U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 11:18 AM

359 posts, read 652,225 times

Advertisements

So here I am in the middle of City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia thinking, "Where's the expat thread?"

Or is everyone on Reddit?

Anyone else here in Tokyo for the long-haul? How is it treating you?

Kampai.

DT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 12:05 AM

1,806 posts, read 809,379 times
Gaijin post? There are plenty of forums for expats in Japan.

It seems that the longer you stay in a foreign country, the more complaints you have.

Very few tourists complain about Japan, Japan is a country that you will love at the first sight.

But expats who have spent more than a decade like to complain incessantly about the xenophobia and the stagnant economy.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:00 AM

3,677 posts, read 8,848,273 times
How about GaijinPot?

https://gaijinpot.com

Old 06-25-2017, 09:51 AM

359 posts, read 652,225 times
Yep! Thanks - on that one too. Tokyoweekender.com and metropolis.co.jp are decent for events.

I'm kind of rounding out the Honeymoon phase and feeling more and more isolated.

JAPANESE CULTURE -- A PRIMER FOR NEWCOMERS (My first and most tried-and-true outsiders' opinion page)

Gotta keep that motivation up.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
Yep! Thanks - on that one too. Tokyoweekender.com and metropolis.co.jp are decent for events.

I'm kind of rounding out the Honeymoon phase and feeling more and more isolated.

JAPANESE CULTURE -- A PRIMER FOR NEWCOMERS (My first and most tried-and-true outsiders' opinion page)

Gotta keep that motivation up.
I haven't lived in Japan for an extended period of time, but I've experience with living abroad.

Full assimilition isn't quite possible, make more friends who are from your country or similar backgrounds, you'll feel better when you are surrounded with friends.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:11 AM

15,947 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Gaijin post? There are plenty of forums for expats in Japan.

It seems that the longer you stay in a foreign country, the more complaints you have.

Very few tourists complain about Japan, Japan is a country that you will love at the first sight.

But expats who have spent more than a decade like to complain incessantly about the xenophobia and the stagnant economy.
I lived in Japan for a long time, and I never complained about xenophobia.

I usually find it's people who have never been to Japan, those are the ones who usually complain about xenophobia the most.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in Japan for a long time, and I never complained about xenophobia.

I usually find it's people who have never been to Japan, those are the ones who usually complain about xenophobia the most.
Good for you.

Japan is my favorite foreign country on earth, actually I think their xenophobia level is lower than most Western countries.

Normally people are really frustrated only when they try to fully assimilate. If you are comfortable with being considered an outsider no matter how hard you try, living abroad is perfect for you.

Personally, I didn't try to be "one of them" when I lived in a foreign country. The locals want you to respect their way of life, but they don't expect you to join them. I'm fine with being treated as a tourist in a foreign city that I've lived for 7 years.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 PM

15,947 posts, read 36,185,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Good for you.

Japan is my favorite foreign country on earth, actually I think their xenophobia level is lower than most Western countries.

Normally people are really frustrated only when they try to fully assimilate. If you are comfortable with being considered an outsider no matter how hard you try, living abroad is perfect for you.

Personally, I didn't try to be "one of them" when I lived in a foreign country. The locals want you to respect their way of life, but they don't expect you to join them. I'm fine with being treated as a tourist in a foreign city that I've lived for 7 years.
Well, what's unique about Japan, is it attracts a lot of 'white' people who've never lived anywhere.

If a white person tries to live in any other country, they'll also see that they are perceived as a foreigner, regardless if this is an American moving to India or Mexico or France. Of course you might have a shot at France, if a person is able to fully assimilate in every aspect. But highly doubtful for India, Mexico, Japan, Russia, etc.

I think anyone who has actually lived in any country for any amount of time, will quickly realize they will always be perceived as a foreigner. I lived in countries in Europe, South America, and Asia, and I was always perceived as a foreigner, so when I moved to Japan, this didn't shock me at all.

Even in the 'melting pots' of America or the 'mixing salad' of Canada...people will always refer to others as 'their Jamaican friend', 'their Dominican boyfriend', their 'Korean girlfriend', etc. It's the same thing, that recognition that you aren't somehow FULLY white American, or whatever.

Having lived in plenty of countries myself, Japan included, I also found whatever xenophobia there was, to be quite low. For someone to assume they can just move to Japan and become Japanese in a year, is completely insane, and anyone in Japan not recognizing them as Japanese, is some xenophobic gaijin-hater, is even more insane. But, unique to Japan, many white people do that all the time.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:47 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Well, what's unique about Japan, is it attracts a lot of 'white' people who've never lived anywhere.

If a white person tries to live in any other country, they'll also see that they are perceived as a foreigner, regardless if this is an American moving to India or Mexico or France. Of course you might have a shot at France, if a person is able to fully assimilate in every aspect. But highly doubtful for India, Mexico, Japan, Russia, etc.

I think anyone who has actually lived in any country for any amount of time, will quickly realize they will always be perceived as a foreigner. I lived in countries in Europe, South America, and Asia, and I was always perceived as a foreigner, so when I moved to Japan, this didn't shock me at all.

Even in the 'melting pots' of America or the 'mixing salad' of Canada...people will always refer to others as 'their Jamaican friend', 'their Dominican boyfriend', their 'Korean girlfriend', etc. It's the same thing, that recognition that you aren't somehow FULLY white American, or whatever.

Having lived in plenty of countries myself, Japan included, I also found whatever xenophobia there was, to be quite low. For someone to assume they can just move to Japan and become Japanese in a year, is completely insane, and anyone in Japan not recognizing them as Japanese, is some xenophobic gaijin-hater, is even more insane. But, unique to Japan, many white people do that all the time.
As someone who lived in 3 different countries (not including home country) I highly agree with you.

Those white people who adore Japan or think Japan is the best country in the world usually don't know anything deeper about Japan except comic books and sushi. I have met quite a few of these people - they love Japan because they want to feel attached to an exotic eastern culture, to be "cool", and what country is better than perfectly orderly Japan? Yet their love stops there. Hardly any of them even tried to learn the Japanese language.

I don't think xenophobic is so prevalent everywhere either. The fact one can't fully assimilate into a different country is very different from xenophobia. And I have to emphasize it is EXTREMELY difficult to assililate as the first generation immigrant, especially when you look different and do not speak the language perfectly. People dont hate you or look down upon you for being a foreigner, but they just see you as a foreigner, that's all. and you are right about the US and Canada. The "melting pot" in reality does not exist, at least not fully melting.

Compared with China, Korea or even some southeastern Asian countries, Japan is a very unique and inward looking culture, so it is even more difficult for a foreigner, especially a non-Asian to fully assimilate. I don't think it is possible.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:

I totally agree with you.

Actually, even if you are not a visible minority, you'll probably experience the same issue, to a lesser degree though.

Many people are quite friendly to foreigners, assuming that you need help. The experience isn't bad. But after spending a decade in a foreign country, sometimes you don't want to be treated as a tourist. The last thing I want to hear is, "Your (insert local language) is very good!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia