U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:36 PM

8,032 posts, read 7,302,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKBN18K08M

I thought Duterte could make peace with the Muslim rebels.
Maute group is part of Abu Sayyaf. Duterte was in talks with MILF and MNLF. He's trying to isolate Abu Sayyaf and even calling for help from other rebels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 AM

And they are probably going to bring in Russian trainers on counterterrorism.

Philippines, Russia sign defence co-operation agreemen

Old 06-15-2017, 10:09 AM

Not longer after Duterte claimed the US would attempt a coup, the US has boots on the ground at the invitation of the Philippines military and there are conflicting reports whether Duterte is in poor health and out of the public's eye for the last four days.

link

Old 06-16-2017, 11:14 PM

351 posts, read 550,712 times
For anybody in the Philippines or with good information about there, has this affected travel to or tourism in the Philippines?

Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 AM

6,584 posts, read 3,638,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
For anybody in the Philippines or with good information about there, has this affected travel to or tourism in the Philippines?
Some folks will fear going to any of the 7000 islands but the autonomous Muslim areas and most areas in the southern chain never drew tourist anyway because of lower level violence like kidnapping for ransom. This is generally a cheaper season after the locals finished their Holy Week vacations and traveling but I don't know if any analysis of this year versus past years has been done.

I bet despite its relative safety President Duterte's base in Davao City is seeing the biggest decrease in tourism

Old 06-17-2017, 11:46 AM

4,867 posts, read 3,383,810 times
Mindanao has been sketchy for years with both crime and Islamic inspired terrorism. Tourism hasn't really been impacted much from what I know on other islands. Dumaguete on Negros for instance has a large tourist base and a permanent population of expats who have retired and have no plans to move.

There is a also a large expat population on Luzon in the Angeles City area and in Makati. So many older Americans live in the area that there is a Social Security office in a mall in the Manila area. I also have friends who live in Bohol and Panay and they report no problems and no plans to go anywhere.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:09 PM

2,808 posts, read 2,438,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
My wife and I go to the Philippines every year, this year we were in Cebu from Feb to May and this was the first year there was an attack in Bohol and warnings about extremists outside of Mindanao including Central Visayas which includes Cebu and Bohol, as well as other warnings about Palawan.
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Travel Advisory for Central Visayas

My opinion is that if the Philippine government does not get their terrorist issues under control soon then traveling to the Philippines might be risky and especially to those who do not know their way around, although for now I will continue to travel there yearly.

We are living in a new world, we should not let the terrorists win by us hiding in fear but at the same time each of us has to decide for ourselves what possible dangers we are willing to take while traveling.

I did not see any reduction in tourists this past trip but what will be for the future only time will tell. I did have one friend cancel his trip, so I guess others may have as well but it was not noticeable at all in the malls of Cebu.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:50 PM

6,584 posts, read 3,638,317 times
While I am sure both the Jihadist and communist rebels have Manila, Cebu, and the popular resorts on their target wish list there have been more deadly attacks in Paris and London than in excursion sites of the Philippines

Old 06-30-2017, 03:14 PM

23 posts, read 19,901 times
a decade tumors that never done ! what a sad Philippines

Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 PM

4,517 posts, read 3,099,103 times
need to go back to their pre-hispanic pre-islamic roots and have a secular democracy. jai majapahit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia