Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 09:52 PM

10 posts, read 5,549 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I don't know where to post this question, so I guess this could be a good place.

Anyways, I have a neighbor in the building who is Korean. It's been a year since we've started to share our homemade food from time to time, which I found very kind.

The thing is that I don't eat pork and last month my neighbor made pork ribs, knocked on my door and gave it to me. When I realized it is pork I went to his door, I said thank you, I really appreciate it and I've tried to be nice and not to offended him and I told him I don't eat pork. He have been nice as well, said ''oh okay'' and that was it. I think he doesn't speak english but he have kids, they are going to school here in the U.S. where we live, and I usually talk with them in english when we see each other (nothing much but small talk).

So, today, one of his kids knocked on my door and I got full plate of sushi. I was really happy but later when I wanted to eat that sushi... guess what: it was filled with ham. Spam ham.
Since I touched those sushi with my hands, I didn't return that plate to him. I just thrown away.

Now my question is: how to say to my neighbor that I don't eat anything made from pig like sausage, ham, ribs, etc.

I don't want to be rude and I feel embarrassed how to tell him without making him uncomfortable. As I said, I really like how we are nice to each other and when I cooked something or when I made a cake I bring some to them, and they do the same.
But I just feel horrible to return his food or to thrown away when he made something with pork like last two times and he obviously doesn't know or he didn't understand when I told him I don't eat pork.

Any advice how to clarified this with my neighbor and not to hurt his feelings? I don't know much about Korean people and mentality... any tips would be helpful.

Thank you very much.

Last edited by TheSpy; 04-24-2019 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 02:19 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,375,056 times
No a Korean here but I'm Asian. But this is very simple problem, if you can't say it, type it i your tablet, google translate it to Korean.

Being Asian, we prefer being frank and it doesn't hurt our feelings.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:00 AM

9 posts, read 4,784 times
I'm think you shoud talk to your neighbor that you don't eat pork when he give you food
Imagine. One day, he find out you thrown away. He will get angry and he wil hate you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia