 3,981 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I hope some of you may be able to answer my questions in regards to a potential job offer in Chengdu. Recently I was awarded a contract for a job in education, but I'm not quite sure whether the terms are fair or not. For example, it says that they will pay me 15k rmb per month, a 2k rmb run housing stipend, full medical insurance, a 4k rmb travelling allowance, a 4k rmb bonus at the end of the contract year and finally a 2k rmb allowance for a resident permit and visa fees. So, overall, I'm assuming the monthly wages is 17k rmb. Is this suitable for living in Chengdu? I know people rail about how expensive Beijing and Shanghai is, but what about Chengdu? What are monthly prices like for an apartment? What about food?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 PM

653 posts, read 581,409 times
Does it say how many hours per week you will be working in your contract? If its 30 hours per week or less, then sure 15k rmb per month is good, plus the 2k RMB in housing. Downtown Chengdu in good areas are going to cost you 5k RMB for a apartment in a new building. If you can find cheaper, great, but I would budget total 8k RMB per month in total living expenses. With 8K RMB you wouldn't be able to live big time with eating only imported groceries, but you wouldn't also need to live completely like a local Chinese (Very frugal and only Chinese groceries).

What about 1 flight home per month during Chinese New Years? That should be in the contract. Also, in the contract should be stated the school/institution should provide a China residence permit. This is important!

Everything is negotiated in China, and I would ask them for a bilingual Chinese/English employment contract and maybe ask a friend or hire a company to translate the Chinese on the contract as you would never know how they themselves translate the Chinese into English (unless you yourself can read Chinese).

One tip, make sure the state how many hours of teaching per week. If you want to make side money by tutoring, your going to need some time to do so on the week or weekends. Teachers in China can make anywhere from 20 to 50 USD per hour in tutoring, which IMO is good money.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:56 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I believe the contract, which thankfully is translated into both languages, says that they will reimburse me for the fees in regards to the visa and resident permit. It also states that they are responsible for securing all of the necessary documents for me.

And from what I read it is 40 hours per week. Does this change the whole calculus?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 PM

40 hours per week is ok but it seems like a lot. I think the best thing to think about is why are you considering a position in China. If your young, and in it for the experience, then salary shouldn't be the most important issue. But if your middle age or older, then salary and being able to save enough money each month might be more important.

I don't think its a bad deal, just limits you on flexibility for making extra money on the side.

If your really into taking a teaching positon in Asia, take this job for one year and see how you like it. Lots of teaching jobs in China and Asia overall. I know plenty of Americans/Canadians teaching here in China and after a while they get adjusted and their second or third jobs they negotiate better deals.

Even on 17k RMB per month, that's pretty good. You'll save at least 1k USD per month.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 PM

I would definitely say this is more of an experience booster. I recently just graduated and felt like this would be a good opportunity to gain work experience. Good jobs are uber competitive or scarce in the U.S. so I considered this as an option.

I also asked an individual in the company about salary mobility too. When I get a response I'll let you know as it seems you know quite a bit about this stuff. I know some companies offer a substantially higher salary after the first year and if they do as well I think it could be a good deal.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 PM

Yeah, going into my senior year at university (2000) I taught English in China for a summer and it was awesome. I don't live in Sichuan (Chengdu) but I know the city along with Chongqing is really built up so it should be a good experience.

I'm 38 now and have been in business now for over 15 years in China with a U.S. company, but when I was 20 living and working in China, it was a lot of fun. I think you'll really enjoy yourself.

There's lots of opportunities in China for young American's these days, and I totally understand the challenges recent college graduates face now in the U.S.

Message me if you have any specific questions, or if you want my contact info in China, just in case. I'm originally from New Jersey, and live now in Guangzhou. I taught English in Qingdao, and spend about 10 years managing a couple different companies in Shanghai.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyLost View Post
Hello,

I hope some of you may be able to answer my questions in regards to a potential job offer in Chengdu. Recently I was awarded a contract for a job in education, but I'm not quite sure whether the terms are fair or not. For example, it says that they will pay me 15k rmb per month, a 2k rmb run housing stipend, full medical insurance, a 4k rmb travelling allowance, a 4k rmb bonus at the end of the contract year and finally a 2k rmb allowance for a resident permit and visa fees. So, overall, I'm assuming the monthly wages is 17k rmb. Is this suitable for living in Chengdu? I know people rail about how expensive Beijing and Shanghai is, but what about Chengdu? What are monthly prices like for an apartment? What about food?

Thanks in advance.
Chengdu is a low cost city in China, yet it is very urban and vibrant. 17k per month is more than enough to offer a comfortable life, not extravagant, but good enough.

Most Chinese would agree Chengdu is one of the best cities to live in China (although pollution is also a problem due to the location).

Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Yeah, going into my senior year at university (2000) I taught English in China for a summer and it was awesome. I don't live in Sichuan (Chengdu) but I know the city along with Chongqing is really built up so it should be a good experience.

I'm 38 now and have been in business now for over 15 years in China with a U.S. company, but when I was 20 living and working in China, it was a lot of fun. I think you'll really enjoy yourself.

There's lots of opportunities in China for young American's these days, and I totally understand the challenges recent college graduates face now in the U.S.

Message me if you have any specific questions, or if you want my contact info in China, just in case. I'm originally from New Jersey, and live now in Guangzhou. I taught English in Qingdao, and spend about 10 years managing a couple different companies in Shanghai.
Thank you very much! I'll be sure to remember this.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Chengdu is a low cost city in China, yet it is very urban and vibrant. 17k per month is more than enough to offer a comfortable life, not extravagant, but good enough.

Most Chinese would agree Chengdu is one of the best cities to live in China (although pollution is also a problem due to the location).
That's reassuring. As long as I'm able to live comfortably and not struggle I'm fine. I'm pretty responsible with money too and consider myself a bigger saver than spender.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 PM

You will not struggle at all. Just make sure you get your residence permit and work permit with the help of the school/institution and you'll be fine. You have a lot of fun being young and exploring Chengdu, Sichuan and the rest of China. Its a beautiful country and is much more interesting and happening then the U.S. these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or