U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 02:49 AM

956 posts, read 1,545,824 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, do cannibals still exist deep in the wild forests of South East Asia? I am talking about countries like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines. If they do, are they ready to attack/take advantage of tourists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 07:38 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Just wondering, do cannibals still exist deep in the wild forests of South East Asia? I am talking about countries like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines. If they do, are they ready to attack/take advantage of tourists?
I think they still have some deep in the jungles of Indonesia and maybe in the Philippines, i don't think they have them in the other countries.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
please cite any source that cannibals ever existed in SE Asia or Asia?

Old 05-30-2017, 11:49 AM

949 posts, read 611,688 times
Quote:
Only if you look particularly plump and tender. Nobody wants tough and gristly - too much work for too little benefit.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:10 PM

It is 2017. If such cannibals existed deep in the jungles of some of these countries, I'm sure you would have heard about it. If not because of the missing tourist in question, then surely because the cannibals would have shared their delectable "catch" via their Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

But don't let any possible fear stop you from jungle exploration. Do keep us posted when you return. And if you don't, well...I guess we would have our answer, wouldn't we?

Last edited by mingna; 05-30-2017 at 01:19 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 01:47 PM

5,091 posts, read 8,066,917 times
Quote:
As for Thailand, there are no cannibalistic tribes in Thailand. Dated August 2009, a bunch of photos were posted by Snopes supposedly depicting the carving up and eating a human body in Thailand with what was claimed to be a cannibalistic act. However, the Royal Thai Embassy (included in the article) said that the cannibalism claim was a complete misrepresentation and provided an explanation of what the images actually show. In other words, the Thai cannibalism claim is a hoax. I'm not going to post the link as the photos are pretty grim, but you can do a web search for the Snopes article entitled: Thai Cannibalism Photos.

The Korowai tribe in Papua New Guinea were known to practice eating human flesh, but I suspect they no longer do that today. The reason is due to parasitic infections and diseases that can be spread by cannibalism. In addition, younger people of tribes that have drifted toward more populated cities, lose their cultural heritage, leave the tribes and seldom, if ever return to the old ways. As contact with the modern world increased communication about diseases, the practice has likely decreased among cannibalistic tribals.

There may be a few extremely remote pockets around the world that practice cannibalism, but not very many, if any at all.

Sleeping with Cannibals | Travel | Smithsonian

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2189571/

Cannibalism: When People Ate People, A Strange Disease Emerged : The Salt : NPR

Kuru - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment of Kuru - NY Times Health Information

Old 05-30-2017, 03:08 PM

OP asked about SE Asia, specifically those countries listed; Papua New Guinea is in Oceana.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:16 PM

5,091 posts, read 8,066,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
OP asked about SE Asia, specifically those countries listed; Papua New Guinea is in Oceana.
Thanks. I had to look it up. It seems we're both right. Papua New Guinea is also considered part of Indonesia, and Indonesia is considered part of Southeast Asia. Yes, you're quite right, it's not one of the countries the OP listed. Regardless, that was the only place I could think of in all of SE Asia where there had ever been the practice of cannibalism, and I have my doubts that it's still practiced there.

I began my post with Thailand, since that was indeed on the OP's list, and that's also the SE Asian country I'm most familiar with. As I mentioned, the only thing I could find about any possible cannibalism in Thailand was essentially nothing more than someone who posted a misrepresentation with a series of photos on the internet, claiming them to be evidence of cannibalism. Essentially it was either a hoax or blundering ignorance. Having spent plenty of time in Thailand, I've never heard of any remote forest dwelling tribes or villages practicing cannibalism there.

I think we agree that the OP need not be concerned about becoming lunch in SE Asia. There are no cannibals to be found there.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:30 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
It is reasonable to assume that all regions of the world populated by humans have experienced at least some rare instances of non-ritual cannibalism, that is either in some desperate famine or a situation where food was otherwise unobtainable such as occurred on a Vietnamese refugee ship in the 1980s. Another form of non-ritual cannibalism is that caused by madness or psychopathy such as the act being carried out by a serial killer with a fetish for anthropophagy.

Less common, but far from rare are societies that engage(d) in ritual cannibalism which was a societally sanctioned cannibalism such as that practiced by some cultures in Malaysia/Borneo and Indonesia.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
head hunting, yes..but cannibalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or