U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-21-2019, 01:54 AM
 
384 posts, read 100,953 times
Reputation: 93

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
Keep in denial and watch as other cities took over eventually. Just like how Vietnam and Indo economy did.
Jakarta and cities in Vietnam might eventually take over the Manila in quality of life, but they havent yet:

Mercer Quality of Living Index (the 2019 ranking just came out):

Manila is ranked 137
Jakarta is 142
Ho Chi Minh City is 153
Hanoi is 155
https://mobilityexchange.mercer.com/...iving-rankings

Economist's Global Liveability Index (2018)
Manila- 103
Hanoi- 107
HCMC- 116
Jakarta- 119
Bangkok ranks 98th in EIU Global Liveability Index

The difference in the ranking has to do with the fact that Mercer is more focused on quality of living for expats and foreign businessmen, while the Economist index is for quality of life for general citizens. But you can see that Manila scores highest on both. Yes, that could change in the next few years. Duterte is making the quality of life worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2019, 07:26 AM
 
621 posts, read 381,659 times
Reputation: 145
That better transportation claim is debatable. How can you have better transportation, when in fact traffic congestion is still worse despite having lesser population and bigger land area than Metro Manila. Maybe some modes of transportation are better looking aesthetically but not necessarily better in total travel experience factors and all mode of transportation combined together. in both places.


Existing and upcoming constructions in Metro Manila.

LRT1 Extension update..


LRT2 Extension update...


MRT3 New Coaches...


MRT7 construction update...


Metro Manila Subway


North South Commuter Railway(NSCR)


PNR Clark Northrail Project


Makati Subway


BGC-Makati Monorail Line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2019, 04:34 PM
 
56 posts, read 8,525 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
That better transportation claim is debatable. How can you have better transportation, when in fact traffic congestion is still worse despite having lesser population and bigger land area than Metro Manila. Maybe some modes of transportation are better looking aesthetically but not necessarily better in total travel experience factors and all mode of transportation combined together. in both places.
Train made in Indonesia


Most of the bus made in Indonesia


Sure debatable,.. maybe ur manila less purchasing power to buy car or bike, maybe they use the money to buy house than stay in graveyard

Last edited by Pagpag_Masarap; 04-21-2019 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2019, 07:47 PM
 
221 posts, read 50,781 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
That better transportation claim is debatable. How can you have better transportation, when in fact traffic congestion is still worse despite having lesser population and bigger land area than Metro Manila. Maybe some modes of transportation are better looking aesthetically but not necessarily better in total travel experience factors and all mode of transportation combined together. in both places.
There are way more cars in Jakarta than in MetroManila. Most of them are MPVs that occupy quite big space on the road, often only carry one person. And traffic in both city is QUITE SIMILAR. Jakarta compensate higher number of cars with more and wider highways, many of them are elevated (you call it skyway). If you take all private cars in Jakarta and place them in MetroManila's roads, there will be traffic deadlock for sure.

Funny, you talk about experience when you never even visit Jakarta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2019, 10:25 PM
 
384 posts, read 100,953 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
There are way more cars in Jakarta than in MetroManila. Most of them are MPVs that occupy quite big space on the road, often only carry one person. And traffic in both city is QUITE SIMILAR. Jakarta compensate higher number of cars with more and wider highways, many of them are elevated (you call it skyway). If you take all private cars in Jakarta and place them in MetroManila's roads, there will be traffic deadlock for sure.

Funny, you talk about experience when you never even visit Jakarta.
I think Jakarta has better transportation because it has more options. BUT those big elevated highways create induced demand, which means more traffic. They also cut up neighborhoods. A lot of cities in the West are getting rid of elevated highways altogether. I think they're good for connecting cities and going long distances, and good for going around the perimeter of a city, but not running right through the city.

