U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 AM
 
621 posts, read 383,013 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
The tittle said so. "Like it or not, Jakarta is still the best (between two)"
00:33 The father asked "Does it look like Jakarta?" The girl answered "No, Jakarta is way cooler". Then the father asked another question "Does it feel like you are in foreign country?" The girl answered "No".

He said lots of positive things about Manila CBD actually. Outdoor hangout place was one of them. Thus he said those words.

But then again, once you get out of those CBDs, reality hit you so hard in the face. Like in 14:33 when "bicycle-car" passes through a poor neighborhood. The father said "It can transport upto 6 people. Unbelievable. There's nothing like this in Jakarta (in negative tone)"

Just like I said before and I will say it again. Development in Jakarta is pretty much well distributed from city center to the farthest area of the city. While Manila is so concentrated inside some of its CBDs. To the degree where its CBDs can look nicer than Jakarta's, but outside those areas can be alot worse.
I'm pretty sure the title before said something like Jakarta versus Manila, and then it changed to "like it or not blah blah." Of course that would discourage and disappoint viewers from your country if he put Manila is better.

Surely you have not been able to travel the whole Metro Manila to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
But person in the vid said Jakarta was still better.

And what does it mean when he said "panis? Jakarta, panis... make it better...to the governor of Jakarta blah blah"?

Tricycles are like tuktuks, having one or not having doesn't entail your place is better or not, otherwise Bangkok would be so below Jakarta if that is how we view it.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2019, 02:06 PM
 
392 posts, read 103,724 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
I'm pretty sure the title before said something like Jakarta versus Manila, and then it changed to "like it or not blah blah." Of course that would discourage and disappoint viewers from your country if he put Manila is better.

Surely you have not been able to travel the whole Metro Manila to say that.




And what does it mean when he said "panis? Jakarta, panis... make it better...to the governor of Jakarta blah blah"?

Tricycles are like tuktuks, having one or not having doesn't entail your place is better or not, otherwise Bangkok would be so below Jakarta if that is how we view it.
He said “Anies” (governor of Jakarta) telling him to make Jakarta better. And he said “Jakarta should be like this” (in Indonesian) as he was walking through BGC. SCBD may be taller and shinier but it cant touch BGC when it comes to the ground-level experience and as an actual neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 05:54 PM
 
621 posts, read 383,013 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
He said “Anies” (governor of Jakarta) telling him to make Jakarta better. And he said “Jakarta should be like this” (in Indonesian) as he was walking through BGC. SCBD may be taller and shinier but it cant touch BGC when it comes to the ground-level experience and as an actual neighborhood.
ah ok gotcha! now I know that sums up and somehow answer which one is better
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 PM
 
25 posts, read 3,740 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
I'm pretty sure the title before said something like Jakarta versus Manila, and then it changed to "like it or not blah blah." Of course that would discourage and disappoint viewers from your country if he put Manila is better.

Surely you have not been able to travel the whole Metro Manila to say that.




And what does it mean when he said "panis? Jakarta, panis... make it better...to the governor of Jakarta blah blah"?

Tricycles are like tuktuks, having one or not having doesn't entail your place is better or not, otherwise Bangkok would be so below Jakarta if that is how we view it.
On the contrary many realize that Jakarta is such a mess, that people like me can easily say that cities like Bangkok or KL are better. But Manila? Well its almost equal.

In terms of walkability you can judge:
https://news.mb.com.ph/2017/07/22/ph...in-exercising/

Average Filipino only walk 500 more steps than Indonesian. Many people in Manila also relied on mobile apps like Grab for transport. Somehow bashing Jakarta's walkable area and less clustered skyscraper make a city better? Err.. So if I cherry pick Tondo, does that make Jakarta better?

Actually I don't mind if we just call him panis.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 PM
 
392 posts, read 103,724 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangadi View Post
On the contrary many realize that Jakarta is such a mess, that people like me can easily say that cities like Bangkok or KL are better. But Manila? Well its almost equal.

In terms of walkability you can judge:
https://news.mb.com.ph/2017/07/22/ph...in-exercising/

Average Filipino only walk 500 more steps than Indonesian. Many people in Manila also relied on mobile apps like Grab for transport. Somehow bashing Jakarta's walkable area and less clustered skyscraper make a city better? Err.. So if I cherry pick Tondo, does that make Jakarta better?

Actually I don't mind if we just call him panis.
That's the Philippines vs Indonesia. We're talking about Manila vs Jakarta. Manila has a higher walkability score.

https://www.ictct.net/migrated_2014/...n%20Cities.pdf

(page 11 & 12) Jakarta is one of the least walkable of the cities listed and Manila is one of the most walkable. But I hope they update studies like this.

And yeah, BGC doesnt represent most of Manila, but when we have people from Jakarta posting SCBD, it's only fair to for Manila posters to show BGC. If we were to compare SCBD to BGC, BGC wins by far. Not only is it more walkable, with more street-level activity (it's not centered around an indoor mall), it's also much bigger. BGC is more then 5 times bigger than SCBD. BGC is bigger than SCBD, Mega Kuningan, Rasuna Epicentrum, and Kuningan Persada all combined. And then there's Makati- the CBD part of Makati is just as big as BGC.


lol, what does Panis mean in Indonesian?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 AM
 
83 posts, read 46,086 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangadi View Post
If they didn't move the capital away from West Java, then it would continue to suffer population pressure. Plus Jakarta is still facing risk of drowning most of its northern part. Also that Jakarta's traffic already cost the government A LOT of money.

On the other hand Palangkaraya could be just that small town in the middle of no where, where the government do their dramas.

Also. moving the capital away from Jakarta has always been a dream of the country since colonial period.


(bron: 'Bandoeng, Stad in de Bergen', 1918)

Unfortunately Bandung is no longer that ideal.
in the Dutch colonial future i think West Java Bandung was still feasible as a substitute for the capital city but at the present time it is not, but to being a city of Bandung business still has a chance, the new capital city must be in a new place to build a new capital city with a new design that will look cool ✌.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 01:13 AM
 
83 posts, read 46,086 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
yeah btw.. Manila have top seed is "Walkable" and still lack infrastructure especially public transportation , airport and still less tourists ...
they still not can compete with Jakarta
in that case, the point is to become a developed city needs a good infrastructure, prosperous people are not a business area or walkable or air pollution, street singers, homeless beggars hahaha 🤣

Philipines still low in foreign tourist compared to Indonesia

Ranking of Visits of Foreign Tourists Coming to Countries in Southeast Asia
https://kumparan.com/@kumparantravel...83644923053122

Thailand dengan 38,3 juta wisatawan asing

Malaysia dengan 25,8 juta wisatawan asing

Singapura dengan 18,5 juta wisatawan asing

Indonesia dengan 15,8 juta wisatawan asing

Vietnam dengan 15,4 juta wisatawan asing

Filipina dengan 7,1 juta wisatawan asing

Kamboja dengan 6,2 juta wisatawan asing

Laos dengan 4,1 juta wisatawan asing

Myanmar dengan 3,6 juta wisatawan asing

Brunei dengan 1,4 juta wisatawan asing

this Bule talking about Ph tourism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhpMPV_EGD8
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 02:12 AM
 
226 posts, read 52,585 times
Reputation: 34
Best Airports 2019 by Skytrax : 60 to 70 million passengers
1. Singapore Changi
2. Seoul Incheon
3. Frankfurt
4. Denver
5. Guangzhou
6. Jakarta
7. Bangkok Suvarnabhumi

8. Dallas/Fort Worth
9. Delhi
10. New York JFK


Best Airport Staff in Asia 2019 by Skytrax
1. Tokyo Narita
2. Seoul Incheon
3. Tokyo Haneda
4. Centrair Nagoya
5. Singapore Changi
6. Kansai
7. Taiwan Taoyuan
8. Hong Kong
9. Guangzhou
10. Jakarta
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 06:10 AM
 
25 posts, read 3,740 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
That's the Philippines vs Indonesia. We're talking about Manila vs Jakarta. Manila has a higher walkability score.

https://www.ictct.net/migrated_2014/...n%20Cities.pdf

(page 11 & 12) Jakarta is one of the least walkable of the cities listed and Manila is one of the most walkable. But I hope they update studies like this.

