U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:21 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,270,803 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear about various experiences and help clarify if anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM

1,800 posts, read 803,616 times
Practically no experience.

I've only met one guy from Singapore and he speaks English pretty well.

I honestly don't think it's a big deal.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Nothing. Just hope they stop talking like that. People should just stop butchering other languages, period.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:26 AM

I posted this new thread because I came across some forums where foreign expats were criticising Singlish and saying that some of our government schools issue parents letters which have grammatical errors .. Some were saying it can be hard to understand locals due to their English ...

Glad to hear some positive stuff here ...

Old 07-08-2017, 07:51 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
The subject came up in a conversation I had with a Singaporean co-worker just this week - her opinion: "it's just bad English". Bad grammar. She has no patience for it. She talked about the public schools trying to discourage it as well.
I remarked that sometimes it's hard to understand people from Singapore, but that's because for many English is a second language and it's heavily accented.

There is only one version of English, only one - "The King's English". I told her about the US issue with acceptance of "Eubonics" as a recognized dialect. She just laughed. Singapore won't tolerate that crap there, not in schools.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:01 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,157,510 times
My mom's best friend is from Singapore, and when I was a teenager, I remember she spoke English correctly, using British words. She blended in Received Pronunciation with a Chinese accent. So, no Singlish

Old 07-08-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The subject came up in a conversation I had with a Singaporean co-worker just this week - her opinion: "it's just bad English". Bad grammar. She has no patience for it. She talked about the public schools trying to discourage it as well.
I remarked that sometimes it's hard to understand people from Singapore, but that's because for many English is a second language and it's heavily accented.

There is only one version of English, only one - "The King's English". I told her about the US issue with acceptance of "Eubonics" as a recognized dialect. She just laughed. Singapore won't tolerate that crap there, not in schools.
I think I need to clarify something here, in government schools over here in Singapore English is the 1st language not second language .

Science, Maths , Geography, History, Social Studies, Art, Music, Design and Technology are all taught in English.

Only mother tongue ( Meaning Chinese, Malay or Tamil ) is taught in their respective languages.

I do agree with the heavily accented part though.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:32 PM

Since we are at this topic , like to share a related article

Chinese traffic policeman can speak Singlish, goes viral in China – Mothership.SG

Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I think I need to clarify something here, in government schools over here in Singapore English is the 1st language not second language .
I understand that, no clarification needed. But you misunderstand our usage of the term "second language" in the US (perhaps because we have no official language, at least on the federal level, in the US) I think.
Not a big deal, but when we use this term "second language" we are referring to an individual, not the country - a second language is the language that is not the native language of the speaker, but that is used in the locale of that person

Old 07-11-2017, 01:33 PM

908 posts, read 548,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post

Science, Maths , Geography, History, Social Studies, Art, Music, Design and Technology are all taught in English.

Only mother tongue ( Meaning Chinese, Malay or Tamil ) is taught in their respective languages.

I do agree with the heavily accented part though.
I knew a few Singaporeans before and they spoke English with a typical Chinese accent with bad grammar. However when I asked they all insisted that English is their first language. I don't see how that could be the case unless everyone there, including the teachers, sound like that.

I would rate the thickness of the accent from my sample as comparable to someone who started learning English as an adult. These were folks in their 30's so maybe things are different now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or