U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,774 posts, read 5,122,827 times
Reputation: 4566

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
As a former Chinese citizen, I would say China currently doesn't deserve Taiwan. Taiwan just passed the same sex marriage law, which is sufficient to prove China is decades behind it.

BUt it is the new TW president's stance that pushes China to be increasingly agressive in diplomacy. She is not doing TW much favour. Nationalism is always stupid.
Oh so the rogue nation that has been constantly threatening this and that, forcing their expansionism on us, is now being pushed into a corner, while we are the one being nationalistic and unreasonable here? By what kind of possible logic could a country that claims another country to be theirs be the victim here, whereas the one constantly bullied and humiliated be called unnecessarily nationalistic? In what ways has she exercised this "stupid nationalism"? Or rather, in what ways have Taiwanese people displayed this "stupid nationalism" you're referencing?

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-16-2017 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 AM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,757 times
Reputation: 283
come on. TW is a province, plain and simple. Don't bury your head in the sands. It is very stupid for those tw residents to claim they are nationalistic. they want to be nationals of what? China? or Japan? or US?

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Oh so the rogue nation that has been constantly threatening this and that, forcing their expansionism on us, is now being pushed into a corner, while we are the one being nationalistic and unreasonable here? By what kind of possible logic could a country that claims another country to be theirs be the victim here, whereas the one constantly bullied and humiliated be called unnecessarily nationalistic? In what ways has she exercised this "stupid nationalism"? Or rather, in what ways have Taiwanese people displayed this "stupid nationalism" you're referencing?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-16-2017 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Edited quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,617 posts, read 2,654,642 times
Reputation: 2552
A lot of Taiwanese want to rejoin China just to stick to the US.

Time will tell what happens to Taiwan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Beautiful Pennsylvania / Dull Germany
2,214 posts, read 2,632,781 times
Reputation: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
come on. TW is a province, plain and simple. Don't bury your head in the sands. It is very stupid for those tw residents to claim they are nationalistic. they want to be nationals of what? China? or Japan? or US?

LOL
Just because mainland China declares any souvereign country as it's a province, it does not make them a province. If I claim now that China is a province of the US, so what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,360 posts, read 547,271 times
Reputation: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
that's ridiculous. Without outside interference, no side can take over the other in the Korea situation.
Without outside interference, China would occupy TW in hours
Without Stalin giving the weapons of the defeated Kwantung Army to the Eighth Route Army at end of WWII, no way CCP could even participate in the civil war.

You mean that is NOT outside interference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,360 posts, read 547,271 times
Reputation: 1102
And without any outside interference, PLA couldn't even take over the tiny islands of Kinmen and Matsu which are not even mile, but just feet away from Mainland China.

They tried two times on Kinmen. Both missions failed miserably without outside interference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,757 times
Reputation: 283
Of course, at that time, PLA had no navy at all. but things have changed.
It is ironic that it was Taiwan who insisted on the one China policy because it was sure that it can reconquer the mainland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
And without any outside interference, PLA couldn't even take over the tiny islands of Kinmen and Matsu which are not even mile, but just feet away from Mainland China.

They tried two times on Kinmen. Both missions failed miserably without outside interference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 02:42 PM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,757 times
Reputation: 283
how can you tell TW is country? Even half of Taiwanese do not believe TW is an independant country.
you must know better than all the heads of states as they all believe TW is not a country. Even Trump admits to the one china principle



Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Just because mainland China declares any souvereign country as it's a province, it does not make them a province. If I claim now that China is a province of the US, so what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 PM
 
1,011 posts, read 628,757 times
Reputation: 283
So without French interference, US is still british colony. What is your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Without Stalin giving the weapons of the defeated Kwantung Army to the Eighth Route Army at end of WWII, no way CCP could even participate in the civil war.

You mean that is NOT outside interference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2017, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,360 posts, read 547,271 times
Reputation: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
So without French interference, US is still british colony. What is your point
The point is quite simple. If PRC invades Taiwan, I don't see anything wrong that there is foreign intervention (though no country has explicitly spelled out).

Unfortunately that is the fact. In fact, without foreign collusion, CCP even had problem to be born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top