U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2017, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Reputation: 4566

Advertisements

I think it's wonderful that you have something unique that no one else understands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 AM
 
12,303 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Reputation: 19205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think it's wonderful that you have something unique that no one else understands.
You can understand it with some effort, and it's not considered 'wonderful' by the Singaporean government and perhaps the majority of it's citizens since it's frowned upon and considered low class, it's just bad English...at least as considered from my Singporean contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You can understand it with some effort, and it's not considered 'wonderful' by the Singaporean government and perhaps the majority of it's citizens since it's frowned upon and considered low class, it's just bad English...at least as considered from my Singporean contacts.
Really? The Singaporeans I know are all very proud of Singlish, and would be upset when foreigners make fun of it.

I'm not surprised that Singaporean government doesn't like it. They seem to antagonise everything stemming from the grassroots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:46 AM
 
12,303 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Reputation: 19205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? The Singaporeans I know are all very proud of Singlish, and would be upset when foreigners make fun of it.

I'm not surprised that Singaporean government doesn't like it. They seem to antagonise everything stemming from the grassroots.
I think some Singaporeans see it as a unique cultural identifier for a country that is really a collection of nationalities and cultures, and it's become a national pride thing.
The government, most employers and professionals, and as stated previously the schools, discourages it because they fear it may overcome proper King's English and thus makes there citizens and thus there country less competitive when engaging in global business.

Really, in my experience traveling to Singapore, I never hear it except for a few words inserted here and there. Other languages besides english - Mandarin, Malay, yes. I suspect it's just used in very limited informal situations, may a teenager talking to another teenager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,021 posts, read 898,076 times
Reputation: 736
Educated Singaporeans, I'm (and other expats) ok with their Singlish.

Uneducated Singaporeans like those people working as a server in hawker center, that's where the Singlish becomes hard to understand for expats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,526 posts, read 1,272,710 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Really? The Singaporeans I know are all very proud of Singlish, and would be upset when foreigners make fun of it.

I'm not surprised that Singaporean government doesn't like it. They seem to antagonise everything stemming from the grassroots.
Spot on Dude.. As a born, bred, studied and working in Singapore Singaporean, i don't feel good when other people frown and make fun of it..

Probably it is also why almost 100% of Singaporeans will insist that English is our 1st language, when we enter primary school at the tender age of six, we have already been instilled in the ideology EL1 and CL2/ML2..

Well it is also true that the Singapore government frown upon the use of Singlish. Well in Singapore anything that seems damaging to our reputation and accolades will be .... by the Singapore government

Last edited by singaporelady; 07-13-2017 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Taipei
6,776 posts, read 5,128,008 times
Reputation: 4566
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well in Singapore anything that seems damaging to our reputation and accolades will be .... by the Singapore government
Only when it suits their agenda. I don't see them trying to eliminate caning or lifting up the restrictions on political freedom. And believe me these things are far more damaging to the reputation and accolades of Singapore than Singlish is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 PM
 
1,789 posts, read 1,450,954 times
Reputation: 3680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I understand that, no clarification needed. But you misunderstand our usage of the term "second language" in the US (perhaps because we have no official language, at least on the federal level, in the US) I think.
Not a big deal, but when we use this term "second language" we are referring to an individual, not the country - a second language is the language that is not the native language of the speaker, but that is used in the locale of that person
I think you misunderstand that in Singapore, especially the younger generation, English is their first language. I know many younger ones that speak a dressed up type of Singlish and their "native tongue" or "ancestral language" whatever you want to call it, is atrocious. Bad enough that elders complain about their lack of skill speaking it.

Many of the older generations, sure English is a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th language. Many of them speak 1 or 2 dialects of Chinese (usually hokkien, mandarin, teochew, or cantonese), Malay and/or Tamil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2017, 06:25 PM
 
915 posts, read 551,720 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I think you misunderstand that in Singapore, especially the younger generation, English is their first language. I know many younger ones that speak a dressed up type of Singlish and their "native tongue" or "ancestral language" whatever you want to call it, is atrocious. Bad enough that elders complain about their lack of skill speaking it.

Many of the older generations, sure English is a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th language. Many of them speak 1 or 2 dialects of Chinese (usually hokkien, mandarin, teochew, or cantonese), Malay and/or Tamil.
All of the Singaporeans I've met were of Chinese descent and they all spoke English with a Chinese like accent even if they do have a somewhat unique syntax and phrasing.
Do those Singaporeans of Malay or Indian descent speak with different accents or does everyone on the island sound East Asian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2017, 01:42 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
4,880 posts, read 3,389,817 times
Reputation: 7809
My wife is part of the Pioneer Generation and she has never used Singlish. She went to school during colonial times and followed a British teaching curriculum and speaks proper English. And she is much more bilingual than the younger generation. In addition to English she speaks Cantonese and Malay and can also speak passable Hokkien, Hakka and Teochew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top