And yeah, BGC doesnt represent most of Manila, but when we have people from Jakarta posting SCBD, it's only fair to for Manila posters to show BGC. If we were to compare SCBD to BGC, BGC wins by far. Not only is it more walkable, with more street-level activity (it's not centered around an indoor mall), it's also much bigger. BGC is more then 5 times bigger than SCBD. BGC is bigger than SCBD, Mega Kuningan, Rasuna Epicentrum, and Kuningan Persada all combined. And then there's Makati- the CBD part of Makati is just as big as BGC.


lol, what does Panis mean in Indonesian?
Well yes BGC is very well polished area of the Metro, while Jakarta's most polished area usually are adjecent to large Kampung (urban villages).

There are roughly 5 million cars and 15 million motorbike ownership within the greater city area. The vehicle industry encourage the development of cities to the present day. Very few cities can be said to be pedestrian friendly. Even the most developed part of Bali and Surabaya don't have proper public transportation to support the population.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/polit...ias-motorbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnycaritta View Post
in the Dutch colonial future i think West Java Bandung was still feasible as a substitute for the capital city but at the present time it is not, but to being a city of Bandung business still has a chance, the new capital city must be in a new place to build a new capital city with a new design that will look cool ✌.
Sadly Bandung is now too congested with people from Jakarta, moving the capital there is just terrible. But it does have potential to attract talents.

I really hope that North Bandung wouldn't lose its colonial charm in future development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnycaritta View Post
they still not can compete with Jakarta
in that case, the point is to become a developed city needs a good infrastructure, prosperous people are not a business area or walkable or air pollution, street singers, homeless beggars hahaha ��

Philipines still low in foreign tourist compared to Indonesia

Ranking of Visits of Foreign Tourists Coming to Countries in Southeast Asia
https://kumparan.com/@kumparantravel...83644923053122
In terms of foreign tourist, Indonesia is definitely ahead. Bali and Yogyakarta area are very popular for much longer. Indonesia nowadays are focusing more on domestic tourism, cities like Bandung, Malang and Bukittinggi gets really crowded on weekends. As for international tourism? well it really did open up more visa free opportunity.

But as for Manila and Jakarta? well it would take tourist that can withstand chaos. Both are typical metropolis of Southeast Asia, with shopping, dining, nightlife, entertainment and all of you can think of a big city. Jakarta might be safer, but the population is religiously less tolerant compared to Filipino (not hardcore though). Which can be a turn off to Western tourist. They're not Malacca, Penang or Hoi An, but both have architectural gems, with Manila's museum being way better than most in Jakarta.

While BRT and KRL exist most tourist don't use them, the MRT of Jakarta provide them access to several major spots, as: kota, monas, senayan, kebayoran. So we shall see how effective they are.

Last edited by Mangadi; 05-15-2019 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: wrong figure
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 PM
 
392 posts, read 103,724 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnycaritta View Post
they still not can compete with Jakarta
in that case, the point is to become a developed city needs a good infrastructure, prosperous people are not a business area or walkable or air pollution, street singers, homeless beggars hahaha ��

Philipines still low in foreign tourist compared to Indonesia

Ranking of Visits of Foreign Tourists Coming to Countries in Southeast Asia
https://kumparan.com/@kumparantravel...83644923053122

Thailand dengan 38,3 juta wisatawan asing

Malaysia dengan 25,8 juta wisatawan asing

Singapura dengan 18,5 juta wisatawan asing

Indonesia dengan 15,8 juta wisatawan asing

Vietnam dengan 15,4 juta wisatawan asing

Filipina dengan 7,1 juta wisatawan asing

Kamboja dengan 6,2 juta wisatawan asing

Laos dengan 4,1 juta wisatawan asing

Myanmar dengan 3,6 juta wisatawan asing

Brunei dengan 1,4 juta wisatawan asing

this Bule talking about Ph tourism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhpMPV_EGD8
So why does Jakarta have the worst air pollution in Asian according to the most recent study that came out this year? And why does Manila have a higher quality of life (according to Mercer and the Economist) than Jakarta? Quality of life takes many different aspects into account. Infrastructure isnt just about transportation. What about water infrastructure that is causing Jakarta to sink because people are drilling their own water.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top