U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 06:43 PM

94 posts, read 54,105 times

Advertisements

I have been hired to teach English at Web International in Changsha and at Ef in Dalian.

Which is the better option?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,599,126 times
They are both "tier 2" big cities in China and neither is too bad.

Dalian is more "livable" than Changsha. It's on the coast, with mild summers and relatively clean air. Winters are harsh but there is central heating everywhere. The architectures and lifestyle have some Russian and Japanese influence.

Changsha is in South China. Summers are very hot and humid (like Atlanta), but winter days can be chilly sometimes too. There is NO heating in most public buildings. However, it seems that Changsha is developing faster than Dalian, and it may be more "exciting" there. Dalian is kind of far from other parts of China.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
They are both "tier 2" big cities in China and neither is too bad.

Dalian is more "livable" than Changsha. It's on the coast, with mild summers and relatively clean air. Winters are harsh but there is central heating everywhere. The architectures and lifestyle have some Russian and Japanese influence.

Changsha is in South China. Summers are very hot and humid (like Atlanta), but winter days can be chilly sometimes too. There is NO heating in most public buildings. However, it seems that Changsha is developing faster than Dalian, and it may be more "exciting" there. Dalian is kind of far from other parts of China.
It may be more exciting in Changsha? How so?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post
It may be more exciting in Changsha? How so?
More entertainment options. I do not know what foreigners feel but most Chinese people think Changsha has good food, good night life and so on. It is in a densely populated area of China, and also relatively close to other big cities.

That being said, Dalian is not a boring city either. You just need to know that North China has less "night life" than South China in general. People in the north tend to go home early, especially in cold seasons, and are less willing to spend.
Everything is relative though.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
More entertainment options. I do not know what foreigners feel but most Chinese people think Changsha has good food, good night life and so on. It is in a densely populated area of China, and also relatively close to other big cities.

That being said, Dalian is not a boring city either. You just need to know that North China has less "night life" than South China in general. People in the north tend to go home early, especially in cold seasons, and are less willing to spend.
Everything is relative though.
wow! thanks so much!

Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM

653 posts, read 581,409 times
I would pick Dalian over Changsha. You'll at least have some expat community in Dalian and bars to meet other expats. Changsha would be a very "Local" experience, and maybe too boring after a while.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
I've been to neither city, but I prefer northern Chinese food and culture. My wife's family is originally from Harbin, but settled in Henan (not to be confused with Hunan). In my experience, northern Chinese are friendlier and easier to make friends with. The food, obviously this is my opinion, is much better in the north.

The bad things about the north, most cities are more polluted and the winter weather can be quite bad, unless you like cold.

The good thing about Changsha is you are right in the center of China and could see the country easier. Chinese trains are great for traveling.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:59 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,349,751 times
I've been to Changsha a few times, since it's the closest major city to where my wife is originally from, and she has lots of relatives and friends who live there. It's modern, clean, and less polluted, and people are pretty nice (all by Chinese standards). Spring and summer are pretty hot, while fall is mild and winter gets chilly. It's nowhere near as international as the big 4 cities (SH, BJ, GZ, SZ), but there is still an expat community, and the times I've been there, I've never felt like a sideshow attraction. Hunanese food is imho one of the better cuisines in China, but you also have all other regional cuisines represented as well as some Western and other foreign foods.

It's about 2 hours by high speed rail to Guangzhou, and another 45 minutes from there to Shenzen or the HK border.

I haven't been to Dalian, though I was supposed to move there initially, and so I did some research into it. It gets SUPER cold during the winter, and you do get snowfall. Because of its proximity to the Korean peninsula, there are lots of ethnic Koreans there, as well as Korean cuisine, and there is a North Korean presence, which is interesting.

Neither city is very expensive compared to the big four, and you shouldn't have a problem making your yuan stretch.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM

131 posts, read 8,694 times
Dalian if you don't like hot Chinese food and enjoy coastal cities.

However it is as cold as Beijing and Seoul in winter.

The cultures in the two cities are not similar.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM

21 posts, read 1,921 times
Tough choice though there are similarities but many differences too, i supposed you can see what is installed in each city before going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or