U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bangalore, Goa, and Pondicherry - Which would you like to get to (you can choose more than one answe
Bangalore 5 18.52%
Goa 12 44.44%
Pondicherry 7 25.93%
None of those, but interested in other locations in India 6 22.22%
Not interested in India 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:17 PM

345 posts, read 154,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Maybe they ONLY dressed up to make this video...but other videos I've seen where young Indian women are very hesitant to even wear western clothing in public let alone, skirts as some of the women are wearing in this video.

Interesting, for sure!
Absolutely not true. That's old thinking. In many places in India, foreigners are more clothed than Indian women. Jeans, skirts, t-shirts/short sleeves pretty common for many Indian girls/women. Nightclubs are even more eye-opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:22 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,159,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
From this model shoot in Mumbai, I think it's fair to say that some young Indian women have no qualms about exposing themselves:
But, the modeling shows are always completely different. It's a higher form of 'art' or higher culture. It's kind of like everyone proud their daughter/sister/girlfriend/best friend/friend of a friend is a high-class runway model, but no one would want them to be a low-class acting stripper.

So, I think we'll always see that double standard, universally, throughout all cultures.

I am a bit curious about the RICHARD GERE incident from a few years ago now. The entire country of India was outraged over it.... how would that be perceived today? It wasn't that long ago...

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-15-2017 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 11:48 PM

Okay, I'm looking at Lucknow...

Report from women and how they feel about going out in Lucknow: All's not fair in Lucknow - Times of India

Also, reading this from the Wikitravel in Lucknow (which is a common theme whenever I read nightlife stuff for most India cities:

Lucknow - Wikitravel
Quote:
Finding alcohol is not a problem, but most bars are seedy and are to be avoided, except for those in five-star restaurants.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:37 AM

345 posts, read 154,743 times
Quote:
Okay, I'm looking at Lucknow...

Report from women and how they feel about going out in Lucknow: All's not fair in Lucknow - Times of India

Also, reading this from the Wikitravel in Lucknow (which is a common theme whenever I read nightlife stuff for most India cities:

Lucknow - Wikitravel
I'm not quite sure why you keep insisting there is no nightlife in India - and that all women dress conservatively. Have you ever been to India?

Here are a few things to watch/read...there are plenty more. Do take note of the clothes the girls are wearing in the video. You can google for plenty more like these - and of course Goa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYasDhByQZU
Nightlife in Mumbai | Night Out Places, Clubs, Bars & Pubs for Singles in Mumbai | HappyTrips.com
13 Best Experiences of Nightlife in Delhi

Lucknow itself is a much smaller city yet there is still some nightlife:

Nightlife in Lucknow, Bars, Disc, Pubs, Nightclubs in Lucknow

Your report about how women feel about going out is not limited to Lucknow. That stuff happens all over India to Indian girls and foreigners.

And please don't use Wikipedia for up-to-date TRAVEL info! There are plenty of excellent travel sites written by travelers themselves.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:23 AM

17,238 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
I am a bit curious about the RICHARD GERE incident from a few years ago now. The entire country of India was outraged over it.... how would that be perceived today? It wasn't that long ago...
There's definitely a general social conservativeness in India. I don't think anyone can deny that. That's how the culture has been for a long time. It is a mostly Hindu society. Parents want their children to be model citizens and all that.

However, as we've seen, quite a lot of people find ways to break away from strict tradition as well. It's not just one or the other. Everybody is not going to be the same in a country of 1.3 billion people.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
I'm not quite sure why you keep insisting there is no nightlife in India - and that all women dress conservatively. Have you ever been to India?.
Mumbai, which I loved...and I spent a few weeks in Sri Lanka.

I didn't go for the nightlife, but I did go out a little bit, but it wasn't that interesting, what I did see. I definitely don't recall seeing anyone walking around with mini-skirts....but some of the upper class girls did 'dress up' for the higher-end nightlife that I did see.

I didn't see anywhere in either place, where people were walking around bar-hopping in any kind of attire that might be typical in Japan, Korea, USA, Canada, Europe and such when they go out for the night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
And please don't use Wikipedia for up-to-date TRAVEL info! There are plenty of excellent travel sites written by travelers themselves.
That link wasn't Wikipedia, it was Wikitravel...which is a traveler's website.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
There's definitely a general social conservativeness in India. I don't think anyone can deny that. That's how the culture has been for a long time. It is a mostly Hindu society. Parents want their children to be model citizens and all that.

However, as we've seen, quite a lot of people find ways to break away from strict tradition as well. It's not just one or the other. Everybody is not going to be the same in a country of 1.3 billion people.
Yep! Definitely!

Old 06-16-2017, 06:46 AM

17,238 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
I didn't go for the nightlife, but I did go out a little bit, but it wasn't that interesting, what I did see. I definitely don't recall seeing anyone walking around with mini-skirts....but some of the upper class girls did 'dress up' for the higher-end nightlife that I did see.

I didn't see anywhere in either place, where people were walking around bar-hopping in any kind of attire that might be typical in Japan, Korea, USA, Canada, Europe and such when they go out for the night...
In Indian cities, young women usually dress up on the way to nightlife and then dress down once they're inside the venue. It's a cultural norm.

That's probably why you didn't see it.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
In Indian cities, young women usually dress up on the way to nightlife and then dress down once they're inside the venue. It's a cultural norm.

That's probably why you didn't see it.
They dress up to go there? You mean, wear their clubbing outfits in public, and than change and dress down in the actual venue? That sounds odd, is that what they do? Did I understand that right?

Old 07-20-2017, 04:00 AM

1 posts, read 520 times
Definitely, Goa, as the place is really amazing and beautiful, When I visited Goa last year I fell in love with the food, culture, and beaches there. It is a great place for vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or