This video about Dubai explains the issues I have with how Jakarta is developing. I feel like Jakarta is developing the same way


From 2:45-5:30 is basically what I've been saying this whole time, but I couldnt put it into words like he does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2019, 11:51 PM
 
478 posts, read 188,814 times
Reputation: 141
Jakarta is better not only transportation, but there are others such as a more neat urban planning , Sudirman-Thamrin area is now more attractive with its new appearance such as wide sidewalks for pedestrians, and small gardens on the roadside complete with stools for a short stop, Jakarta has ivent world class like java jazz, tall buildings in Jakarta are decorated with videotron, zebra cross,more modern crossing bridges etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 AM
 
221 posts, read 50,781 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
I think Jakarta has better transportation because it has more options. BUT those big elevated highways create induced demand, which means more traffic. They also cut up neighborhoods. A lot of cities in the West are getting rid of elevated highways altogether. I think they're good for connecting cities and going long distances, and good for going around the perimeter of a city, but not running right through the city.

This video about Dubai explains the issues I have with how Jakarta is developing. I feel like Jakarta is developing the same way
That's pretty much the fastest, easiest way to avoid worsening traffic in the short run.
In the long run, Jakarta is building reliable interconnected public transportation systems that can reach even corner of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2019, 03:23 AM
 
478 posts, read 188,814 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Oh so you adore many Filipinos then since Philippines has so many Latin looking individuals?
Oh no Filipina look still filipina not latin , the most better looking is Latin American they is a real mixed blood of European and Eastern Europe people ( better looking ) ,for me when we look Filipinos is same like see Indonesians, Malays or Thais
yeahh btw Miss Universe is Catriona Gray half Filipinos - Scotland when she was in Indonesia and met President Jokowi with several contestants Puteri Indonesia when shaking hand with President Jokowi and he President thought Catriona Gray is Indonesian he said “Dari mana?” refers to where she comes (province) from then he realized she was Miss Universe by her sash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 AM
 
384 posts, read 100,953 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Jakarta is better not only transportation, but there are others such as a more neat urban planning , Sudirman-Thamrin area is now more attractive with its new appearance such as wide sidewalks for pedestrians, and small gardens on the roadside complete with stools for a short stop, Jakarta has ivent world class like java jazz, tall buildings in Jakarta are decorated with videotron, zebra cross,more modern crossing bridges etc.
The urban planning in those areas looks like the Dubai video I posted. Big highways with skyscrapers along the sides. Not walkable CBDs with smaller streets. There is public transportation and sidewalks, but they mainly serve for people to get to and from work. Not a lot going on outside. Most of the life is inside the malls, like in Dubai. Jakarta seems to want to develop into a Dubai-style city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 AM
 
621 posts, read 381,659 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
There are way more cars in Jakarta than in MetroManila. Most of them are MPVs that occupy quite big space on the road, often only carry one person. And traffic in both city is QUITE SIMILAR. Jakarta compensate higher number of cars with more and wider highways, many of them are elevated (you call it skyway). If you take all private cars in Jakarta and place them in MetroManila's roads, there will be traffic deadlock for sure.

Funny, you talk about experience when you never even visit Jakarta.
Yes its funnier because you have been to both and you cant spot the difference? I have not been there but sure some of my friends had been and they wont tell a lie to me. Having more cars but you also have more motorcycles than Manila which is supposed to be occupying little space and yet most of my friends who had been there and most surveys and studies I have seen shows Jakarta one of the most congested traffic city in the world. Manila maybe congested too a bit similar but not probably as horrendous than yours. Having more cars but having bigger land area and as you said wider highways and more options? and yet more traffic. Still that doesn't make sense at all. Something is really wrong with how you manage your city. There's something on the grassroots level that isn't working right on your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Jakarta is better not only transportation, but there are others such as a more neat urban planning , Sudirman-Thamrin area is now more attractive with its new appearance such as wide sidewalks for pedestrians, and small gardens on the roadside complete with stools for a short stop, Jakarta has ivent world class like java jazz, tall buildings in Jakarta are decorated with videotron, zebra cross,more modern crossing bridges etc.
You might want to come out of your shell to see the neat urban areas in Manila to better have overview if what you are claiming is true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top