U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Shanghai 9 32.14%
Taipei 19 67.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2017, 09:27 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,172 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Reputation: 11633

Advertisements

I prefer Taipei by a decent margin. Shanghai, and several cities in the region, are my favorite cities in China. I like the culture and the bustle of the region. There is also a quite a few architectural treasures in the region. However, with the rapid destruction of a lot of the historic architectural interests and the severity of the pollution in the delta region, the area's lost a bit of its charm. The air quality is probably going to get better over time, but it's currently quite terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2017, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,129,771 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
EVEN IF there is no pollution, southern China is more cloudy and foggy than most American cities by nature. It is determined by the climate. For example, Chongqing was known to be the "fog city" when there was no pollution at all 100 years ago.
You are seriously comparing fog with smog? Talk about desperate defense.

Smog gives you lung cancer, fog doesn't. Smog gives you asthma, fog does. Smog is harmful to your health, fog isn't. Smog makes people want to move, fog doesn't.

I don't understand why you can't just admit that China, from north to south, east too west, has severe pollution problem, and the only difference lies in the degree. It's pretty ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,876 posts, read 6,624,363 times
Reputation: 6279
I've lived in both places. Sure, Shanghai is bigger, grander than Taipei.
I'd give Taipei an edge because it's just more liveable, and the people are just more down to earth. There is less of an edginess or competitiveness there than in Shanghai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 05:08 AM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,612,834 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You are seriously comparing fog with smog? Talk about desperate defense.

Smog gives you lung cancer, fog doesn't. Smog gives you asthma, fog does. Smog is harmful to your health, fog isn't. Smog makes people want to move, fog doesn't.

I don't understand why you can't just admit that China, from north to south, east too west, has severe pollution problem, and the only difference lies in the degree. It's pretty ridiculous.
You are wrong again. I never said fog and smog are the same. But pollution tends to generate more fog too, and people often think foggy cities are always polluted, which is simply wrong. There is no absolute difference between fog and smog either. In China, smog (霾) is used in weather report when the humidity is lower than 60%. At this time, pollution is the major cause. When a place is polluted, real fog (with very high humidity) can be dangerous too.

You are extremely ridiculous because whenever I say anything, you think I am defending China, although I always say China is polluted. I simply stated the fact that Shanghai is not particularly polluted compared to other major cities in China or Asia, which is absolutely true. However you are unhappy with anything positive or non-negative about China. Talking about being biased.
And no, over 1/4 of China almost has no pollution at all.

Last edited by Bettafish; 06-06-2017 at 05:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Asia
2,761 posts, read 1,103,742 times
Reputation: 2989
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I've lived in both places. Sure, Shanghai is bigger, grander than Taipei.
I'd give Taipei an edge because it's just more liveable, and the people are just more down to earth. There is less of an edginess or competitiveness there than in Shanghai.
I agree, and more.

I love Taipei. It must be one of the most convenient and free cities in the world.

China, as a place that lacks freedom, holds no appeal whatsoever... and Shanghai is of course in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 08:01 AM
 
914 posts, read 552,158 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
still much better than many of those western cities
Which major Western city has tap water that's less drinkable than Shanghai's? It is a typical Third World mentality to focus on shiny new airports and trains while ignoring basic living amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,129,771 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You are wrong again. I never said fog and smog are the same. But pollution tends to generate more fog too, and people often think foggy cities are always polluted, which is simply wrong. There is no absolute difference between fog and smog either. In China, smog (霾) is used in weather report when the humidity is lower than 60%. At this time, pollution is the major cause. When a place is polluted, real fog (with very high humidity) can be dangerous too.
This is absolutely not true. It gets extremely foggy in the Netherlands in the morning sometimes, yet no one ever mistakes it as smog. The truth is that smog is air pollution, and fog is a natural phenomenon, and people know the difference; if they don't, they can feel/smell/taste the difference.


