U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bangalore, Goa, and Pondicherry - Which would you like to get to (you can choose more than one answe
Bangalore 5 18.52%
Goa 12 44.44%
Pondicherry 7 25.93%
None of those, but interested in other locations in India 6 22.22%
Not interested in India 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:05 AM

3,752 posts, read 7,488,030 times

Advertisements

I've been to Bangalore. Heard good things about Goa, but not intetested, so- Pondicherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 AM

63 posts, read 25,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I would like to visit the back waters of Kerala in the south someday and sacred Buddhist sites in the North. I might visit Sri Lanka and Burma before I go to India.
Buddhism historically had a stronger impact in South India than in North India, and South India had immense influence on Buddhism's development. The remaining Buddhist areas of India are either Sri Lanka or East Asian (Nepal, etc...). The movements to restore Buddhism also come from South India too.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
..and now that I've been to Bangalore and Goa, I'm interested in Pondicherry

As an aside..Bangalore didn't have many touristic sites, but the people were great, and they had quite a few bookstores/literary material - i.e. Church Street, in particular. Very few, if any, of the hassles associated with North India. Overall, it was a fairly large laid-back generic India city, that seems to be afloat with enough money, that'll probably continue to make itself more interesting, and definitely more livable.

Goa. Tons of touristic stuff. The beaches were a bit TOO touristy to me. Just a ton of Indian men from all across India, absolutely everywhere. That being said, INLAND where the Portuguese influence was highest, those parts were fantastic! I particularly liked the capital city of Goa, Panaji. Very laid-back, nice sidewalks (as other parts of India, you often end up walking in the streets with the traffic). Panaji was just comfortable and interesting and enjoyable.

That being said, I can't help but think that Pondicherry would be just a larger version of Panaji, but with the beach (but without the massive amounts of beach tourists that Goa attracts). Being that Pondicherry is quite a bit larger than Panaji, perhaps more of what Bangalore would offer, but more touristic sites to go with it - plus that French colonial architecture of Pondicherry seems quite interesting. The architecture in Bangalore was quite bland actually. Very interesting Portuguese architecture in Panaji though.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:26 PM

345 posts, read 154,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

As an aside..Bangalore didn't have many touristic sites, but the people were great, and they had quite a few bookstores/literary material - i.e. Church Street, in particular. Very few, if any, of the hassles associated with North India. Overall, it was a fairly large laid-back generic India city, that seems to be afloat with enough money, that'll probably continue to make itself more interesting, and definitely more livable.

Goa. Tons of touristic stuff. The beaches were a bit TOO touristy to me. Just a ton of Indian men from all across India, absolutely everywhere. That being said, INLAND where the Portuguese influence was highest, those parts were fantastic! I particularly liked the capital city of Goa, Panaji. Very laid-back, nice sidewalks (as other parts of India, you often end up walking in the streets with the traffic). Panaji was just comfortable and interesting and enjoyable.

That being said, I can't help but think that Pondicherry would be just a larger version of Panaji, but with the beach (but without the massive amounts of beach tourists that Goa attracts). Being that Pondicherry is quite a bit larger than Panaji, perhaps more of what Bangalore would offer, but more touristic sites to go with it - plus that French colonial architecture of Pondicherry seems quite interesting. The architecture in Bangalore was quite bland actually. Very interesting Portuguese architecture in Panaji though.
There are quite a lot of expats in Banglaore. They had some big issues last New Year's Eve (https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...ations-1644167) - you can Google for more info. Bangalore was one of the very first places I visited in India...on my way to Nagarhole, which was amazing.

Goa used to be so much better...too many cheap foreign tourists and foreigners who brought in drugs and prostitution there now. There are a lot of domestic tourists now that domestic travel has become so cheap. Probably had to do with the holiday week too. There are still many nice places to go - Old Goa is one. Too bad you didn't get to Hampi - fascinating. Panjim has a couple of excellent walking tours through the Portuguese sections...and great local food!

Pondicherry is great. The French influence is felt all around. If you get there be sure to stop at Mamallapuram on the way. If you arrive from or stay near Chennai, see Kanchipuram...fantastic temples!

Glad you enjoyed!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,445,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
I was in Sri Lanka last February. I highly recommend going.
I was in Sri Lanka last Feb and go to Goa in 5 days for a week. I'll post my preference when I get back. For the record, I'm going with my wife so not going to party and chase what Trump likes to grab.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:16 AM

1,940 posts, read 939,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
If you want to do a tour of the South one option would be to Start in Chennai ( agree not much really to see there) and just outside it is Mahabalipuram, also now called Mamallapuram. You see the Pallava Temples, a Unesco heritage site.

Then head on to Pondicherry and explore it and stay for the night.

The next day journey further south and my next recommended place is Tanjore. The temple there, built by the Chola rulers, is astounding. Again, an Unesco site.

A but further south is Madurai, with the Pandya rulers and the famous Madurai Meenakshi temple. Another magnificent piece of architecture.

From there one can either head to the southernmost point of India called Kanyakumari or head to Kerala. The backwaters are beautiful as are the tea gardens.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:35 PM

39 posts, read 26,182 times
Any of those would be interesting. Out of the poll options, Goa would probably be my first choice.

I've been to India a few times to visit relatives, but I've only been to Delhi, the Punjab area (ancestral homeland), and Agra.

If I go back to India, the places I'd be most interested in seeing are either in the South (especially Goa and Kerala) and the Himalayas (somewhere like Sikkim). I love mountains so a Himalayan area would hold obvious appeal for me. South India also has some beautiful areas. Munnar looks like a nice hill station in the green mountains of Kerala. Tamil Nadu might have some places like that as well.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 PM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
OP here.

I've been to both Goa and Bangalore. I liked them both, and far preferred South India to North India. I'd go back to South India in a mini-heartbeat.

I wasn't able to make it to Pondicherry, but I'd like to someday. That and Kerala.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 166 times
I would recommend Bangalore, as there are many places to visit near Bangalore such are Coorg and Wayanad.

During my trip to Wayanad I stayed At Club Mahindra Wayanad Resort which was a good resort.
[url=http://www.clubmahindra.com/our-resorts/vythiri-village-club-mahindra-affiliate-resort]Vythiri Village Resort In Wayanad[/url]

Old 05-21-2018, 10:15 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,454,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There's definitely a general social conservativeness in India. I don't think anyone can deny that. That's how the culture has been for a long time. It is a mostly Hindu society. Parents want their children to be model citizens and all that.

However, as we've seen, quite a lot of people find ways to break away from strict tradition as well. It's not just one or the other. Everybody is not going to be the same in a country of 1.3 billion people.
If that's the case, why are there so many scams in India? I've heard there are people posing as fake doctors in Delhi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or