Quote:
You are extremely ridiculous because whenever I say anything, you think I am defending China, although I always say China is polluted. I simply stated the fact that Shanghai is not particularly polluted compared to other major cities in China or Asia, which is absolutely true. However you are unhappy with anything positive or non-negative about China. Talking about being biased.
You keep saying that the pollution in Shanghai is not that bad, as if it's something that could be turned a blind eye on. How is that not a defense? Anyone from a more normal country would easily say that Shanghai is terribly polluted, the fact that it's less polluted than some even more extreme cases only says how bad the situation is in those areas.

Quote:
And no, over 1/4 of China almost has no pollution at all.
I can say that 60% of Taiwan (in the mountains and the east) has no pollution at all as well, but that's just laughable as almost nobody lives here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
I love Taipei. It must be one of the most convenient and free cities in the world.
Eh I wouldn't go that far. In Asia, yes (well it's not like we have lots of competition in this department .... basically none since the gay marriage ruling tbh), but not in the world. Taipei (and Taiwan in general) has had plenty of disheartening practices which are extremely grave violation to human rights. Here are some of the recent cases:
https://www.thenewslens.com/article/39333
https://buzzorange.com/2017/06/02/li...iginal-tribes/
€Š‰宏恩€‘“華ˆ諾Œ‰飯—˜‡• ‹代ƒ | 即™‚–ž | 20140626 | ˜‹žœ—*
http://pnn.pts.org.tw/main/2017/04/2...C%B0%E6%9D%BF/

Last edited by Greysholic; 06-06-2017 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 PM
 
1,011 posts, read 629,936 times
Reputation: 283
LOL. In those "developed" cities like London, Paris or NYC, you have to live with constant fear of your own safety. You don't need to worry about that in Shanghai. That's why Shanghai is much more livable than those western cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Which major Western city has tap water that's less drinkable than Shanghai's? It is a typical Third World mentality to focus on shiny new airports and trains while ignoring basic living amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 01:25 PM
 
6,726 posts, read 6,612,834 times
Reputation: 2386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
This is absolutely not true. It gets extremely foggy in the Netherlands in the morning sometimes, yet no one ever mistakes it as smog. The truth is that smog is air pollution, and fog is a natural phenomenon, and people know the difference; if they don't, they can feel/smell/taste the difference.



You keep saying that the pollution in Shanghai is not that bad, as if it's something that could be turned a blind eye on. How is that not a defense? Anyone from a more normal country would easily say that Shanghai is terribly polluted, the fact that it's less polluted than some even more extreme cases only says how bad the situation is in those areas.


I can say that 60% of Taiwan (in the mountains and the east) has no pollution at all as well, but that's just laughable as almost nobody lives here.


Eh I wouldn't go that far. In Asia, yes (well it's not like we have lots of competition in this department .... basically none since the gay marriage ruling tbh), but not in the world. Taipei (and Taiwan in general) has had plenty of disheartening practices which are extremely grave violation to human rights. Here are some of the recent cases:
https://www.thenewslens.com/article/39333
https://buzzorange.com/2017/06/02/li...iginal-tribes/
【劉宏恩】讓華航諾富特飯店付出法 代價 | 即時新聞 | 20140626 | 蘋果日*
http://pnn.pts.org.tw/main/2017/04/2...C%B0%E6%9D%BF/
London used to be called the "fog capital" when it was heavily polluted. So people DO associate fog with pollution. Learn some history.
Pollution generates more fogs AND smogs.

I have said three times that Shanghai is not particularly polluted compared to other major cities, nothing less nothing more. You have never been to Shanghai or studied the data, but keep fabricating stories. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2017, 01:25 PM
 
914 posts, read 552,158 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
LOL. In those "developed" cities like London, Paris or NYC, you have to live with constant fear of your own safety. You don't need to worry about that in Shanghai. That's why Shanghai is much more livable than those western cities.
I would rather cross the street in any of the cities you mentioned than Shanghai. And I notice you ignored my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top